Get my chameleon to like me?

Nikkipar

New here! Tx for your advice! I have a good setup, but when I get too close my Cham puffs up. What are some tips/tricks I can do to get my Cham to like and trust me.... tx!

Welcome! Answer these questions and you’ll get more advice than you can stand! I realize your not asking for advise on husbandry specifically but if your Cham is under constant stress you won’t have the basic foundation in place to allow him to relax around you enough so he can trust you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

I would suggest handfeeding. It's an easy way to teach your chameleon that you=feeding time. I'm not sure exactly how you handfeed, but the way that works for me is to start very low in the cage and slowlyyy bring the insect up to the cham. That way he sees it coming and feels safe that he's higher up. Any time I go above his head or eye level, he'll puff up. Patience and observing what works and what doesn't for your individual chameleon is the best strategy.

Just be aware that hand feeding may be the as far as you get with some chameleons. I've been trying the last month or so to coax my Veiled out of the cage with treats, but he absolutely refuses. The farthest he'll get is halfway on my hand, then goes back to his cage.:mad: So close!!!

Welcome! Answer these questions and you’ll get more advice than you can stand! I realize your not asking for advise on husbandry specifically but if your Cham is under constant stress you won’t have the basic foundation in place to allow him to relax around you enough so he can trust you.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful.

Attachments

• 325A43FD-A19C-400B-8E4A-F714F3138D7E.jpeg
    325A43FD-A19C-400B-8E4A-F714F3138D7E.jpeg
    150.2 KB · Views: 139
  • A843F00B-76D4-4DB0-AD6A-C16BCCC8C769.jpeg
    A843F00B-76D4-4DB0-AD6A-C16BCCC8C769.jpeg
    455.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 42454A34-180C-4A85-B896-D12FA69EAB0E.jpeg
    42454A34-180C-4A85-B896-D12FA69EAB0E.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 26C377B1-81BA-4E3E-9C1F-49308E8A31E4.jpeg
    26C377B1-81BA-4E3E-9C1F-49308E8A31E4.jpeg
    419.7 KB · Views: 128
Panther Cham male
I’m feeding crickets dusted in Sticky Tongue. I try to hold him twice a day. I’ve had him 4 days so don’t expect total trust lol. Just trying to build good habits. I haven’t taken him to the vet yet. Hopefully Monday.

Panther Cham male
I’m feeding crickets dusted in Sticky Tongue. I try to hold him twice a day. I’ve had him 4 days so don’t expect total trust lol. Just trying to build good habits. I haven’t taken him to the vet yet. Hopefully Monday.
Okay, you need more branches and vines, mostly horizontal, everywhere! Please fill out the form, and don’t handle your cham that much! Have you read the panther care sheet here?

I have had my little guy for 5 months now and he is just starting to eat from my hand. It took a lot of standing in front of his cage with his fav food for 20min and then one day he came running to take it from my hand. I was so excited I almost forgot what I was doing.

I used to have a similar situation, my best advice is instead of trying to take him out or come near it, just spend time around him, he needs to know you wont bother him everytime you see him because of you bother him everytime you see him he'll think of u as a nuisance. I moved my chameleon into my bedroom because that is where me and him would be together most and when I would have the time to just take and admire him, he used to try to bite me everytime I put food in or misted but now he'll come to the front of the cage for feeding time and sometimes crawl on me. another tip for taking him out when its ime to feed is to put food in your hand and let him come to you, best of luck with the little guy

I agree with all of above, he needs more branches/vines and a lot more foliage to make him feel safe and secure. The safer he feels=the less stressed he will be. Stick a ton more plants in there and make sure he's in a place where there isnt much human traffic. I would also keep the dog well away, it's scary enough having huge humans to live with!

As long as your doing all you can to make him feel safe, it's a waiting game.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom