Votes: 303 32.2%
  • 3 different feeders

Votes: 335 35.6%
  • 4 different feeders

Votes: 106 11.3%
  • 5+ different feeders

Votes: 94 10.0%

• Total voters
Dragonflies are generalists, they eat whatever prey is abundant. Flying termites or ants, mayflies, caddisflies, and gnats are common prey. They eat mostly other smaller flying insects. Also of interest is that the average dragonfly cian eat it's own weight in 30 minutes. It would probably be more practical to just collect the eggs or larvae(or pay some kids to do so)and raise them to adulthood, rather than trying to feed the adults enough to breed in captivity. If you are able to breed them in captivity, please post your technique, in my experience, chams go absolutely nuts for them.

will do. yes i am trying to work with them i should have enough dragonfly and dampsle (horrbly spelled) fly larva to let me nail the recipe and i will post weather it is posible or not.

I have 2 Jacksons and a Panther. I feed them one feeder species a day, but their diet varries through out the week.

Super worms
crickets
silkworms
hornworms

Pinky mice

Went to a pet shop and they were feeding a Veiled pinky mice. I did not know if this was okay. Have any of you heard of this and is it ok.

Well I have pheonix worms and they say they are high in calcium, but my cham ignores them really maybe not now, but hopefully in the future she will get more interested. I have some that are going to go to waste, wish I knew someone in nyc to give them to.

I have heard of chameleons being fed pinky mice, but never attempted it myself. Was going to try it out but read something that said they have to high a fat content. I heard they were good for females who just layed eggs and needed to regain there wieght.

I would think that they could eat a pinky pretty easy.

Bird1.jpg

It is things like this why veileds are not welcome in Hawaii.

Jordan, that pic is freaky! I knew bullfrogs would eat small birds, but not chams...

I have a hard time finding stuff small enough for my brevs, other than crix. I have some silkies coming in the next couple of days, but the brevs haven't looked twice at the phoenix worms (luckily the frog and gecko did). All the other worms tend to be too big. I definitely feel like they don't get enough variety, but I do try to gutload the crickets well.

I've got an abundance of brown anole lizards in my yard. As they are not native and are invasive, I would have no qualms feeding some off.
Should I feed a small one to my 9" veiled? It seem they would be an excellent
source of protein and calcium.
Dave

I think that would be a bad idea due to the fact that the anoles are wild and could be carrying diseases or parasites. I have heard of people trying to vary there chameleons diet by adding a captive bred anole. I haven't tried it so I don't know.

This thread has inspired me to diversify Osiris' diet. I just got an order of silkies today and my guy loves them. At first I was scared that he wouldn't see them - but he did - and he went after them immediately. If I can be successful keeping them I'd imagine that they will become the new staple of his diet and crickets be the delicacy.

Funny you should ask about box elder bugs. I moved my chameleons out to a shop building on the property not too long ago. The entire building is insulated, but only the walls are sheet rocked. The ceiling itself is just insulation. After I had the heating system installed and working, bugs started invading the shop. I have to assume they were in the attic section of the building, and came down through the insulation, drawn by the heat. Before too long, there was a population of box elder bugs living in the shop. I had seen these bugs on occasion, but had no idea what they were. We don't even have box elder trees here. I panicked, and looked them up on the internet. They aren't toxic.. but they do have a nasty flavor. There is no way to keep these little bugs from invading even the cages, and I have seen some of the chameleons shoot one.. and then promptly spit it back out. Although the internet sites I have read claim that they won't breed or lay eggs inside a building, I know for a fact that they can and do. They are basically harmless, but annoying and kinda gross. I have been killing them with a soap and water solution, and I vacuum them out of the cages when I see them.

On a warm day this summer, I will move the chameleons outside and sheetrock the ceiling of the shop.. end of problem.

My bad.
I thought they were toxic.
They seem to appear always at the beginning of the year and then go away.
Sorry to here about your invasion Heika:eek:

-Brad

Ewwwww, box elder bugs are one of the nastiest things on the planet. And h=thinking of having them all over the place gives me the heebie geebies.

Anybody got a picture of a box elder bug? I can not say I have ever even heard of those before or maybe we just call them by a different name around here.

Back
Top Bottom