ficus

danni

i'm looking into buying monty a real plant, as he is still young, his viv is still quite small, i have seebn a ficus microcarpa ginseng & woundered if this would be ok for him?
do i need to change the soil?
is it ok for him or the crickets/locust to eat?
danni x :cool:

Real plants help with humidity in the enclosure. Try B&Q for plants - that's where I get most of mine. They have ficus (ficus benjamina aka weeping fig) in small and large sizes, umbrella plants (schefflera) in small and large too. They also have 'value packs' of 3 plants that have one or other in as well. If you search through you may be lucky enough to find a pack with a ficus and umbrella plant in.

Either of these would be suitable for your little guy to climb in and drink droplets from! Use the safe plants list on here to see pictures so you know what you are looking for, although the plants in B&Q are usually labelled.

I usually just wash the leaves with a bit of washing up liquid and rinse well with a hose. I also put decent sized stones on top of the soil so that Lily cannot get to it. She's never shown any interest in the soil until she was looking for somewhere to lay.

I'm not sure about the ficus you mentioned - I've never heard of that type. The most commonly used ficus for chameleons also called weeping fig or ficus benjamina. These are safe for the chameleon to eat if he/she becomes a plant muncher! Another good one available in B&Q is Pothos (Devil's Ivy).

thanks tiff, was just looking on ebay & came across the ficus - will pop into b&q on thursday.

i'm thinking about getting a drip system - do you use 1?

thought if i had a real plants it would soak up the drips?????????????
that way i could leave the house with out worring!!!!!!!!!!
(my hiusband said tonight that i cared more for monty than i did him!!!!!)

danni x

thanks tiff, was just looking on ebay & came across the ficus - will pop into b&q on thursday.

i'm thinking about getting a drip system - do you use 1?

thought if i had a real plants it would soak up the drips?????????????
that way i could leave the house with out worring!!!!!!!!!!
(my hiusband said tonight that i cared more for monty than i did him!!!!!)

danni x

lol i get this all the time. my girlfriend tells me she thinks i wish she was a chameleon...i assure her i dont. most of the time...lol.
but on to the actual subject. the live pants hold droplets of water FOREVER!!! perfect for chams.:D

Drippers are the GREATEST!! My cham only drinks from his dripper, its positioned above a leaf so the leaf has a constant drip, i still mist for humidity and it seems to tell my guy its time to drink and or eat, for my guy a dripper supplies a constant source so he can drink whenever hes ready and doesn't have to wait on me!! Plus u can get a big one for like $12.00, best money I ever spent!!

Back
Top Bottom