Eye Black/Kidney Failure/Elevated Uric Acid

Wow! Yoda is looking really good!! What an improvement from the first pics!! I'm sure the Vit A Suppliments with his medications and everything else you've done for him is working together to help him recover. I'm so happy for you two :)

Good News!!! I took Yoda to the vet today. They did blood-work again and found that his uric acid levels have decreased significantly! I have continued giving him only one dose of the medication instead of two for well over a week, because he looked like he wasn't going to live another day. I was afraid all the medications were too much for him. I gave him vitamin A for 3-4 days but have not given him any the last couple. I won't give him anymore vitamin A until I start multivitamin supplementation again in 3-4 weeks. I also gave him his last antibiotic injection today.

The vet has advised me to continue treating with the allopurinol for the time being and will have me taper him off of it for awhile and then do blood-work once more. The vet isn't sure if it's solely the medication lowering his uric acid levels, if his kidneys are starting to function better, or if it's a combination of the two. I forgot to mention to her that I had decreased the dose to once daily instead of two times daily. I have to call tomorrow to talk to her and will make sure she's aware of that. That should be good news that there was such a decrease despite using a lower dosage. Personally, I still believe the vitamin A has benefited him as well. I asked the vet her thoughts on vitamin A. She didn't believe that he was probably deficient, because I had been providing Reptivite prior to him becoming ill. I was shocked when she told me that she recommended providing multivitamins like Reptivite weekly even for an adult. I was also a little bothered by how she handled him placing her hand over him tightly. He never opens his mouth or turns dark when I handle him. He never has the entire time I've administered his oral and injection medications. This was also a different vet than I've seen so far at the same clinic. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that they have a great deal of knowledge/experience when it comes to chameleons even though they are an avian/exotic clinic. I'm not saying that the treatment, care and meds they gave Yoda were wrong, I just think there are still things regarding chameleons that they are not well informed about. The girls at the front desk told me that Yoda was the first panther chameleon they had ever seen at the clinic. I was surprised to hear that especially having gone there multiple times already assuming Yoda was just one of many panther chameleons they've treated.

I'm still waiting and hoping Yoda's eye shows improvement as well. The first vet had prescribed an anti-inflammatory/pain relieving eye drop along with an antibiotic eye drop. His eye appeared to get better for about four or five days and then started to get worse. He is still going long periods of the day with it closed. He doesn't have any problem catching his food and both vets confirmed that they don't see any permanent damage. She told me at this point to not administer anymore drops to his eye and see if it improves on it's own especially if he continues to improve in general.

So, that's the latest update with little Yoda. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that he continues to improve and that his kidneys are starting to function correctly. I'm hoping that he's able to completely go off all meds within a month or less. I'm trying to keep a large assortment of feeders and providing four different ways for him to drink and stay hydrated. I'm hoping he makes it a few more weeks for the temperature to rise enough that I can start keeping him outside for several hours a day to get a healthy dose of natural sunlight. Also, I have access to a plethora of insects in the Summer along with mulberry leaves that always seem to keep my silkies a lot healthier!

That's really great news about Yoda especially that his uric acid levels have gone down. It sounds like everything you've been doing has definitely helped! Yoda is lucky to have you!!!!
I'm like you..waiting for spring and summer for the wild bugs!!! I don't think there is anything more nutritious then natural insects that are eating natural foods.
Oh and the sun..can't wait for that either. I know it lifts my spirits and I'm pretty sure it does the same for my chams. Nothing better then real vitamin D :)

Why would he have such a deficiency to begin with though? Not saying he doesn't, especially if he is showing such improvements. But it is confusing. Reptivite is made with preformed Vitamin A so with it being supplied on a regular basis it should have been building in his system and stayed steady. He shouldn't have had issues.

Why would he have such a deficiency to begin with though? Not saying he doesn't, especially if he is showing such improvements. But it is confusing. Reptivite is made with preformed Vitamin A so with it being supplied on a regular basis it should have been building in his system and stayed steady. He shouldn't have had issues.

Sorry to have taken so long to reply to you Andee. I didn't see an alert for your post, and I've been busy the last few months. Yours is the million dollar question. I still have no idea why he would have had a deficiency (especially while supplementing with Reptivite) or more importantly why his kidneys appeared to be failing according to the blood-work.

THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT IT'S BEEN AROUND FOUR MONTHS SINCE MY LAST POST AND YODA HAS MADE A FULL RECOVERY!!! He's been off of meds for almost that entire duration as well. I still notice on occasion he seems to have a little discomfort with that same left eye, however he is not keeping it closed. He just appears to blink more from time to time. The lethargy and arm/leg dangling is completely gone! He eats and drinks regularly and is alert throughout the day! I am planning on scheduling a vet appointment next month just as a precautionary follow-up.

I haven't changed much as far as supplements, feeder variety and gutloads. I have had silkies readily available all summer along with his other feeders, although he's not a huge fan. He has also been getting sunlight in his outdoor encloser, and I let him free-range in our yard's small trees and bushes from time to time while watching him.

I have changed one thing pertaining to his care that I think has helped him more than anything. I OFFER HIM WATER TWICE DAILY BY PHYSICALLY HOLDING THE MISTER AND LETTING IT DRIP RIGHT IN FRONT OF HIM. I WILL LET A FEW DROPS TOUCH HIS NOSE AND WITHIN A MINUTE OR TWO HE DRINKS STRAIGHT FROM IT AT LEAST EVERY OTHER DAY! I still of course mist his plants and encloser two or three times a day, provide a dripper that drips onto leaves and into a tubberware, and use a BioBubble drinking fountain and change the water daily (I haven't actually seen him drink from that yet). I'm not sure why he doesn't seem to drink on his own very well, but I'm just glad that he actively drinks directly from the mister. It's more work and time for me, but as long as it's keeping him healthy, I'm happy to do it!

I want to thank everyone again for all your comments and advice! This is a great forum! I hope that other chameleon enthusiasts will be able to gain knowledge and insight on how to address a similar issue they may encounter with their chameleon from reading this. I would also offer encouragement to others. This was a tough thing to go through with my little guy, but I didn't give up and neither did he. There were many days I thought I would get up to check on him and find him dead. It just goes to show that with the right treatment it is possible for them to pull through even when it may not seem likely or possible!

I am so glad he is doing well for you ^^ hopefully he lives out a full and happy life.

Reactions: M21
That's great news! Something very similar to this happen to my boy Amos a couple weeks ago. He seems to be feeling better so hopefully when he goes back for blood work on Monday he will have the same results as your boy.

Reactions: M21
Back
Top Bottom