First Post & Is this a good cham?

I would not buy from someone I did not know a reputation on. You realize your buying a baby and the ones pictured are the sire and dams sire?
Also these will not even start hatching until September then you have a 3 months minimum you should wait to get it. You do not want to get a baby that is younger then 3-4 months old.

Start reading this site.... Many sites out there are full of inaccurate info. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

Chameleons are not easy to care for. They have very specific husbandry. And even then things can go very wrong. So knowing your basics and having the full understanding of how to care for them will help you rule out issues should they arise. They are very expensive as well. Make sure you have an exotic vet near you with cham experience. A regular Vet is not helpful when it comes to needing treatment.

After emailing the seller I have more info. Both parents are from FLChams and this person is very knowledgeable. They are only selling them when the reach 3-4 months old. I know chams aren't easy, and I have an exotic vet 5 minutes away from my house

The price isn't bad and lets assume they are healthy because you can't tell that from the pictures of babies that aren't born or always from a photo in general. Those aren't going to be ready until May at the absolute earliest if they hatched on the extremely short side of the spectrum and raised for 3 more months to even possibly 2022. I would get bored by then and you could obtain one from a known source sooner if you wanted one. You could maybe ask if you can buy an egg or 2 for $75 each thats what they go for on Ebay (75 - 90 but shipping is included) but raising a baby is a lot harder but would be more interesting and make the wait a little more fun. They wouldn't even have to go into the mail which in the winter you may not be able to do anyway.

My Ebay eggs are hatching right now but I have experience with reptiles and Chameleons just not babies. Not saying you should hatch eggs I'm just more saying I wouldn't wait that long from somebody I don't personally know. They take 6 months to a year to hatch with averages in the middle. There are even stories of them taking well over a year to hatch. Raising the baby also goes into the cost of the Chameleon so he should be doing it for at least 3 months. I'm surprised he is starting a waiting list this far in advance on craigslist.

The price isn't bad and lets assume they are healthy because you can't tell that from the pictures of babies that aren't born or always from a photo in general. Those aren't going to be ready until May at the absolute earliest if they hatched on the extremely short side of the spectrum and raised for 3 more months to even possibly 2022. I would get bored by then and you could obtain one from a known source sooner if you wanted one. You could maybe ask if you can buy an egg or 2 for $75 each thats what they go for on Ebay (75 - 90 but shipping is included) but raising a baby is a lot harder but would be more interesting and make the wait a little more fun.

My Ebay eggs are hatching right now but I have experience with reptiles and Chameleons just not babies. Not saying you so hatch eggs I'm just more saying I wouldn't wait that long from somebody I don't personally know. They take 6 months to a year to hatch with averages in the middle. There are even stories of them taking well over a year to hatch. Raising the baby also goes into the cost of the Chameleon so he should be doing it for at least 3 months. I'm surprised he is starting a waiting list this far in advance.

They said they are due to hatch in june-july and will be ready in September. I think I will be able to work the price down some. And I dont want any eggs as that is too much work as this is my first cham.

They said they are due to hatch in june-july and will be ready in September. I think I will be able to work the price down some. And I dont want any eggs as that is too much work as this is my first cham.
The price is not even high for a male panther.... There is a large cost that goes into feeding babies for months. Feeders are extremely expensive when you are are feeding unlimited amounts for babies. This is where the cost comes in. They are recouping their time and money they have in for the babies. Big name breeders you will pay 400-600 easy for great genetics on a juvenile male.

So if $300 is a lot to you... Then you should really add up the cost of the enclosure and everything that goes into it. Your looking at easily 750-1k for everything not including the chameleon.

Since it is your first one get a Male over a female.

The price is not even high for a male panther.... There is a large cost that goes into feeding babies for months. Feeders are extremely expensive when you are are feeding unlimited amounts for babies. This is where the cost comes in. They are recouping their time and money they have in for the babies. Big name breeders you will pay 400-600 easy for great genetics on a juvenile male.

So if $300 is a lot to you... Then you should really add up the cost of the enclosure and everything that goes into it. Your looking at easily 750-1k for everything not including the chameleon.

Since it is your first one get a Male over a female.
Yes, I know they are expensive, I don't need to be schooled on that. I am planning on buying a 2'x2'x4' cage and all the required supplies. I am willing to pay for it.

I would go juvenile male for your first go around and try to negotiate a proof of fecal testing prior to taking possession.
Like stated above from others; find out all things needed and take a look at the cost. Consider the ongoing expenses such as feeders,suppliments ect. Research as much as possible on you cham and have EVERYTHING ready to go BEFORE arrival.
It is always easier to work with a known breeder if there is a problem rather than an unknown person on Craigslist.
Best of luck in your selection and don't be afraid to ask questions from forum members.😆

Yes, I know they are expensive, I don't need to be schooled on that. I am planning on buying a 2'x2'x4' cage and all the required supplies. I am willing to pay for it.

I don't believe her intention was to "school" you on the cost. But simply that the fact that is is under priced and on Craigslist could mean that it is not a good choice. Some people as well underestimate the cost of them and that's why so many of them end up on Craigslist. I just rescued one that was on there and all ended up being well, but unfortunately that is not the case for all, which is why she said you're better off buying from a breeder. This is my second one and I personally would have not taken her on as my first. You want to start off with one that you know will be healthy. Not all rescues end up with happy ending and low vet bills...But I wish you luck, regardless of which way you go. I will say though be careful. I unfortunately lost my first one day after Christmas because of basic enclosure placement. It was a hard lesson learned and would not wish it upon anyone.

Last edited:
Here is the email I got from them:
Hello, thanks for emailing me! I'm glad that you have experience with the husbandry of various reptiles! The biggest thing with chameleons will be proper lighting, supplementation, and misting/humidity! These topics are easy to find on forums and other online sources. However, you might find contradicting information sometimes so I’m always here for clarification!

Unfortunately, from my personal standpoint I cannot tell you how many that have been sold/how many I have. I will say that my female laid 2 clutches, leaving me with quite a few eggs. As of now you would be in a REALY good position to get a hatchling(s)!

Also, I just wanted to reiterate that these should be hatching around (June/July of 2021). I personally like to keep them until around 3 months after hatching to monitor health and make sexing easier. After this 3 month period it should be around September 2021 for them to be ready to go to their new homes. Assuming the incubation only lasts 9 months.

I am unsure of how long Craigslist keeps email threads to particular ads. To ensure that I can contact you closer to the hatching date . I will only use your number to send you updates closer to the above time frame and I will add it to my waiting list! Also, if you have a preference on the sex of the hatchling please indicate which one you would prefer!

Last edited:
Here is the email I got from them:
Hello, thanks for emailing me! I'm glad that you have experience with the husbandry of various reptiles! The biggest thing with chameleons will be proper lighting, supplementation, and misting/humidity! These topics are easy to find on forums and other online sources. However, you might find contradicting information sometimes so I’m always here for clarification!

Unfortunately, from my personal standpoint I cannot tell you how many that have been sold/how many I have. I will say that my female laid 2 clutches, leaving me with quite a few eggs. As of now you would be in a REALY good position to get a hatchling(s)!

Also, I just wanted to reiterate that these should be hatching around (June/July of 2021). I personally like to keep them until around 3 months after hatching to monitor health and make sexing easier. After this 3 month period it should be around September 2021 for them to be ready to go to their new homes. Assuming the incubation only lasts 9 months.

I am unsure of how long Craigslist keeps email threads to particular ads. To ensure that I can contact you closer to the hatching date can you send me a text at (864)985-3725. I will only use your number to send you updates closer to the above time frame and I will add it to my waiting list! Also, if you have a preference on the sex of the hatchling please indicate which one you would prefer!
Another thought is you might want to ask him if he is a member of any chameleon forums or organizations where you might be able to get further information on panthers.
If he is, you may be able to snoop around and see if anyone has had dealings with him.

Back
Top Bottom