Genetics? How do they work? ( Rather Long Post )

I thought it was:

Breeding a High end Translucent Veiled Chameleon with a Low end Translucent Veiled Chameleon

50% high, 50% low

Breeding a High end Translucent Veiled Chameleon with a regular Veiled Chameleon

100% low end

Breeding a Low end Translucent Veiled Chameleon with a Regular Veiled Chameleon

50% of both low and normals

I'm a little tired, so I could very well be thinking incorrectly.

could\ this\ be\ like\ human\ hair?\ with\ more\ than\ \ possable\ trait?\ if\ so\ your\ punnet\ squares\ wont\ show\ acuratly.\ :D
all\ the\ breeders\ say\ breed\ a\ low\ end\ with\ a\ high\ end\ trans\ veiled\ for\ highend\ results?

sorry\ for\ slashes\ broke\ laptop.:(

Translucent sounds a lot like a co-dominant gene to me. I've got experience breeding boa morphs, not chameleons, but the Hypomelanistic gene in boas is a co-dominant one. Co-dominant X co-dominant= completel dominant AKA super form. Hypo times Hypo = 1/2 super hypo, 1/2 hypo. Super hypo times normal= All hypo. Hypo times normal= 1/2 hypo, 1/2 normal. Now, there could be several different genes for color for Chameleons, and there are probably more different color alleles as well which is why not all of this matches up with translucent chams. But from what you described, neither seem like a single dominant OR recessive trait.

Well said, as far as the translucent gene goes, I don't see it as being strictly dominant or recessive.

I think that the translucent gene is probably of variable expressivity, just like leg height in Munchkin cats, and piebalding in ball pythons.

Also, to the OP, when you are using binomial nomenclature the species name is never capitalized. (Just a pet peeve of mine :))

Last edited:
Also, to the OP, when you are using binomial nomenclature the species name is never capitalized. (Just a pet peeve of mine :))

Haha! I am sorry, it was really late at night when i posted that and I was randomly capitalizing things.

And to the Mad slasher down there JK! It very well could be, this is why i am gathering opinions and information on how reptiles pass on genetics. The "experiment" i am undertaking is a female regular veiled chameleon. Hopefully the two veils will breed and we will have our answer in about 1 1/2 years

So this should be very interesting to say the least.

Anyone out here have experience breeding translucents?

Back
Top Bottom