Help! Does he look okay? I'm afraid he might be sick or he might get sick soon

Handling to move him... One hand in front for him to walk up on and one hand from behind to encourage him to walk up on to the other one. This is typically the easiest way.

What are your temps now?

Low humidity does not cause an RI... Stress in an incorrect overly wet and hot environment can lead to one.

Hi welcome to the forums. It looks like others have covered most things with you.

I just wanted to add you may want to move that lamp that’s near his cage. It looks reflective and if he can see himself in it, it will stress him out.

I doubt the humidity was at 20% especially since you have been misting so much.
I haven't had a working hygrometer until about two days ago and after misting with a proper system it gets up to 40% within 3-4 minutes but when I was hand misting my old hygrometer displayed "lo" which made me think the humidity was too low for a reading. I hand-misted again today just to see if how'd he react to it and after the humidity registered at 20%. I'm going to cover the lamp up, I had no idea that could be a potential stressor. I just wanted to make sure Fred's behavior was just because he's adjusting and not because he's sick or getting sick. Thank you for your help!

I haven't had a working hygrometer until about two days ago and after misting with a proper system it gets up to 40% within 3-4 minutes but when I was hand misting my old hygrometer displayed "lo" which made me think the humidity was too low for a reading. I hand-misted again today just to see if how'd he react to it and after the humidity registered at 20%. I'm going to cover the lamp up, I had no idea that could be a potential stressor. I just wanted to make sure Fred's behavior was just because he's adjusting and not because he's sick or getting sick. Thank you for your help!

I don’t think your hygrometer is working. If your house was that dry you would probably be having health issue yourself. And since you said you have palm trees I’m assuming your somewhere with a somewhat tropical Climate?

Sorry for the wait on that I just finished putting more branches in his enclosures. His new temps are 83 on his basking spot and 75-77 degrees at the very bottom of the cage. The ambient temperature is usually between 75 and 77 degrees. His humidity before misting is usually 21-23% and after automated misting for a few minutes 28-40%. I know his humidity needs to be a little higher because he's a panther I'm just trying not to be too invasive at the moment. I handled him with some help he ran down my arm, bit me, and then ran up my back trying to get back into his enclosure but I put him on a money tree until we were done putting up branches.

I don’t think your hygrometer is working. If your house was that dry you would probably be having health issue yourself. And since you said you have palm trees I’m assuming your somewhere with a somewhat tropical Climate?
I'm currently getting my humidity readings from the mistking hygrometer. My old one just said "lo" all day and offered no specific reading. I live in Las Vegas and our climate is very dry even so, I am probably just worrying too much. I'm really just trying my best not to stress him out too much so every time he gets dark or inactive I'm thinking he might be sick.

Christmas update:
I have since switched to a 75 watt bulb and it raised his temperatures by a a good amount. I'm ordering him hornworms, black solider fly larva, silkworms, and 1/2 inch banded crickets from Josh's frogs. I had him on a diet of only wax worms because that's all I could find locally and I wasn't sure if he would eat much his first week home even though I was aware they were only meant to be treats. I also ordered the right timer for his mister but for some odd reason he really hates the mister. He was turning his nice colors for some days then after misting he was just black for about two days. He wasn't sleeping during the day but for the last few days he's been less active and just laying in a sleeping position with his tail curled up by his basking spot. He was laying like that for a couple hours this morning but he was light from the time he woke up and he's been climbing again. When I first hand misted this morning he turned bright again. He ate yesterday (6 worms I think) but he hasn't eaten yet today. He'll get new bugs by next week and his new branches are going in today. Does anyone have any tips for handling? I know they aren't supposed to be handled at this stage because they get stressed but I need to move him onto a plant for a bit so I can get in his cage and zip-tie the new branches up Thank you for all your help so far guys! My set up is nerve wracking because he basically has all the wrong things or things that aren't working out like the wrong wattage, the auto-mister, and his diet (or lack of verity in it). Any who hopefully once his new bugs and timer come in he'll be happier. Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to you too and your family! And there’s actually a lot of chameleons that seem to HATE being misted, including mine. I have her humidity high at night so she gets her hydration mostly thru fog drinking, I also run a dripper and she will walk under it maybe once a week to bathe only (never to drink), but other than that avoids it like the plague. I hand mist the enclosure before lights on and after lights out so she’s already hunkered down and it doesn’t bother her. I hate stressing my chameleon so this way has been much better for me and my chameleon. ☺️

Merry Christmas to you too and your family! And there’s actually a lot of chameleons that seem to HATE being misted, including mine. I have her humidity high at night so she gets her hydration mostly thru fog drinking, I also run a dripper and she will walk under it maybe once a week to bathe only (never to drink), but other than that avoids it like the plague. I hand mist the enclosure before lights on and after lights out so she’s already hunkered down and it doesn’t bother her. I hate stressing my chameleon so this way has been much better for me and my chameleon. ☺
Ooohh this sounds really promising thank you for posting the routine.

for now he needs more to hide in when they get used to u they hide much less, also do not mist Cham all the time just the leaves but occasionally allow mist to help him clean his eyes

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Ambilobe panther chameleon. Male. 3 months. One week, arrived on 12/17/2020.

Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
I try and see if he will take my finger every day in addition to an attempt to hand feed a worm.

Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Wax worms. As much as he will eat, has eaten as much as 6 in a day. I offer & leave food 3 times a day usally after morning and evening no time after 7:30, he goes to bed at 8:00.

Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Reptivite without D3 6 days a week then repti-cal calcium with D3 on Sundays. Bee pollen all week with all supplements. Has not been getting vitamins as he only recently started eating constantly.

Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
I hand misting with a hair spray bottle (has been cleaned before use) that releases mist. I mist until all plants are completely covered at least 3 times a day (takes about 4/5 minutes). I never see him drinking but his urates are not alarming. No dripper yet.

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
brown then bright white, crème, and a VERY SLIGHT orange yesterday. Usually watery. Never tested but from a reputable breeder.

History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Not that I know of.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Tall hybrid dragon strand cage. 24x24x48 size. PVC on 3 sides, acrylic door. Screen top and service door.

Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Arcadia 6% T5HO UVB blub. 65 watt dimmable flood light and ceramic flucker's clamp lamp fixture for heat bulb.

Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Usually 77/78 at the top of the cage and 75 at the bottom unfortunately. 70 when I wake up. Temperature gun to double-check and thermometer that tells usual.

Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I am not sure, hygrometer not working! Misting to keep up humidity. (Will Have another hygrometer soon)

Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Golden pothos, lemon lime dracanea, umbrella pants, dracanea compacta.

Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Next to the bed. 15 feet from my celling vent. Facing the bed and gets visited by parent despite discouragement. On a stand about 3/4 ft away form the floor.

Location - Where are you geographically located?
Las vegas, Nevada.

Current Problem - possible Sickness, de-hydration, stress related illness

Took a while to fill out, yes I care about my cham!
DO NOT FEED THAT MANY WAXWORMS EVER

Back
Top Bottom