frightened or excited?

lizzleberry

took pascal outside today
it's sunny and fairly warm - probably not warm enough but in the sun it would have been 24-26 degreen C so he'd be ok for a few minutes
im finding he acts pretty weird when out in the open,
his skin goes a dark green with other shades of green, and he has white patches
im not sure if he's unhappy or not, i know when ive upset him because the white patches go black and the rest of him follows - starting with the face.
but outside, sure they werent his normal contented colors and they werent his "im going to escape and it's oh so exciting" colors (lots of stripes and spots and pattenrs)
but they werent what ive seen much before
i recognise them as sort of similar to his basking colors when last summer he used to sit on the edge of the flex and bask in the late afternoon sun which lands directly on his flex for a few hours of the day.
wondering what it sounds like.
other than the colors he was a total coward, hid on my elbow and refused to move.
he had a few passers by stop and admire him (people in england = most of us have never seen a chameleon in person before, most of those people dont know what a chameleon looks like until you tell them it's a chameleon - they just know chameleons change color), one tried to touch him - he didnt hiss (amazing) but he did cower away and i was there like the protective mommy i am telling the man that he doesnt like being touched by stange people.
but yeh
he didnt go black, for a few minutes he was actually his normal light green and white, was only short spurts of color.
wondering if he's happy/basking/stressed?
any opinions?
(ps, he's seen cars and houses on TV and when he sits at my window and never seemed bothered when a car went past, just watched it. my road is very quiet with loads of trees and plants all over it, i wouldnt take him out if i knew he'd get frightened)

took pascal outside today
it's sunny and fairly warm - probably not warm enough but in the sun it would have been 24-26 degreen C so he'd be ok for a few minutes
im finding he acts pretty weird when out in the open,
his skin goes a dark green with other shades of green, and he has white patches
im not sure if he's unhappy or not, i know when ive upset him because the white patches go black and the rest of him follows - starting with the face.
but outside, sure they werent his normal contented colors and they werent his "im going to escape and it's oh so exciting" colors (lots of stripes and spots and pattenrs)
but they werent what ive seen much before
i recognise them as sort of similar to his basking colors when last summer he used to sit on the edge of the flex and bask in the late afternoon sun which lands directly on his flex for a few hours of the day.
wondering what it sounds like.
other than the colors he was a total coward, hid on my elbow and refused to move.
he had a few passers by stop and admire him (people in england = most of us have never seen a chameleon in person before, most of those people dont know what a chameleon looks like until you tell them it's a chameleon - they just know chameleons change color), one tried to touch him - he didnt hiss (amazing) but he did cower away and i was there like the protective mommy i am telling the man that he doesnt like being touched by stange people.
but yeh
he didnt go black, for a few minutes he was actually his normal light green and white, was only short spurts of color.
wondering if he's happy/basking/stressed?
any opinions?
(ps, he's seen cars and houses on TV and when he sits at my window and never seemed bothered when a car went past, just watched it. my road is very quiet with loads of trees and plants all over it, i wouldnt take him out if i knew he'd get frightened)
Before I read the rest I'm going to stop at reading at where you say "(lots of stripes and spots and patterns)".

I feel that he is showing that he is extremely excited. The reason being that when my then approximately 5-6 month old Veiled seen his first larger grasshopper, he rushed over to it and after he popped it and began munching on it, began showing an extreme array of spots and stripes and patterns that I've never seen before, like how you described with your Veiled. I couldn't imagine that he was anything but super excited so I believe that's how your cham feels.

Everything else afterwards sounds fine. Typical behaviour :)

took him in to the one stop with me (just off the end of the road, so a 30 second walk) and he went normal colors again (light green and yellow, white patches)
i suppose maybe he doesnt like a)the wind and b) being out in the open
he seemed happy in the shop...*weird*

took him in to the one stop with me (just off the end of the road, so a 30 second walk) and he went normal colors again (light green and yellow, white patches)
i suppose maybe he doesnt like a)the wind and b) being out in the open
he seemed happy in the shop...*weird*
Yeah, being out in the open makes since. When I took my Velied out the other day he went crazy from being overwhelmed I'm assuming. He would run to the very bottom of whatever I put him on to try to hide.

my linus gets excited when he goes outside :) he gets bright yellow turrets and his greens go all crazy! then he starts the leaf dance :rolleyes: "im in the wild!" haha

My chameleon's name is Pascal too!! :D But anyway, I've noticed she gets a lot of stripes and spots when she's frightened. I just recently got her and she's not used to me yet, and every time I take her out of her cage I can tell she's scared and then she gets those spots and stripes. So it might not always mean that their excited.

Back
Top Bottom