Votes: 303 32.2%
  • 3 different feeders

Votes: 335 35.6%
  • 4 different feeders

Votes: 106 11.3%
  • 5+ different feeders

Votes: 94 10.0%

• Total voters
Aww man, one of my friends house is COVERED in those, and ur telling me that my cham won't eat them? aww turd, oh well, we got plenty of swamps, creeks and ponds to catch dragon flies at and stuff.

I have seen my friends snakes eat rabbits, pinkies,mice and rats, and don't feel a thing, however i saw on you tube a Veiled eating a pinkie and it kinda made me sick... I would think once they would eat something like this their personality would change some and make them more aggressive???

This is just for my 9 month old male blue barred ambanja

Crickets daily 7-9 adult size
If my chams looking rather light in weight.. I TREAT waxworms 4-6 at a time
Treats once a week 2-4 worms depending on size(different weeks)
Butterworms
Silkworms
Hornworms

I use to treat with mealworms only those worms smell so bad

How are locusts as feeders??

With flies.. how many do you feed? and wheres a clean source?

Hey one of you had waxworm moths as a feeder?? I'm breeding them and like once a week another moth pops up out of the saw dust... do chams get excited over them?? I need to try feeding him something that flys!

thanks,
Brian

I have seen my friends snakes eat rabbits, pinkies,mice and rats, and don't feel a thing, however i saw on you tube a Veiled eating a pinkie and it kinda made me sick... I would think once they would eat something like this their personality would change some and make them more aggressive???
I can't imagine a chameleon would feel different about a pinky than a bug, they probably just judge it by size... if it's small enough, they'll eat it. I would hate to see a big veiled or panther eating a baby one! That's a potentially awesome pet going down the drain and straight out again the next day... as a tiny ball of poop.

One time, when I lived in Ottawa, I went to a museum that had a big tank of mice (like 30 of them), and one of the mice had just had babies, and all the mice were eating them. That was... crazy.

My roommate fed a pinky to his adult veiled and it squealed as he was chewing it. Might sound rough but it was actually interesting to watch. That stuff doesnt bother me at all being i feed sm/md rats to my ball python.

One time, when I lived in Ottawa, I went to a museum that had a big tank of mice (like 30 of them), and one of the mice had just had babies, and all the mice were eating them. That was... crazy.

That's really messed up. I absolutely hate the idea of animals eating their own kind, freaks me out.

I've also seen chams enjoy stick insects and love the occassional praying mantis. Damsel flies are another treat.

right now Im just feeding my 2 mo old crickets. At what age can I vary it up for him and what is the healthiest when they're young? Thanx!

Well ... I'd never seen a box elder bug before until I looked it up. I think that they're kinna cool looking ... but I wouldn't want my house infested with them.

Currently I feed mostly crickets with the occasional silkworm / hormworm treat. And once every few months I get some butterworms and my chams get those on and off for a week or so.

I have seen my oldest male cham take down a couple hornworm moths that pupated in his cage ... those things are HUGE and he loved them. Too bad I couldn't buy those on a regular basis!! ;)

Oh yeah ... my chams also occasionally get pieces of grape and strawberry. They don't seem too interested in greens except for the rare munch on a hibiscus leaf. Does anybody else feed fruits or greens or is this thread strickly for bugs?

Dyesub Dave. :D

My Yemen's diet consists of Locusts, crix, meal worms and blue bottles (raised from pure maggots I got from a tackle shop and I also gut fed them), and silk worm moths.

Still looking to increase his diet.

Phil

I just offer silkworms and crickets. My man loves his silks, they're not in the cage more than 10 seconds before he has them eaten!

It has to be more than five.

It is summertime... houseflies and moths do get in the cage - I am always impressed when they get a fly. This besides the crickets and once a week waxworms. If I ever find a cockroach, in it goes, the only time I have ever seen a chameleon run.

We had a heat wave these past few days in NYC. Coincidentally, I had my Jacksons (and some other pets/herps) in the care of another experienced caretaker. He claims they ate a juvenile red bearded dragon (that was in their cage by accident). I had mantids for a few days last month... they liked them very much.

Today they were fed waxworms, phoenix worms, two of the devil horn stick insects from what I bought at the show last Sunday, at least one large moth, a bunch of red worms (I don't actually know if they ate any of the red wrigglers, but I consider them a good thing anyway, because they keep the substrate clean).

I wish that there was one satisfactory food that I could depend on, but they get tired of ANYTHING after a week. The female is gravid, so I want to fatten her up anyway. It's no biggie to keep a variety of worms on hand. I am hoping that these stick insects will be the answer, and become the staple food, but I am not even sure that the chameleons can spot them well.

If you are in NYC, and can spare a sweep net, I would very much appreciate. I have a wonderful location in back of my building (where I released the rest of the mantids). Also, anybody with land/garden snails local to me, please let me know.

Apparently Jackson's are not too small to eat pinkys. I would not have believed it, I have not seen it, but somebody who ought to know told me so. I have a community of eight sister gerbils. I was holding off on adding males until I acquired a snake, but I might not resist further...

are walking sticks prolific? im intrested in giving them a try.

I just bought a culture of these guys at the show last Sunday. Apparently they are prolific. I was instructed to leave them alone for about three months, until I saw a zillion of them crawling around, and then feed at will to my people. They just need a couple of fresh leaves, romaine lettuce and daily misting. Time will tell...

A concern cropped up today, that I had not even considered when I made the purchase... will the chameleons be able to spot them? I put a couple in the cage, and they were ignored... not very promising, since they RAN to the praying mantises that I gave them last month... ):

Back
Top Bottom