Flushing Eyes

Here’s a brief video I took of our eye routine today. She got a treat and went outside for the day afterwards.

Initially, she jerks and closes her eyes with the first drops. Once she gets passed the initial shock she will keep her eyes open and allow me to run a steady stream over / into her eye. I try to squirt it (gently) into the corner, as occasionally it will get under the eyelid and pool (which is my ultimate goal).

I am unable to watch the video. Looks like it’s been blocked...

Today I drove to Virginia to take Penelope to another vet. My friend just took his Parson’s to this vet and had raving reviews. Dr. Stahl literally wrote the book, but unfortunately he was book through November... so I saw another vet who studied under him.

I gave the vet Penne’s history... of how she’s suffered through this for a YEAR now. Today would have been her 4th appointment, and at every appointment I asked that her eyes be flushed, but the prior vet never did.

Her eyes never improved, or worsened, since the 2nd visit, but I knew they would never clear up on their own. I made the appt 2 weeks ago, and thank goodness I did, as within those two weeks Penne started to have trouble closing her eyes to sleep. Her left eye in particular bothered her so much that it watered a bit and she had issues seeing out of it.

The appointment lasted 30 mins and the vet did exactly what I’ve been asking for - she flushed her dang eyes!!! I almost cried, from both relief and frustration. Poor Penne suffered so long, I wish I saw them the first time. The vet flushed her eyes, broke up and removed the large keratin deposits, and then put medication in her eye. She did not feel Penne needed antibiotics, but did prescribe an anti inflammatory for a few days for pain.

Penne’s eyes still look a tad puffy in the corners, but she looks sooooo much better. I hope she gets a good night sleep tonight and feels better in a few days. I am sure it will take a while for the puffiness to go down, but the vet is pretty confident she got it all. I am so relieved... and highly recommend Stahl / SEAVS to anyone in the DelMarVa or Capitol area.

Its been a month and Penne’s eyes look great. Just a tiny bit of puffiness/loose skin, which decreases by the day. Her bumps were pretty big, for a long time, so it will take some time, Im sure. She’s much more comfortable, on target, and sassy!

7B796223-B4DE-4CAE-859D-92A8DA4F564D.jpeg

(The little black spot on forearm is a battle wound from artillery fungus in the soil :mad:)

B95CE504-EA9C-4126-B509-DBBEB94CCCDC.jpeg

Super happy how things are going here! She is a sweet looking girl, and I could tell from the first pictures something was up...both with her color and eye. Looks sooo much better!

sterile saline 100 percent solution (NOT CLEANER) DOES WONDER FOR ME when i get an eye lash....and my chams ....I just drip not spray

sterile saline 100 percent solution (NOT CLEANER) DOES WONDER FOR ME when i get an eye lash....and my chams ....I just drip not spray

That is what I used regularly for months. It helped with lubrication but did not help with the mass, at all. The new vet was able to flush her eyes and remove the debris in under 30 minutes, with no anesthesia. Wish I got a second (actually, THIRD) opinion sooner!

An update - its been almost 2 years since Penelope’s eye flush. She is starting to have some issues with her eyes again - we flushed a bit of something out using saline, and a day later her eye was hazed over again and she could not see out of it. I flushed her eyes again, wiped out the gook, and decided to move her outside for the remainder of summer.

As you can see in one of the photos above, one of her eyes gas an odd shape around the pupil. I believe she has some scarring from the first vet flush. Sometimes it doesnt close all the way when sleeping, so its unclear if the haze is debris, keratin, or infection.

I am happy to report that after two at home saline flushes, and 100% outside time, her eyes look great and so does Penne.

She is very VERY stressed by travel, and my vet is over 2 hours away. I won’t bring her back in unless I start to notice buildup that an at home flush doesn’t remedy. She also has some suspect spots that are either Pap or possibly scale damage as a result of the artillery fungus that broke out in her cage. Again, she would need an extremely stressful trip to the vet AND biopsies AND meds, and I am not willing to put her through that for something untreatable, anyway. So all good news and I hope she continues to love being outside!

D057D5C9-54F7-45AE-8C6A-E1C9B0493588.jpeg

On that note, I’d also like to say how helpful the first aid saline tubes are to have on hand. I have 10 chameleons, and this past month I have needed to use saline on three of them (including Penne). Two just had shed stuck under the lid and the saline helped lubricate and soften it enough to gently wipe it out.

So I highly suggest adding it to your first aid kits for both pets and people.

Back
Top Bottom