flies

Perceus

I have a bunch of tiny flies buzzing around my enclosure (probably from live plants). Should i try and get rid of them or leave them be. My chamy doesnt eat them...they just buzz around like they are in a humid tropical forest!

I have a bunch of tiny flies buzzing around my enclosure (probably from live plants). Should i try and get rid of them or leave them be. My chamy doesnt eat them...they just buzz around like they are in a humid tropical forest!

Sound like fungus gnats, just led the soil the plants grow in dry out between waterings and it'll break the life cycle as the larvae need constant moisture.

Easier said than done with musings and droppers running so I just swapped the ones inside for others that had already had the drying treatment

agreed, likely fungus gnats from soil constantly damp

cover plant soil with plastic wrap for awhile, to keep the water out, until they dry out. Then cover plantsoil with landscape cloth, which will allow water in but not allow flies in to lay eggs and repeat the cycle once the soil is damp again. Can also put a two inch layer of rocks ontop of soil, which will again prevent gnats from laying eggs in damp soil.

another alternative is beneficial nemotodes.

Do a search of this forum on "fungus gnat" for other suggestions

Back
Top Bottom