Hello all, thanks for accepting me! This place has been a huge help already! I found this form-esk thing to complete so I thought I could get as much help as poss!
Thank you all in advance!!!
- Your Chameleon - she’s 4 1/2 month old a vailed chameleon that I have had for just over a week. Although I wanted a chameleon, she came as a birthday surprise so the equipment was not chosen by me. I believe it was all suggested by our local reptile shop so I’m posting here to ask for some advice and check our set up!
- Handling - At first I did Handel a lot, about once a day for 5 mins or so. I have since researched and left her alone a lot more, letting her get used to her enclosure and me. Just been sitting near her for short periods instead.
- Feeding - currently feeding small locus she’s was eating about 5/6 a day then stopped and only ate 1/2 for a couple days before her shed started but has gone back to 5/6 today. I put the food in just after misting and lights on at about 8/9am daily. I havnt gut loaded any feeders yet, I just buy them from the shop - should I be??
- Supplements - i have been dusting the locus everyday before feeds with “nutrobal” mineral feed that contains calcium, minerals and vitamins (A, C, E, D3, k3 and group B). I am aware this may need changing after researching D3 is not good to give her everyday. Any suggestions what to replace it with?
- Watering - currently I am missing 2/3 times a day before lights on, about 4pm and 9/10pm for about 2 mins each time. I have never seen her drink, I have read they are quite secretive?
- Fecal Description - the urate is quite creamy white/yellow coloured and the poop is quite dark brown slimey but solid blobs. I have not tested her for parasites.
- History - she seems quite relaxed, yet to see any agitated colour patters (she was quite dark green on day 1 but has since lighted to a lively green yellow). Not noticed any hissing/biting either. She explores during the day and curls up into the corner behind some leaves around sunset or just after.
- Cage Info:
- Cage Type - it’s a large open air black aluminium screen cage (18”-18”-36”)
- Lighting - I have an exoterra compact top terrarium canopy with a max 26W reptile uvb150 bulb from the same brand. As I didn’t set up I no longer have the packaging - is this a compact bulb? Should I chance to a high output one? I also have a reptile systems 100W heat lamp which I have suspended above the enclosure (about 15cm) as I think this wattage is too hot? Will that be okay? The heat lamps always on but I switch the uvb on 8am - 8pm ish, I aim for a 10/12 hour cycle.
- Temperature - it’s about 70-75f at the branch closest to the light and 60f on the ground. I have a mobile thermometer I can move around to check this.
- Humidity - i mist like I said 2/3 times a day but I havnt got anything to measure the humidity with yet, can anyone suggest a good one?
- Plants - i have a mix of live and fake plants, there are live potted baby palms (acre palms - although the shop sold it as a fig plant?? That’s what’s on the pot….) and fake “jungle vines” in the corner.
- Placement - the cage is in the living room between the couch and the door, no fans or vents but it is high foot traffic there (though not directly next to, just passing). The cage is stood on a green storage box so reaches about 118cm from the floor.
- Location - Hull - chilly I know.
- Current Problem - I was a little concerned when she stopped eating as much for a few days and became a little less active but she has since started her first shed with me and got her appetite back so I am wondering if that is natural? Apart from that everything seems okay, I just want to check I’m doing everything right as she came as a surprise to me - incredibly grateful but wish I could have chosen my own equipment 🤣. I am aware about egg laying too - so will place in a laying den when she’s a bit older. Also, wondering if I should get insurance? Any help/ tips are greatly appreciated I will attached some pictures of her and her enclosure too.
Thank you all in advance!!!