First time owner!

Kittiekins

So let me just say I'm so excited, I've wanted a chameleon for a LONG time!
I'm not sure of the sex, 3weeks old, I THINK it might be a veiled. I got her yesterday at the reptile expo.

She surprisingly lets me hold her and doesn't give any signs of stress(unlike my friends whom hisses a lot and puffs up when ever your near). I can just place my finger next to her and she'll walk on up and fall asleep right there. All seems well with her, she enjoys the misting(the man told me to use warm water) and there is a drip system on the top of her home and she has lots of live plants.

But I'm worried with the fact that I can't get her to eat and I haven't seen her drink at all. I have plenty of reptiles so I'm not a complete newbie that just picked something cute up. I was just wondering if there is something other then the crickets I can try to get her to eat (and yes, I'm using super small crickets). I placed a few in her home but with all the plants I'm finding it hard to see if their hiding or she ate them.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated! Thank you<3

Attachments

• IMG_20130811_211456.jpg
    IMG_20130811_211456.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
I don't quite believe you here. If you're "not a newbie" you probably should have done some research and known it was a veiled chameleon. Not to be rude or bash you, sorry.

It actually might not be veiled, but please do check next time before you go pick up something cute on impulse.

Can I get a closer picture of the chameleon? From that grainy picture it certainly does look like a veiled, but it might be a baby senegal.

I would check out this care sheet to make sure you have everything set up right.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Also can we see a picture of the entire cage top to bottom? that would really help us tell you what needs adjusting or if you are fine.

Everything in the care sheet should be followed religiously, by the way. Chameleons are sensitive animals most of the time.

Also handling the chameleon the first day you get it is probably not a good idea, whether it seems as if it "likes you" or not. I suggest giving it a full day or two days to get used to its enclosure and new home, especially since it is a baby.

Please take care of your new baby! I might sound stern but I just want to help. :eek: I do not want someone making careless mistakes.

I don't quite believe you here. If you're "not a newbie" you probably should have done some research and known it was a veiled chameleon. Not to be rude or bash you, sorry.

It actually might not be veiled, but please do check next time before you go pick up something cute on impulse.

Can I get a closer picture of the chameleon? From that grainy picture it certainly does look like a veiled, but it might be a baby senegal.

I would check out this care sheet to make sure you have everything set up right.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

Also can we see a picture of the entire cage top to bottom? that would really help us tell you what needs adjusting or if you are fine.

Everything in the care sheet should be followed religiously, by the way. Chameleons are sensitive animals most of the time.

Also handling the chameleon the first day you get it is probably not a good idea, whether it seems as if it "likes you" or not. I suggest giving it a full day or two days to get used to its enclosure and new home, especially since it is a baby.

Please take care of your new baby! I might sound stern but I just want to help. :eek: I do not want someone making careless mistakes.

Sorry I meant newbie with reptiles in general.

I'm very aware of the sensitivity a chameleon has, I have researched them when I first started wanting one. Also the handling wasn't so much of a handle to play around it was more of a transfer from cage to travel container to her new home.

The man I got her from never told me exactly what kind she was also, and being so small I'm not 100%
I also still need to move her to a FULL screen cage shortly(her current is only top and front screen, when I asked the man about them being in a home like that he said it was fine as he had them them in full glass tanks since birth. I also do understand that reptiles are not like dogs where they get emotionally attached to people (If I didn't understand that now the Burmese would have crushed me long ago haha).

My temp control says its about 78 for him right now. I have a small 25 watt for him right now. The room he's in gets very hot very easy.

I'm also very sorry about the quality the only camera I currently have is my phone, the boyfriend to the nice one on his out of state trip.

Unfortunately he's to small for my camera to focus on him properly but when I do get a good one I will put it up ASAP. The empty cage is the one I'm moving him to once its set up, his current is the other. I have the light and such of to the side, and no they are not placed directly on the top I have them hanging from a light stand so he can get his air flow. I understand a glass setup is not ideal, it just happened to be the only set up I had ready when I got him, which is why I will be moving him to the one showed.

Also, I do research any animal I plan on getting before owning it. That should be a basic concept. I've just never had a chameleon before and the internet will only get you so far, I just personally like talking to people whom are experienced owners rather then read 10 different care sheets.

Attachments

• 00d0d_6G5ndn32Sau_600x450.jpg
    00d0d_6G5ndn32Sau_600x450.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 114
  • 20130811_221908.jpg
    20130811_221908.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 129
Sorry I meant newbie with reptiles in general.

I'm very aware of the sensitivity a chameleon has, I have researched them when I first started wanting one. Also the handling wasn't so much of a handle to play around it was more of a transfer from cage to travel container to her new home.

The man I got her from never told me exactly what kind she was also, and being so small I'm not 100%
I also still need to move her to a FULL screen cage shortly(her current is only top and front screen, when I asked the man about them being in a home like that he said it was fine as he had them them in full glass tanks since birth. I also do understand that reptiles are not like dogs where they get emotionally attached to people (If I didn't understand that now the Burmese would have crushed me long ago haha).

My temp control says its about 78 for him right now. I have a small 25 watt for him right now. The room he's in gets very hot very easy.

I'm also very sorry about the quality the only camera I currently have is my phone, the boyfriend to the nice one on his out of state trip.

Unfortunately he's to small for my camera to focus on him properly but when I do get a good one I will put it up ASAP. The empty cage is the one I'm moving him to once its set up, his current is the other. I have the light and such of to the side, and no they are not placed directly on the top I have them hanging from a light stand so he can get his air flow. I understand a glass setup is not ideal, it just happened to be the only set up I had ready when I got him, which is why I will be moving him to the one showed.

Also, I do research any animal I plan on getting before owning it. That should be a basic concept. I've just never had a chameleon before and the internet will only get you so far, I just personally like talking to people whom are experienced owners rather then read 10 different care sheets.

Thanks for clarifying.

Also the cage looks good so far. You can keep him in the glass cage for a while actually. A lot of people prefer screen cages over glass, but there is still not much wrong with glass. Keep him in there until he is around 3-4 months old, then transfer to the (I assume BIGGER) screen cage.

Also you do not need the dirt at the bottom. It can absorb more water (especially since you are using a glass cage practically no water escapes) and harbors bacteria. And if the poor little guy eats some dirt he MIGHT get impacted and that can be serious. It's a small risk but not worth it.

If you need any more help I'll be checking this thread again, but please send me a message by clicking on my user name and sending me a visitor message on my profile in case I miss anything.:eek:

Thanks for clarifying.

Also the cage looks good so far. You can keep him in the glass cage for a while actually. A lot of people prefer screen cages over glass, but there is still not much wrong with glass. Keep him in there until he is around 3-4 months old, then transfer to the (I assume BIGGER) screen cage.

Also you do not need the dirt at the bottom. It can absorb more water (especially since you are using a glass cage practically no water escapes) and harbors bacteria. And if the poor little guy eats some dirt he MIGHT get impacted and that can be serious. It's a small risk but not worth it.

If you need any more help I'll be checking this thread again, but please send me a message by clicking on my user name and sending me a visitor message on my profile in case I miss anything.:eek:

the screen cage is a lot bigger! Haha and ok thanks with the dirt advice, but what can i use for the plants to still give a natural look? I have a lot of live plants(the orchids seem to be the little guys favorite!) I also have the vines connected through the dirt seeing how its glass and I have nothing to connect them to

the screen cage is a lot bigger! Haha and ok thanks with the dirt advice, but what can i use for the plants to still give a natural look? I have a lot of live plants(the orchids seem to be the little guys favorite!) I also have the vines connected through the dirt seeing how its glass and I have nothing to connect them to

Did they come with suction cups?

I would find a way to suction cup the vines to the glass.

To give the plants a natural look.. I put rocks on the dirt of the pots and then cover the bottom of the enclosure with big rocks. I got a huge bag of river rocks from home depot for like 50 cents. Just look for bags that are torn open or have green paint/yellow paint/red paint sprayed on them it usually means discount. easy to take out and clean the ones with poop. Water does not get trapped. and it looks pretty good!
h7WkTeOl.jpg

I would also invest in a drainage system if you have not already. :)

Here's a thread about drainage for you!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/drainage-systems-cages-get-creative-102038/

and here is my reply on the drainage thread:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/drainage-systems-cages-get-creative-102038/index4.html#post1033141

I hope this helps!

I'm active on the forum a lot so if you ever have questions please ask me!

Did they come with suction cups?

I would find a way to suction cup the vines to the glass.

To give the plants a natural look.. I put rocks on the dirt of the pots and then cover the bottom of the enclosure with big rocks. I got a huge bag of river rocks from home depot for like 50 cents. Just look for bags that are torn open or have green paint/yellow paint/red paint sprayed on them it usually means discount. easy to take out and clean the ones with poop. Water does not get trapped. and it looks pretty good!
h7WkTeOl.jpg

I would also invest in a drainage system if you have not already. :)

Here's a thread about drainage for you!

https://www.chameleonforums.com/drainage-systems-cages-get-creative-102038/

and here is my reply on the drainage thread:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/drainage-systems-cages-get-creative-102038/index4.html#post1033141

I hope this helps!

I'm active on the forum a lot so if you ever have questions please ask me!

THANKS! I was looking at different draining systems. I'm so happy when I got home from work i tried hand feeding him and he finally took it!!!!!! I didn't think he would like hand feeding being so little, but he actually took them<3 He's just so skinny still it worries me(even though he was skinny from day 1)

THANKS! I was looking at different draining systems. I'm so happy when I got home from work i tried hand feeding him and he finally took it!!!!!! I didn't think he would like hand feeding being so little, but he actually took them<3 He's just so skinny still it worries me(even though he was skinny from day 1)

My advice is to hand feed him as much as you can. Hand feed him if you are home and when you are at work, leave some food (crickets wont stay in a bowl) like tiny tiny tiny superworms or something small enough for him to eat in a bowl.

Feed him so that you cannot see his ribs and so he is plump. And he will get comfortable around you.

Yes fill out the how to ask for help form, and it will give us ALL details on your enclosure and lighting, as well as supplementation etc.

It will help us help you!

And your problem is almost resolved because the chameleon ate from your hands, so at least it is eating now.

It probably will not drink in front of you for a few days or so. It seems very comfortable with you already.

I think you have a friendly cham honestly. And it probably did not eat because it was in a new environment.

This is probably the best picture I can get. When I got her I could see his ribs, this goes for all the babies the man was selling, I tried getting a plump vibrant colored one. still not 100% on what kind she/he is....

Attachments

• 20130812_135955.jpg
    20130812_135955.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 103
Looks like a baby veiled to me!

Try and see if you can gently pick it up and get a picture of the BACK FEET! :)

Males usually have little spurs on the back feet. Its like an extra toe. Like a back claw on a bird foot, except its just a flap of skin.

If you can get the pic without picking it up even better, or if it lets you pick it up put your hand under the chin and slide under the belly and he should come to you.

if he doesnt want to dont force him.

Very young fast growing chams do look skinny to us especially the legs. You may see his ribs as he's moving around so that's not the most accurate way to judge body condition. His casque should not be concave and the muscles in his tail should not be very prominent and stringy looking.

I hope he is a lot older than 3 weeks! No responsible breeder should be selling them so young. Have you tried feeding him fruitflies? That's often a good baby feeder.

Very young fast growing chams do look skinny to us especially the legs. You may see his ribs as he's moving around so that's not the most accurate way to judge body condition. His casque should not be concave and the muscles in his tail should not be very prominent and stringy looking.

I hope he is a lot older than 3 weeks! No responsible breeder should be selling them so young. Have you tried feeding him fruitflies? That's often a good baby feeder.

I was about to suggest fruit flies. While they are a pain in the butt, chams go crazy for them.

Your cham looks around 1-2 months to be honest, but if it is 3 weeks that is very young.

And yes I understand chams that young always look skinny, but better safe than sorry

Please fill this out so we can actually help you

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

As for "reptiles" not having an emotional attachment.. Chameleons are an exception, they recognize people and can be very friendly.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon -
The species: unsure but I believe veiled.
Sex: unknown
How long has it been in your care? I got him on 8/10, morning.
Handling - Only when transferring to new home
Feeding - Crickets
What amount? As much as I can get him to eat.
What is the schedule? Mornings around 6:30am and and late afternoon
How are you gut-loading your feeders? Because of the short time I've had him I haven't been able to gutload the crickets yet, current crickets are in the process with some carrots
Supplements - Zoo Med Reptivite reptile vitamins
The schedule? Only done this once the first day I got him, but he was not eating.
Watering - Drip system.
How often and how long to you mist? 3times a day medium to heavy (hand misting) with warm water
Do you see your chameleon drinking? No.
Fecal Description - Haven't seen any yet
Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Not by me the but man I got him/her from said they were all healthy
History - Captive breed is the only thing I really know.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Glass and screen 12x12x18 (Will be moving him to an airbreeze home that is larger soon)
Lighting - Zoo med, 25 watt(gets rather hot in the room)
What is your daily lighting schedule? 10-12hours day light switch to a night light.
Temperature - averages about 76-78 in the mid of his cage
Lowest overnight temp? about 68-69
How do you measure these temps? Thermometer Gauge
Humidity - About 55%
How are you creating and maintaining these levels? they seem pretty stable so far.
What do you use to measure humidity? Humidity Gauge
Plants - Are you using live plants? Yes, One orchid, Golden Pothos, and very light moss
Placement - Where is your cage located? My room, open window, low traffic area.
At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? About 4ft from the floor
Location - Where are you geographically located? Cali. Orange county area

Current Problem - Very thin, will not eat or drink.

Last edited:

I will try fruit flies, and yes he is 3 weeks. When I asked the guy about how old they were he said 3 weeks old that his female had just had them and he couldn't keep them, his friend even made a comment about no knowing he was going to be selling them out so young and that they weren't suppose to even be out.

The first thing that should be changed is your supplements. You should dust the feeders at most if not all feedings with calcium w/o D3 and only twice a month w/ calcium w/ D3 and twice a month for the multivitamin. Also what moss are you using and try getting the humidity a little higher. Also, i suppose you were also at the Pamona super show yesterday when you got him, i was there too. What breeder did you buy from because i saw many with very young of chams.

Looks like a baby veiled to me!

Try and see if you can gently pick it up and get a picture of the BACK FEET! :)

Males usually have little spurs on the back feet. Its like an extra toe. Like a back claw on a bird foot, except its just a flap of skin.

If you can get the pic without picking it up even better, or if it lets you pick it up put your hand under the chin and slide under the belly and he should come to you.

if he doesnt want to dont force him.

I DO NOT normal hold him but he does place his hands up to grab me when I place my hand in<3

I did not see any spurs or flap or anything, just a very small, very smooth pretty little chameleon toes with little tiny nails haha
Also has the pretty little curly tail and I just love it!

Attachments

• 20130812_144248.jpg
    20130812_144248.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 97
The first thing that should be changed is your supplements. You should dust the feeders at most if not all feedings with calcium w/o D3 and only twice a month w/ calcium w/ D3 and twice a month for the multivitamin. Also what moss are you using and try getting the humidity a little higher. Also, i suppose you were also at the Pamona super show yesterday when you got him, i was there too. What breeder did you buy from because i saw many with very young of chams.

I was there, the first day. I don't remember which booth it was, but it was a rather small booth with a few vines and stuff for sale, they were like 25$ there was A LOT of them in one cage.
Also which supplements would you recommend me getting? I'm using terrarium moss from zoo med, and I was thinking of getting on of the mini foggers to help with that, would that be ok to use or no? I've never used a fogger but i heard it really helps with humidity.

Everything looks good for your husbandry except for a couple things. 1st you do need to have three supplements 1.) Calcium w/o D3 with every feeding 2.) Calcium w/d3 3.) reptile vitamin. The last 2 should just be alternated every other weekend. Also you need to have a source of UVB/UVA light on him or her! The most common used is the Reptisun 5.0 . Keep in mind that you need to change the bulb out every 6-8 months. These things are extremely important when taking care of any chameleon. Also, Welcome to the extremely addictive world of chameleons....

Back
Top Bottom