Fecal Float Test Results

Tuhmeleon

Hello,

I have access to a very nice digital microscope, so I took the forum's advice and performed my own fecal float test on Crayon. He's a male Veiled, 8.5 months old. I'd say it went quite well! I'd like to submit these images to the forum for review. I did the tests using standard lab vials and slides - no special equipment or labware. There seem to be plenty of explanations on the forum, but if there is interest I can post a little photo-essay-style how-to. The whole effort was much easier than expected.

cricket%20hook_zpsweemp4z5.jpg

Figure 1: Cricket leg parts dominated the slide area. These look like the barbs from the tibia of the jumping legs maybe.

pinworm%20slide%20edge2_zps2okxf73z.jpg

Figure 2: Strewn throughout the debris, these little football shapes are one of the things we are looking for. Those are Oxyurida ova, or Pinworm eggs I believe. They pose no danger of zoonosis (transmission to humans). According to this reptile parasite identification guide, they are "so common they're considered more of a pest." The parasite is even "potentially beneficial" to the host according to this guy. Some say it is unnecessary, but they are treatable with Fenbendazole.

oxyurid640.jpg

Figure 3: Comparison images of Oxyurida ova found on the internet. Oxyurida are a type of nematode. At roughly 100 microns, they are nearly identical in size to the specimen found during this exam link

pinworm%204%20comp_zpscgnghbgi.jpg

Figure 4: Close-up of Oxyurida ovum in Crayon's fecal sample, next to a cricket whisker

pinworm%201000x_zpsqe8cf8qo.jpg

Figure 5: Another Oxiurida ova at 1000x magnification

Pinworm%20group%202_zps8dvdgkbm.jpg

Figure 6: I count 9 Oxyurid ova in this image

pinworm%20slide%20edge2_zps2okxf73z.jpg

Figure 7: Detail view of the left side of Figure 6 showing a half-dozen Oxyurid ova

pinworm%20slide%20edge%203_zpsmpulp6zw.jpg

Figure 8: Another group of Oxyurida ova

pinworm%20slide%20edge_zpstykd0ibr.jpg

Figure 9: A single ovum at the edge of the slide cover

Is this enough to consider treating it, or should I just leave it be?

The following shapes are roughly 5 microns across (relative to the Oxyurid ovum which are 20 times larger). I was not able to identify these. They vary in color, but seem completely uniform except for the darker border area. Perhaps someone else might have a clue?

seed%20shapes_zpsixkkrnsj.jpg

Figure 10: Small, opaque seed-like shapes with dark boundaries were found occasionally. Note 1000x magnification.

pinworm%20and%20seed%20shapes_zpsbidiktfn.jpg

Figure 11: A field of opaque seed-like shapes at 300x magnification. Oxyurida ovum visible at left. Possibly a cluster of seed-like shapes at lower right.

seed%20cluster_zps52zzmnog.jpg

Figure 12: A cluster of opaque seed-like shapes at 400x magnification

Image%207_zpsjrmj96mm.jpg

Figure 13: Another cluster of seed-like shapes next to an Oxyurid ovum at 400x magnification

Advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!

I recommend sending these photo to your vet for conformation. He would definitely need to be treated and you will need a vet for meds anyway. My vet treats if only one egg is found.

Last edited:
Nice pics. The subject matter is crap, but the photos are awesome.:D

:D

Great photos--thanks so much for posting them.

I'd love to know the model of microscope you used.

Like so many other things with chams, I think you're going to find that there are 2 opposite schools of thought as to whether or not to treat.

One group may say, "If he has no signs of illness, then don't treat him. All medications, no matter how safe they are considered to be, do pose some risk"

The other may say, "Why wait until the problem becomes severe enough to overwhelm his immune system? Treat him now, before it can become a big problem."

A wonderful book "Understanding Reptile Parasites" was written by veterinarian Roger Klingenberg .
ISBN-13: 978-1882770908
ASIN: B009KSJXNS
You can get a Kindle copy of it from Amazon for about $10.
The price of a used copy should give you an idea as to how much value many reptile owners place on Dr Klingenberg's words.

Dr Klingenberg states that although many vets consider pinworms in reptiles to be benign, he has found that excessive numbers of them cause anal and rectal irritation and that rectal prolapses have been associated with them.

If chameleons were "tough" like Bearded Dragons are, then I might heed the first group's advice and do nothing.
Knowing that chams are rather fragile, I would lean towards the advice of the latter group and treat with an eye towards preventing a potential problem.

I recommend sending these photo to your vet for conformation. He would definitely need to be treated and you will need a vet for meds anyway. My vet treats if only one egg is found.

Thank you, that is certainly the plan. While he is healthy, he is underweight, which is why I ran the test to begin with. I think I am leaning toward treating it, but will consult a vet and go from there.

As far as you know, is Fenbendazole the only option?

:D

Great photos--thanks so much for posting them.

I'd love to know the model of microscope you used.

Like so many other things with chams, I think you're going to find that there are 2 opposite schools of thought as to whether or not to treat.

One group may say, "If he has no signs of illness, then don't treat him. All medications, no matter how safe they are considered to be, do pose some risk"

The other may say, "Why wait until the problem becomes severe enough to overwhelm his immune system? Treat him now, before it can become a big problem."

A wonderful book "Understanding Reptile Parasites" was written by veterinarian Roger Klingenberg .
ISBN-13: 978-1882770908
ASIN: B009KSJXNS
You can get a Kindle copy of it from Amazon for about $10.
The price of a used copy should give you an idea as to how much value many reptile owners place on Dr Klingenberg's words.

Dr Klingenberg states that although many vets consider pinworms in reptiles to be benign, he has found that excessive numbers of them cause anal and rectal irritation and that rectal prolapses have been associated with them.

If chameleons were "tough" like Bearded Dragons are, then I might heed the first group's advice and do nothing.
Knowing that chams are rather fragile, I would lean towards the advice of the latter group and treat with an eye towards preventing a potential problem.

Thank you for the input and the recommendation. I will be looking into the Klingenberg book.
The microscope is a Keyence model that looks very much like this one.
EU308521_01_zpsgws75xfl.jpg

These are not cheap so I treat it with the utmost respect, but that being said, I really enjoy using this machine. It is truly one of the most powerful idiot-proof pieces of lab equipment I've ever used. It's like a futuristic version of Google Maps... After the specimen is set, all microscope interaction goes through the control panel at the bottom of the image. Joysticks, focus knobs, light settings, etc. The software is amazing too - tons of functionality. Composite stitching, 3d mapping, a ton of live measurement and recording tools...It is more like driving a tiny rover, really. Save the photo/video to a USB stick and you're done.

Thank you, that is certainly the plan. While he is healthy, he is underweight, which is why I ran the test to begin with. I think I am leaning toward treating it, but will consult a vet and go from there.

As far as you know, is Fenbendazole the only option?

If it is pinworms and that's what it looks like then my vets both use Panacur.

Thanks so much for the microscope info.

You don't need to buy a Kindle to read the Kindle books, Amazon provides the app for free, so you can use a computer, phone, etc.
I should have mentioned that it's the newest 2012 edition which is highly prized.

One of the things I like about the book is all the info about the medications.

Sometimes a vet isn't all that up to date on the fact that some medications have been found to be less effective/ineffective unless a particular dosage schedule is used and it is good to know that some reptile species absolutely cannot tolerate certain meds, while others do well with it.

Vet confirmed pinworms. He was tickled pink with the images I brought. He brought all his interns to look over his shoulder as he reviewed them with me, and said that I did for free what they paid $50,000 to learn how to do. Harsh!

So first and foremost, thanks for teaching me how, Chameleon Forums!!! This is an outstanding community!

Anyhow, back to business. I was issued Panacur as Jannb predicted.
I was a bit surprised at the method of administration - I was issued a syringe with which to inject the medication into the abdomens of crickets instead of trying to force feed the cham directly. They made it seem like it was pretty typical..
Has anybody had any experience with this? It may cost a few brave crickets to get right. He doesn't typically spend any time on lethargic or dying crickets so I am worried he'll never get the dose if the injection affects them significantly...

I'm glad it was just pins and panacur. I never have a problem putting it into their mouth because I like to make sure they get it all but have heard of people injecting worms but crickets are pretty small.

"Figure 2: Strewn throughout the debris, these little football shapes are one of the things we are looking for. Those are Oxyurida ova, or Pinworm eggs I believe. They pose no danger of zoonosis (transmission to humans)."

As a medical professional I can tell you Enterobius vermicularis (or pinworm) is actually a problem in humans and is something that is looked for in Ova/Parasite exams in human stool....

Excellent job on the pics, I agree that it is pinworm (not pollen), some are fertilized and others are not.

Back
Top Bottom