Furcifer bifidus

No way this is a complete other taxa,all the close related species live up to maximum 5 years(i kept them all)

What do you mean by this Jurgen? "A complete other taxa". I was under the impression that balteatus was actually under the bifidus complex. I know I read that but with so little info out there this could be incorrect, or I just may not understand. Can you explain? It kind of sounds like you are saying they are not closely related at all...

It kind of sounds a bit negative. Maybe give me and my experience the benefit of the doubt. Maybe I'll surprise you... ;) We all want to succeed Jurgen.

Don't forget we're from different countries with different cultures and languages so inflection can sometimes be misunderstood via reading text alone. I think Jurgen was just getting frustrated at the fact that he's experienced what he's explaining while everyone else is making assumptions based on "similarities" between species. If this method were accurate, we would assume that F.antimena to only live a year since they resemble F.lambordi, or vice versa!

We're currently working with small 1.2 group of F.willsii and we also have 1.3 F.petteri that we've been housing for a few months now. I can attest to the petteri enjoying warmer conditions since we actually have them outdoors currently enjoying the Florida weather but I almost always find the F.willsii basking under their heat lamps for a substantial amount of time during the day. If I were more bold I would attempt to house them outside as well, but they're just so rare that I really don't want to take the risk on that right now (since the willsii have been housed indoors since the day we received them).

I truly hope you have success with your male bifidus. I've seen those for sale for a few months and there's no saying how they were housed (or if they were treated etc) before they shipped to you. At the very least you have eggs, so there is still hope this can work out. :)

Good luck!

Luis

It also wouldn't hurt to have a fecal done on the male, just in case. It's better to be safe than sorry with such expensive animals. ;)

Luis

20 years is incredible long,i guess 10 to 15 is more realistic.
don´t take this as jumping at you but you said that your furcifer balteatus are from the 95 imports, so that would make them more or less 20years? then this points that it is not that uncommon for them to live that long?

Last edited:
Don't forget we're from different countries with different cultures and languages so inflection can sometimes be misunderstood via reading text alone. I think Jurgen was just getting frustrated at the fact that he's experienced what he's explaining while everyone else is making assumptions based on "similarities" between species. If this method were accurate, we would assume that F.antimena to only live a year since they resemble F.lambordi, or vice versa!

We're currently working with small 1.2 group of F.willsii and we also have 1.3 F.petteri that we've been housing for a few months now. I can attest to the petteri enjoying warmer conditions since we actually have them outdoors currently enjoying the Florida weather but I almost always find the F.willsii basking under their heat lamps for a substantial amount of time during the day. If I were more bold I would attempt to house them outside as well, but they're just so rare that I really don't want to take the risk on that right now (since the willsii have been housed indoors since the day we received them).

I truly hope you have success with your male bifidus. I've seen those for sale for a few months and there's no saying how they were housed (or if they were treated etc) before they shipped to you. At the very least you have eggs, so there is still hope this can work out. :)

Good luck!

Luis

Thanks for the post Luis. It is very much appreciated. Also, no disrespect was meant to Jurgen. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and his experience, but from what I gather he has not kept bifidus. What is confusing me is that he stated that balteatus have quite long life spans but that bifidus would not. My information is coming from this excerpt from adcham,

"A medium-sized chameleon from the coastal rainforests of eastern and northeastern Madagascar, F. bifidus reaches total lengths of as much as 15-17 inches. It is one of the larger species of the bifidus group which includes F. minor, F. balteatus, F. wilsii, and F. petteri. Female bifidus lack the paired, pointed, spatulate rostral processes of the male. These processes are extensions of the canthi rostralis. The casque is flattened and lacks occipital lobes. Basic body coloration is green but may vary to browns and grays. A white line is often apparent on the ventral surface of the tail. Females tend to be a lighter green and may also exhibit an orange or even a red coloration with blue scales scattered over the head. There is a low dorsal crest but gular and ventral crests are absent. This is an oviparous species but little else is known concerning its reproduction and captive husbandry. "

This is why I am under the impression that if balteatus can live that long, why not bifidus. Basically it comes down to the simple fact that no body knows, but I am guessing bifidus is longer lived than say F. willsii, and F. petteri due to being up there in size with balteatus. but that is my opinion and I certainly do not have the experience that some of you have when it comes to some of these chams. I am just grateful everyone is willing to share their information. :)

Thanks for the post Luis. It is very much appreciated. Also, no disrespect was meant to Jurgen. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and his experience, but from what I gather he has not kept bifidus. What is confusing me is that he stated that balteatus have quite long life spans but that bifidus would not. My information is coming from this excerpt from adcham,

"A medium-sized chameleon from the coastal rainforests of eastern and northeastern Madagascar, F. bifidus reaches total lengths of as much as 15-17 inches. It is one of the larger species of the bifidus group which includes F. minor, F. balteatus, F. wilsii, and F. petteri. Female bifidus lack the paired, pointed, spatulate rostral processes of the male. These processes are extensions of the canthi rostralis. The casque is flattened and lacks occipital lobes. Basic body coloration is green but may vary to browns and grays. A white line is often apparent on the ventral surface of the tail. Females tend to be a lighter green and may also exhibit an orange or even a red coloration with blue scales scattered over the head. There is a low dorsal crest but gular and ventral crests are absent. This is an oviparous species but little else is known concerning its reproduction and captive husbandry. "

This is why I am under the impression that if balteatus can live that long, why not bifidus. Basically it comes down to the simple fact that no body knows, but I am guessing bifidus is longer lived than say F. willsii, and F. petteri due to being up there in size with balteatus. but that is my opinion and I certainly do not have the experience that some of you have when it comes to some of these chams. I am just grateful everyone is willing to share their information. :)

thats the track I was on :)

Last edited:

I completely understand, we're all trying to put the pieces together on these newer quota species.

Either way, take very good care of those eggs! They're priceless right now. :)

Luis

Last edited:
I completely understand, we're all trying to put the pieces together on these newer quota species.

Either way, take very good care of those eggs! They're priceless right now. :)

Luis

Jeez Luis. Way to pile the pressure on. Hahaha. I am doing my best and have even purchased a second incubator to have on stand by, just in case.

Luis

I based my statement/estimate on a reported wild caught Furcifer willsii that lived 8 years plus in captivity. If that was an isolated case we shall see. That plus Fucifer willsii being a similar species to a larger species Furcifer bifidus I could consider Furcifer bifidus living over 10 years, as seen that most larger chameleon species live longer than smaller chameleon species.

With my logic it would be Furcifer antimena living 3-5 years as they are a larger species to Frucifer labordi that only live reported less than 1 year.

I am looking forward to the answer.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
It also wouldn't hurt to have a fecal done on the male, just in case. It's better to be safe than sorry with such expensive animals. ;)

Luis

Also, as a follow up to the other information you posted in your response. I wanted him to settle in and eat before any other stressor is brought on, But I will be bringing him in this week for fecal and check up. I am nervous about the qualification of the vet I am going to be using though. He is a reptile vet but am unsure of the chameleon experience, especially the more sensitive ones.

Also, it is awesome to see you got some willsii and peretti. Good luck with them! Any eggs or gravid females?

Also, as a follow up to the other information you posted in your response. I wanted him to settle in and eat before any other stressor is brought on, But I will be bringing him in this week for fecal and check up. I am nervous about the qualification of the vet I am going to be using though. He is a reptile vet but am unsure of the chameleon experience, especially the more sensitive ones.

Also, it is awesome to see you got some willsii and peretti. Good luck with them! Any eggs or gravid females?

no stress is really needed for a fecal, you just collet new lay poop and send it in to the vet:)

no stress is really needed for a fecal, you just collet new lay poop and send it in to the vet:)

Hey lee. Thanks for the response. I guess I should have elaborated. I would be taking him in for a check up at the same time that I bring the fecal sample in.

Well he's gaining weight. We have gone from 64g to almost 68g now. One observation I have made is that he hates crickets with a passion, he hides if I put them in his enclosure. He absolutely loves super worms, looks interested in discoids (but cannot figure out how to get them to stay in one place high enough in the enclosure for him), terrified of hornworms (he will literally jump off his branch to escape). I have tried house flys too, this has I have not actually seen him eat but they do seem to disappear. I am semi content with the worms right now just because of their fat content and I like that they will bulk him up a bit but I will eventually need other options and soon. Any ideas?

Try green banana roaches if he's not interested in the discoids. (Usually I cup feed with roaches)

Have you tried any stick bugs or maybe silkworms?

Chase

Try green banana roaches if he's not interested in the discoids. (Usually I cup feed with roaches)

Have you tried any stick bugs or maybe silkworms?

Chase

I think I am going to keep on with the discoids and Dubia. But I am super curious about the stick bugs, are there good sources for these. I usually feet mantis to new chams but seem to have missed the season and no one has ooths now.

I think I am going to keep on with the discoids and Dubia. But I am super curious about the stick bugs, are there good sources for these. I usually feet mantis to new chams but seem to have missed the season and no one has ooths now.

Nick Barta

I could never get some of my wild caught to recognize horn worms or silkworms as food. I don’t know if caterpillars are something they came across in the wild and were on the menu or not.

However I did find that many of them wouldn’t pass up green coloured insects like katydids and grasshoppers. If you live in a pesticide free area you can collect these as supplemental feeders. Also dusting some prey items in Spirulina (found in most health food stores) turns any insect into that irresistible green colour and may trick the chameleon into eating an otherwise unrecognized or unwanted insect.

I could never get some of my wild caught to recognize horn worms or silkworms as food. I don’t know if caterpillars are something they came across in the wild and were on the menu or not.

However I did find that many of them wouldn’t pass up green coloured insects like katydids and grasshoppers. If you live in a pesticide free area you can collect these as supplemental feeders. Also dusting some prey items in Spirulina (found in most health food stores) turns any insect into that irresistible green colour and may trick the chameleon into eating an otherwise unrecognized or unwanted insect.

Trace. Yeah he is absolutely terrified of horn worms. He acts as though it is going to kill him and literally will drop or leap from the branch he is on. Super odd. I do have an area near by that gets covered in tiny grasshoppers and I know they are pesticide free, I will have to try them. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom