Freezing and stiff muscle. Dead chameleon with moving eyes?

My male 9-month old veiled started a very weird problem. The whole body seems freezing, and limbs and tail are very stiff. It barely move, just keeping in one position for a couple of hours. The color is very light, almost like its sleeping color.
This appeared two days ago, and after a while, he seemed recover to normal gesture. He even had a cricket and climbed to his favorite sleeping spot.
This reappear yesterday. But he doesn't recover until today. This morning I checked him. He is still stiff. Mouth is alway shut. The odd thing is that his eyes are very normal, moving around and staring at me from different angles. But the body is as stiff as a dead chameleon.
There is no change to his setting including temperature, humidity, food. It is the same way that I have raise him for 8 months. The only incident is that the male appears this way after my female veiled laid her first infertile clutch on the same day. The female laid the egg in an outside laying bin, so maybe he had a peek on her? This doesn't make sense because they are reptiles. No explanation.
The male is on regular schedule or Ca w/ and w/o D3 (3 times a week). Could it be deficiency of other minierals? Feeder include crickets, dubia, superworm, and gypsy moth (rarely).
The cage is 4*2*2 large mesh.
I mean to mate the male and female after she recovers from the infertile clutch. But now I don't know if it is still a good idea. Could it be any genetic defect that shows up in adulthood?

My male 9-month old veiled started a very weird problem. The whole body seems freezing, and limbs and tail are very stiff. It barely move, just keeping in one position for a couple of hours. The color is very light, almost like its sleeping color.
This appeared two days ago, and after a while, he seemed recover to normal gesture. He even had a cricket and climbed to his favorite sleeping spot.
This reappear yesterday. But he doesn't recover until today. This morning I checked him. He is still stiff. Mouth is alway shut. The odd thing is that his eyes are very normal, moving around and staring at me from different angles. But the body is as stiff as a dead chameleon.
There is no change to his setting including temperature, humidity, food. It is the same way that I have raise him for 8 months. The only incident is that the male appears this way after my female veiled laid her first infertile clutch on the same day. The female laid the egg in an outside laying bin, so maybe he had a peek on her? This doesn't make sense because they are reptiles. No explanation.
The male is on regular schedule or Ca w/ and w/o D3 (3 times a week). Could it be deficiency of other minierals? Feeder include crickets, dubia, superworm, and gypsy moth (rarely).
The cage is 4*2*2 large mesh.
I mean to mate the male and female after she recovers from the infertile clutch. But now I don't know if it is still a good idea. Could it be any genetic defect that shows up in adulthood?

I don't understand what you are trying to describe. Chams tend to stay quite still much of the time (it could easily be 2 hours at a time), especially when they are watching something in the room that may worry or upset them. If his eyes are moving he's certainly not dead. Can he watch the female? He may be so still because he's trying to "hide" from view by not moving. If he's also eating and drinking he may be fine...just not moving around much.

He cannot see the female. The only time I introduced him to the female, he wanted to mate. But the female was black, so I took the female out immediately.
I mean I can feel its muscle is very stiff, like a dead chameleon if you once handled one. If I gently pull one leg off the branch, it will stay off for hours.He completely stops eating and drinking. Usually he will feed out of my hand.
Previously if I try to handle him, which I don't do much at all, he will gape and try to run away. Now I can take it off branch, and he remains the same gesture in my hand as it was on the branch.

I don't understand what you are trying to describe. Chams tend to stay quite still much of the time (it could easily be 2 hours at a time), especially when they are watching something in the room that may worry or upset them. If his eyes are moving he's certainly not dead. Can he watch the female? He may be so still because he's trying to "hide" from view by not moving. If he's also eating and drinking he may be fine...just not moving around much.

Back
Top Bottom