First Shower For My Little Guy...

and it wasn't exactly a success. I had the temp right on the water and the tree I put in the shower was half-in half-out of the shower stream. I put him in the tree and he was just stress city the whole time. He just was looking for a way off of the tree and almost fell a couple of times.

I think it will be a while before I try that again. Thankfully I just ordered a misting system for him which hopefully will hold the fort until he gets a little older(he's a 4 month old panther). Anyone else have a little guy who doesn't care for the shower?

Ditto, ditto. I yearn to see my little panther drink and lap with the same delight that others post of wet faces grinning through steaming ficus leaves...but that porcelain tub is a murderous place for a panicky little guy to take a spill. Someone tell us how to get from here to there???

and it wasn't exactly a success. I had the temp right on the water and the tree I put in the shower was half-in half-out of the shower stream. I put him in the tree and he was just stress city the whole time. He just was looking for a way off of the tree and almost fell a couple of times.

Try turning the shower head so that the water hits the wall of the shower instead of hitting the tree directly. A nice mist will bounce back on the tree. My male panther has been showered at least weekly since he was a young guy and doesn't mind a full shower stream now. When he was little he sure did! A gentle mist will usually keep them nice and calm, but part of it is just showering them often enough that they get used to it. Once they do, they will happily lounge in the shower until the hot water runs out!

A good precaution to take when showering a chameleon for the first few times is to place towels around the base of the tree in the bathtub, basically creating a soft landing if they do decide to bail out. And, of course, keep a very close eye on your cham when it is in the shower!

73c75ed7.jpg

I use Toro fogging nozzles set up for each cage and they are hooked up to my laundry tub with a 1/4 inch tubing and i turn it on straight hot water...when it reaches them its just nice and warm. Most of my panthers will get right under the nozzle and just act like they are in heaven.

Pretty much any cham I have showered hated it for the first few times but after that they settle down and from what I see, enjoy it now. Not all my chams got use to it, my female lat lat never really took to the shower so I don’t shower her anymore.

Go with what Heika said and give it time. If it hasn’t settled in to the shower routine the first 7-ish times then wait a few months and try again. With age, some chams seem to settle down and showering down the road may be ok to do.

You get mixed messages from keepers in regards to showering. Some say you shouldn’t rely on them as a source of hydration and I kind of agree. You shouldn’t be dependent on the shower for hydration. However showering is a good fail safe (especially if you don’t have a mist system) and it when done properly (and the cham is calm) it really insures good hydration, keeps their eyes clean, helps with stubborn sheds, removes any crap from their skin (poop, bug guts, etc.)

-roo

Back
Top Bottom