First Montane

chrisw

Established Member
Haven't posted for awhile but figured I'd give a plug to some forum sponsors and members. Bought a Kinyongia Multituberculata baby from Seeco (see: current classifieds). Very cool. This new guy joins my panthers (a nosey be and ambilobe from Jim at Chameleon Company and a "cross" panther from Vince at Screameleons). I'd highly recommend purchasing from any of these guys, great support and great animals. The Kinyongia multituberculata arrived smaller than I pictured but as promised is a tough little guy. Currently have him a 15x15x20 enclosure that is completely filled by an umbrella plant with plenty of small vines and sticks to help navigate. lots of good "hides". He has no issues moving around the cage or finding his prey. I've got him feeding on small crickets, and both melanogaster and hydei fruit flies. Picked up the fruit flies just for fun and variety - he finds everything and feeds in plain view which is pretty cool. Will eventually graduate him to larger and larger cages - all of which I have cluttering up the place. He will end up in a 4x2x2. Have him under a reptisun 5.0 and a 40w incandescent bulb which i suspend above the cage to keep the prime basking spot hovering around 80 degrees. Ambient temps in the lower branches are closer to 70 degrees. He seems to enjoy hanging out in the "canopy" area which would lead me to believe that he is liking the slightly warmer temps. I do not get a big night time drop - maybe 5 degrees - which may be problematic. I currently have him tied in to the same misting system as my panthers which may not be optimal but is realistic to maintain. He gets misted for about 30 - 40 seconds 4 times a day but his cage is much smaller than the panthers so he should be getting higher humidity - have not had a chance to check yet. Maintaining high humidity is always tricky for me - have seen some cool set-ups with humidifiers but can't go too crazy where I have my chams. Anyway, really liking him - comments welcome on my set-up as I'm always looking to improve. Thanks also to J. Cain from this forum who is always ready with good tips and is a "Montane guy" from way back and a fellow east coaster!

Yo! Thanks for the props :)

Setup sounds good. Maybe just longer duration watering. I've started feeding his siblings some pretty oversize crickets (to save money) and they've been chomping 'em down pretty good.

hey - did the same thing. put a big cricket in there and he ate it. Looked like a boa swallowing a wart hog! Have to say that I almost gagged just watching it!

Back
Top Bottom