Force-feed diet recipe

Jjreeb

I have a young panther chameleon who has an eye infection and has lost alot of weight. Among other medications and instructions, the vet I visited today gave me a recipe for a force-feed diet. The title is "leopard gecko force feed diet" so I'm unsure about how good the recipe is, even though they insisted it was the same force-feed diet as a chameleon would need.
The ingredients:
1 can of hills a/d pet food (what is this, where can I find it and what nutritional value may it add?)
1/4 cup of ensure (for calcium, protein?)
1 jar of baby food squash (this is the ingredient I'm most unsure about, as I believed that panther chameleons were strict carnivores. What nutrition may this add?)
1/3 cup pedialite ( for electrolytes I'm assuming)
2 capsules/tablets of milk thistle (where can I find this, what nutrition does it add?)
Calcium powder
Multi-vitmin powder (does the exo-terra multi vitamin have vitamin a?)
And finally meal worms ( was considering adding other worms as well- silkworms, phoenix worms, and even was worms if the purpose of this diet is to fatten him up)

Does this seem like a good force-feed diet? Any modifications since it's not for a leopard gecko? Any force-feed diets you've used that you would recommend?

I would definitely NOT use any dog/cat/fish food because the animal proteins can actually cause gout. Squash would probably be okay, as would pedialite, and the bugs. I don't know if an unspecified amount of vitamins and calcium would be a good idea. The calcium would be less of an issue than the vitamins. I don't know about ensure. I'll let some others who know a bit more about it respond.

Did they teach you how to force feed without getting it in his lungs?

Yes, I know how to force feed. They specified the amounts of vitamins, but I forgot to write it. 1/2 tsp of multivitamin and 1 tsp of calcium
Are you sure about not using the dog food? Anybother suggestions? I plan on picking up the ingredients in the morning so any help would be appreciated.

I would not use the dog food either. My personal opinion is that I wouldn't use the dog food. It's not good in big amounts for chameleons. 1 can of dog food is a lot of dog food for a chameleon. I would omit the dog food

Back
Top Bottom