First time buying 1k crix,tips please.

snipeusa14

Established Member
as you read on title first time buying 1000 crickets and im in search for more tips on reducing the death count and gettign my money's worth i know alot of ventalation is a plus also gutloading anything i should be aware of?

thanks in advance
Chris

all i have is a 30g clear'ish rubbermaid bin with a 8" x 8" cut out in the lid that i tapped in a piece of screen with duct-tape. I use the egg flats that comes in the cricket box and thats it. I place the flats on one side and leave a space on the other side for feeding.

I have kept up to 3000 crickets in this same bin

Make sure your bin is large enough and supply enough egg crates to allow adequate hiding spaces. And like you noted ventilation and a good gutload diet. I noticed you're in FL. try Lazy H Bait. I've ordered from them and their crickets last forever with next to no die off. Good luck

Make sure your bin is large enough and supply enough egg crates to allow adequate hiding spaces. And like you noted ventilation and a good gutload diet. I noticed you're in FL. try Lazy H Bait. I've ordered from them and their crickets last forever with next to no die off. Good luck

I order from them too. Great customer service and the crickets don't die off easily. Just make sure the crickets are well-hydrated with fresh fruits and vegetables and you should be fine. Put in lots of egg crates (I put them side by side vertically) and make sure it is well-ventilated.

One thing that helped lessen my cricket die was to place the egg flats vertically instead of stacking them on top of each other (like they are when you receive your crickets). Also, if the box gets cold during shipping, make sure that you let the entire box warm up slowly to room temp before you even open it. I found out the hard way what the shock of a 72+ degree house can do to cold crickets.

One thing that helped lessen my cricket die was to place the egg flats vertically instead of stacking them on top of each other (like they are when you receive your crickets). Also, if the box gets cold during shipping, make sure that you let the entire box warm up slowly to room temp before you even open it. I found out the hard way what the shock of a 72+ degree house can do to cold crickets.

I will be using all of this advice the next time I order 1000 crickets (2-3x per month)

Thanks for the guide!

I kept my crickets in my chameleons old screen terrarium.. A 16x16x20 all screen cage. ended up hanging the egg crates vertically with wire and wow they last a whole month (900 crickets) for $9 not a bad deal. Sometimes they last a month and a half. Depends how much my veiled and frogs eat that time of the year.

Back
Top Bottom