First Post & Is this a good cham?

They said they wouldn't sell me an egg and gave me a LONG list of why it is a bad idea. This person really knows what they are talking about!

1610321767761.png

Here she is!

They said they wouldn't sell me an egg and gave me a LONG list of why it is a bad idea. This person really knows what they are talking about!

I don't think you should raise them from eggs unless you have experience and the supplies but what were their reasons? Taking care of the eggs are super simple since you just place them in hatch rite in an almost airtight container, add water, and place it in a closet. I didn't have to add water in 6 months and my 3rd one came out a few hours ago. Keep in mind these eggs were shipped from Florida and I live in MA, It was in the 90s this summer when they were shipped and those are local where you would be doing the transportation. The biggest risk for me was remembering to check on them because they are in a closet and after 6 months to a year you may forget for a few days which I almost did. I almost didn't because I didn't expect any chance for another month. Lucky I did because mine were laid July 26th 6.5m and my incubation temps have been 68 since the fall in NE because that's what my house is set at. I honestly thought I ruined them because of the temperature of my house and it would take a lot longer for that reason.

The only other risk I could think of in terms of them not hatching is knocking over the container or infertile/bad egg. I am obviously not considering the husbandry for the hatchling in this equation because I am learning the ropes now and I see how easy it would be to kill them for the first few months. I may still kill mine by accident. I would just say if you can't hatch the egg the chameleon was more likely to be doomed since it's easier than taking care of a snake.

That is a really nice looking female if that is really her :).

Last edited:
Here is what they said:

"That is a tough one for a few reasons...

1) In nature often time when eggs are laid in clutches the individual eggs “communicate” with one another. For instance when one egg hatches and starts moving around it can trigger some of the other siblings to begin hatching. If you single out an egg this “communication” is lost and could result in the egg never hatching.

2) If conditions are changed too aggressively during incubation the embryo might die. Things such as temperature, humidity and air pressures are all at play.

3) Hatchling chameleons are extremely fragile and sensitive to heat and dehydration. If conditions aren’t within range they can perish quite quickly.

4) They are very small when they hatch, which means there are only a few select pry items that can be fed to them. Which you would probably need to culture your own insects.

With this information, I would not feel comfortable selling the eggs. I want to make sure that I give each individual chameleon the best chance at a healthy life!"

Here is what they said:

"That is a tough one for a few reasons...

1) In nature often time when eggs are laid in clutches the individual eggs “communicate” with one another. For instance when one egg hatches and starts moving around it can trigger some of the other siblings to begin hatching. If you single out an egg this “communication” is lost and could result in the egg never hatching.

2) If conditions are changed too aggressively during incubation the embryo might die. Things such as temperature, humidity and air pressures are all at play.

3) Hatchling chameleons are extremely fragile and sensitive to heat and dehydration. If conditions aren’t within range they can perish quite quickly.

4) They are very small when they hatch, which means there are only a few select pry items that can be fed to them. Which you would probably need to culture your own insects.

With this information, I would not feel comfortable selling the eggs. I want to make sure that I give each individual chameleon the best chance at a healthy life!"

That's a good answers even though I don't think you would have a problem with #2 being local. There is definitely less risk moving early incubation when they get shipped just like with chicken eggs. You can ship them before they really start to incubate. This is also the reason why I bought 4 eggs and also why I have been leaving the last to hatch chameleon in the container. After 18 hours I removed them regardless. Right after they hatch they don't move much anyway. After I removed the last one since there was a day in-between I am moving the container to check on them which I think is simulating the communication. Somebody said leave the open eggs in the container because they could contain pheromones. Not sure how much truth their is to that but unless they mold I won't remove them.

It does seem like they care for what it's worth. You just need to decide if you want to wait that long!! You never know their clutch may not hatch either. Saving $100 and talking them down would be the least of my worries though. I laugh when people buy a $35 bearded dragon at Petco and need to spend $400 on a good setup. I always tell people in the store if I happen to strike up a conversation bearded dragons come in way more amazing colors and you don't want to chance an unhealthy animal. All beardies are captive breed at this point though and not the giant parasite risk like other things that are still imported or farm raised. If you are going to spend $400 on a setup to do it right why spend $35 on the lizard since it's a long commitment. The cooler something looks the more likely it will keep you interested and engaged.

Last edited:
That's a good answers even though I don't think you would have a problem with #2 being local. There is definitely less risk moving early incubation when they get shipped just like with chicken eggs. You can ship them before they really start to incubate. This is also the reason why I bought 4 eggs and also why I have been leaving the last to hatch chameleon in the container. After 18 hours I removed them regardless. Right after they hatch they don't move much anyway. After I removed the last one since there was a day in-between I am moving the container to check on them which I think is simulating the communication. Somebody said leave the open eggs in the container because they could contain pheromones. Not sure how much truth their is to that but unless they mold I won't remove them.

It does seem like they care for what it's worth. You just need to decide if you want to wait that long!! You never know their clutch may not hatch either. Saving $100 and talking them down would be the least of my worries though. I laugh when people buy a $35 bearded dragon at Petco and need to spend $400 on a good setup. I always tell people in the store if I happen to strike up a conversation bearded dragons come in way more amazing colors and you don't want to chance an unhealthy animal. All beardies are captive breed at this point though and not the giant parasite risk like other things that are still imported or farm raised. If you are going to spend $400 on a setup to do it right why spend $35 on the lizard since it's a long commitment. The cooler something looks the more likely it will keep you interested and engaged.
Well I am willing to wait bc I am about to get my first job (I'm 15) this summer so I will be able to pay for everything. I am all in and honestly I'm glad I've got till September to save and buy everything my little guy will need!

Back
Top Bottom