Flushing Eyes

Here’s the video without sound. It was Paul Simon Graceland playing... take that censors!

My technique for this is to give them a few drops to get past the freakout of “WHATS IN MY EYE!?!” … after which point they tend to keep the eye wide open for me to continue. Then I try to angle the saline tube and get as close to the back of the eye as possible, without actually touching the eye. I come in sideways and try to shoot the saline towards the eye duct. Sometimes its just a rinse of water over the eye, which is fine, but the money shot is when I see the eye bulge up because the water has gotten UNDER the eye lids. Then they usually hold it there for a moment or two before they wipe it or blink it out.

Give them a chance to clear it out and relax. They may swallow a little, which means some saline dripped through the duct into their mouth (sorta like post nasal drip). If needed, I repeat this two or three times. If there is visible debris near the eye lid, I then take a warm wet paper towel and very gently try to wipe it out towards the back of the eye.

Thanks for sharing that. Can you show a picture of a saline tube?

62840F57-ABD0-403B-8519-BA4D335CA77A.jpeg

There’s no rubber tip for a true flush, but it directs enough of a stream for a similar effect (though not enough to dislodge the original keratin buildup Penne had).

Now that’s a safe way to flush their eyes! I’m glad you shared that! A while back someone shared a video of Peter Nechas flushing a chams eyes with a syringe with a blunt needle on it and I freaked out because that is just to dangerous. That needle can cause serious damage to a chams eye.

My technique for this is to give them a few drops to get past the freakout of “WHATS IN MY EYE!?!” … after which point they tend to keep the eye wide open for me to continue. Then I try to angle the saline tube and get as close to the back of the eye as possible, without actually touching the eye. I come in sideways and try to shoot the saline towards the eye duct. Sometimes its just a rinse of water over the eye, which is fine, but the money shot is when I see the eye bulge up because the water has gotten UNDER the eye lids. Then they usually hold it there for a moment or two before they wipe it or blink it out.

Give them a chance to clear it out and relax. They may swallow a little, which means some saline dripped through the duct into their mouth (sorta like post nasal drip). If needed, I repeat this two or three times. If there is visible debris near the eye lid, I then take a warm wet paper towel and very gently try to wipe it out towards the back of the eye.
Thank you for keeping this thread updated! I adopted Luna over a month ago. She was in bad shape from a previous owner.

Since I’ve had her, she’s had to undergo anesthesia for an abscess that formed above one of her eyes that’s had issues since she arrived to the wildlife hospital I work at. They cleared the abscess and did a flush and everything was looking good. She even started shooting her tongue to eat by herself after more than a month.

Yesterday when I woke up her eye was all goopy and she had that same puffy spot Penne had from your previous pictures. There was also a lot of discharge I had to wipe away. The other day there was a tiny piece of shed on her eyelid and I tried to get it off but was running late for work. When I came back to check on it, it was gone. I think this might be what’s in her eye now causing the discharge.

I saw you shared the link for those Amazon saline packs. Do you have a suggestion on something I can get at the store today so I don’t have to worry about waiting for shipping times?

Thank you for keeping this thread updated! I adopted Luna over a month ago. She was in bad shape from a previous owner.

Since I’ve had her, she’s had to undergo anesthesia for an abscess that formed above one of her eyes that’s had issues since she arrived to the wildlife hospital I work at. They cleared the abscess and did a flush and everything was looking good. She even started shooting her tongue to eat by herself after more than a month.

Yesterday when I woke up her eye was all goopy and she had that same puffy spot Penne had from your previous pictures. There was also a lot of discharge I had to wipe away. The other day there was a tiny piece of shed on her eyelid and I tried to get it off but was running late for work. When I came back to check on it, it was gone. I think this might be what’s in her eye now causing the discharge.

I saw you shared the link for those Amazon saline packs. Do you have a suggestion on something I can get at the store today so I don’t have to worry about waiting for shipping times?

Maybe the eyecare aisle of a pharmacy store like Walgreens. Just need to make sure its pure saline.

Back
Top Bottom