Feeding, Every day to every other day?

Frosty274

I have a veiled cham. I am fairly new at this and was wondering when is a good time to start to feed them every other day, and how much they should be eating throughout the day. Im not sure exactly how old he is, the pet store said maybe around 3-4 months give or take. i have had him for 1 month now.

I am am feeding him about 5 meal worms and and 5-8 crickets is this good or should it be more? He seems to eat everything and anything that i put in there should i be putting more in?

Also he used to eat the worms right out of my hand but now when i try to get close to him he opens his mouth and gets angry. he seems to get scared or run away everytime i go by the cage also.

The Enclosure:
Cage of of FL CHAMS 24x24x36
Three living plants that i looked up of of FL chams so i know they are safe.
Basking area is mid 80's humidity is never below 50 on top of cage and always above 65-70 on bottom
It has a temp drop of 10 degrees at night.

He's still growing I'd keep feeding him. I would also cut the meal worms out of his diet and try silk worms. Meal worms contain a lot of chitin which can lead to impacting.

Okay thank you, Where can i get silk worms or any other things they can eat?
The pet store the i get them from only has meal, and crickets.

you can order just about any live foods from plenty of websites and get them delivered to your door, usually for about the same price as local pet stores.

Here is some pictures on my enclosure and some of him!

I plan on getting a ficus in there also.

Let me know what you think or any suggestions?

Attachments

• 100_1063.jpg
    100_1063.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_1070.jpg
    100_1070.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 100_1064.jpg
    100_1064.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_1072.jpg
    100_1072.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 97
I dont see a UVB light, if not you need one and definately more plants. Give a place to hide and feel secure. Do you mist or have a dripper?

Yes i have two UVB on the top on each side. They are the tube R-zilla lights. I plan on getting i ficus in their and some more vines!

For a dripper i have a zoo-med little dripper but currently not set up. I mist 2 to 3 times a day for 3 min and i have a ultrasonic humidifier blowing visible mist into the cage and that ends up dripping water. Is that enough or should i set up my dripper also?

I have another ? Every time i walk by the cage he try's to hide, and when i try to feed him by hand he opens his mouth and gets mad, now i tried to handle him a little and he did the same thing. Is this normal, and will he get better with me? He has eat out of my hand before but lately he wont.

I was just wondering if you had just gotten him cause I was going to suggest letting him be for awhile but you have had him a month. Chams are funny and they all have their own personalities. Some are just friendlier than others and it is kinda luck of the draw. I would try and open the door and see if you can get him to climb out on the door or put a plant outside of the cage for him to climb on. Sometimes they are far less aggressive when out of the cage. Not always though. There is not telling if he will get friendlier or not. some members have had their chams for years and still cannot handle them.

Back
Top Bottom