Getting rid of fruit flies? Any ideas..

Nal0114

Ok guys. I finally have my bioactive set up about done. I have 1 annoying problem. Fruit flies. How do I keep them out of her enclosure?

They’re like everywhere. And she doesn’t really eat them she just lets them be

So these are actually gnats from the dirt not fruit flies... There is not a ton you can do other than let them die off which can take a few months just with potted plants. If they start invading the house is when they get annoying. Some people will use a Katchy device which is sold on amazon in the room with the cage. So that they can at least reduce their numbers outside of the cage.

But these gnats will not hurt her so you do not have to be concerned with them being in the cage.

I am currently battling these dratted things. Having bioactive enclosures makes them an almost constant problem. I have Katchy’s which do a great but incomplete job. Carnivorous plants can help, specifically drosera capensis. Currently I’m hatching out praying mantis ooths, which will take care of the flies and then your chameleon will take care of the mantids. All of these will take care of the adult gnats, but not their larvae. As a back up and final resort, I have Mosquito Bits. I am not sure if it will kill of my clean up crew, so I am hesitating using it in my enclosures. I have used it in my back up potted plants and had an almost immediate reduction in flying pests. It is supposed to kill only mosquitos and soil gnats and not beneficial insects.

If they are fungus gnats maybe some of these things will help..
https://themosquitocompany.co.uk/blogs/news/home-remedies-for-fungus-gnat-infestations

Just be sure that whatever you use won’t be toxic to the chameleons if ingested by either them or the insects they will eat free range in the cage.

https://www.reddit.com/r/plantclinic/comments/nl4p52/lots_of_people_seem_to_have_issues_with_fungus/

I haven’t tried any of these methods…so make sure to use only ones that won’t hurt the chameleon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom