Cage Info:

* Cage Type - screen cage 24x30
* Lighting - uvb 5.0 and blue daylight 40 watt for heat
* Temperature - basking is around 85 rast of the cage is in the 70's
* Humidity - 50 to 80 percent by misting and live plants
* Plants - umbrella and some bamboo
* Placement - low traffic room about chest hight
* Location - long island NY
Current Problem - noticed foam in her mouth she doesnt seem stressed she looks fine i only noticed when i went to take her out and saw some on her jawline and when she opens her mouth i can see more in her mouth i tried taking pics but you cant really see anything and other than that she looks fine let me know what you think i think im just gonna take her to the vet tommorow anyway

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - female panther cham that ive had for about 2 months
* Handling - every few days to put her in her tree
* Feeding - crickets silkies hornworms
* Supplements -reptical weekly and reptivite monthly
* Watering - mist alot and dripper system
* Fecal Description -looks normal most recent one i saw was a little small
* History - other than this havnt had a issue

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - screen cage 24x30
* Lighting - uvb 5.0 and blue daylight 40 watt for heat
* Temperature - basking is around 85 rast of the cage is in the 70's
* Humidity - 50 to 80 percent by misting and live plants
* Plants - umbrella and some bamboo
* Placement - low traffic room about chest hight
* Location - long island NY
Current Problem - noticed foam in her mouth she doesnt seem stressed she looks fine i only noticed when i went to take her out and saw some on her jawline and when she opens her mouth i can see more in her mouth i tried taking pics but you cant really see anything and other than that she looks fine let me know what you think i think im just gonna take her to the vet tommorow anyway

First I would not use the daylight blue bulb for basking - either a regular reptile specific basking bulb or even a regular light bulb would be fine for basking, but the blue will throw off your chameleons vision and confuse it.

Foam from the mouth usually means a URI. upper respiratory infection. If this is the case your vet will probably put her on baytril orally for a week or two. Make sure that while doing this you give her lots and lots of water - medication is always hard on reptiles, and baytril has a tendency to screw with the kidneys.

S.F

It is possible she has a respiratory infection. It is good you are going to take her to the vet. Make sure you are taking her to a qualified herp vet and good luck.

ok so i watched her closely last night and she seemd to be taking big long breaths with a little click at the end of her inhale so i woke up this morning and there isnt foam comming from her mouth anymore and her breathing is much more relaxed. cant get a vet appointment till tomorrow so any info on how to help her out would be great

what vet are you taking her to? im just curious if you use the same vet as i do. the clicking is a sign of respiratory infection. probably from too much humidity or not enough of it, however you stated that it gets from about 50-80%, so my only guess would be too much (even though those levels are not necessarily harmful in the right conditions). does the bottom of the cage dry out completely between mistings? you said things seem to have calmed down now but i would still get her out to a vet. best of luck to both of you.

im taking her to a vet in Centereach Ny cant remember the name ive taken my snakes there in the past. i measure the humidity with a dial gauge in the cage and when i run the dripper the cage stays a little too wet so ive cut back on that allmost all together and increased my hand misting i probably mist 5 to 10 times a day i know from my snakes a respitory infection is usually caused by too much humidity and that it would help to raise the temp and dry them out and you can sometimes cure them with no meds i dont know if this applies to chams tho

ive never heard of a reptile vet in centereach but thats a little further east from me so i guess that explains that. has this vet had positive feedback for dealing with chameleons? my vet is Dr. Monaco of Old Country Animal Clinic in Plainview and from what ive heard and experienced he is the best ON THE ISLAND to go to for chameleons. IF ANYONE HAS USED A DIFFERENT VET and was pleased with the knowledge they provided please pm me as i would like to hear your experiences........sorry to steal some of your thread:eek:.

i hate to tell you this but that dial gauge is pretty much worthless. digital is the way to go, and you can get them at lowes or something; i got mine from walmart for like 7 bucks:D.

MOST snakes in my opinion are the easiest things to keep alive, even while they are sickly. ive seen snakes with respiratory problems that live like they dont even have it (these are not my snakes, ive never been allowed to keep them:rolleyes:). chameleons are the exact opposite, and can take a downhill turn pretty quickly. your best option is to get her to the vet as soon as possible.

hope this helps, let us know how the vet visit went.

so to top it all off now she is shedding and the wheezing and opening her mouth to get air and she now looks like her stomach is swollen 11 am tomorrow is her vet appointment it can come soon enough :(

so all day today im trying to figure out whats going wrong in her cage that she got sick and im pretty sure i found the culprit ... a malfunctioning temp gauge that was reading 10 degrees higher than it should when i rechecked my humidity and temps with a digital gauge humidity was still good but only had 75 degrees in my basking spot while it was reading mid 80's so now ill be taking rose to the vet in the am to get rid of her RI and now that her temps are correct hopefully make a full recovery so lesson here use good gauges. seriously

I hope that does it.

I've been following along but couldn't be helpful so didn't post. However, as you've made a change, I wanted to offer some support. I hope that change helps. I strongly believe that if you catch it early, you can forestall things going really bad.

Have the vet check the inside of her mouth for any abrasions/injuries as well.
It sounds like an RI but stomatitis has some of the same symptoms.
Good luck!

-Brad

so the vet has me giving her injections of ceffazadine every 3rd day and she will be back there on friday for a recheck they think its a RI i asked about the baytril orally and i was told it misses a couple common infections so they feel this is better so ill keep posting with updates on her status i sure hope she perks up

so the vet has me giving her injections of ceffazadine every 3rd day and she will be back there on friday for a recheck they think its a RI i asked about the baytril orally and i was told it misses a couple common infections so they feel this is better so ill keep posting with updates on her status i sure hope she perks up
For some reason that just sounds odd to me, though I don't know what ceffazadine is...

im pretty sure its the same thing i used to inject my snake with when she got a RI it seemed to work well and id rather give injections then try to feed it to her its quick and you dont have to worry about if your animal actually drinks it i dunno it just what ive done before so im comfortable with it oh and SYN i miss your signature about crying in a Ferrari thanks for the support and for caring

Back
Top Bottom