Expo Trip *Rescues*

farrahsc

This is what I came back with from the expo in OH. They are all rescues in my opinion. I also bought 2 24x24x48 screened cages for $75 and 600 crickets lol. Oh and a female Graceful who is healthy as can be to go with my male.
I will post each ones story with the pics below. If you see anything I'm missing as far as care please let me know.

#1 Verrucocus (I thought it was a female but now I'm not sure. This one is the worst) She/he has lots of tan on it's head and some red down it's body which made me think girl, but the bulge looks male.
Weight 74g Length 15.5"
This cham was in a cup next to the next and I thought for sure it was dead. It was almost completely white and didn't move or open it's eyes. I grabbed the cup and told the guy there was something wrong with it and he said he didn't know why they even packed it! I opened the lid and she/he looked up at me. I told the guy he should give her to me and he said he couldn't do that so I said how about I give $80 for both of them? (asking price was $60 each) He agreed. She didn't move at all once I got her back to the hotel. She is severely dehydrated and malnourished. You can see every bone in her body even in her tail. After a bit of fluids she lifted her head. I then gave her a long shower and she was able to move a little bit. She is so week, has almost no grip. I have her in a smaller cage until I get her hydrated again because I'm afraid she is going to fall. She will be given daily showers and extra misting as well as a baby food/calcium mixture. Once she improves I will then treat her with Panacur.

013.jpg

014-1.jpg

#2 Verrucosus This one has beautiful colors although I know my crappy camera doesn't show it. It's in much better shape then the other one. The shape of their heads are so different, is that just because the other one is so malnourished? He also has what appears to be a healed injury on the front of his mouth.
Weight 50g Length 13.5"

Has been and will be treated with showers and Panacur. He is moving around well and keeping both eyes open.

015-2.jpg

022-1.jpg

#3 Meller's (Maybe male?) Weight 100g Length 15" Asking price was $85 a piece, I paid $150 for both. They were together in a 10 gallon fish tank and the larger one was trying to attack the smaller one.
Dehydrated, will be treated with showers and Panacur.
This guy drank for 30 minutes straight in the shower last night. I've never seen anything like it.

016-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

#4 Meller's (Maybe female?) Weight 60g Length 12"
Dehydrated and seems to have a bit of trouble with her left arm. It's almost like there is a healed fracture there that limits her mobility.
Will be treated with showers and Panacur. This one also drank like crazy in the shower. Her horn or whatever you call it on the end of her nose is also a bit bent.

020-1.jpg

021-1.jpg

And yes I know I've taken on alot with these guys in their condition but I just couldn't stand to see them suffer like that.

Good luck with all of them and welcome to the world of reptile shows with people that could care less about the health and welfare of the animals they sell. :(

awesome there is people like you out there! good luck with these guys you have a long haul ahead of ya!! that last meller just makes me sick people will even let them get to that point without a care. they literally just let them die. what was the name/vendor you bought these from? keep usupdated with the progress!

Good luck with all of them and welcome to the world of reptile shows with people that could care less about the health and welfare of the animals they sell. :(

Julirs my heart was breaking looking at these guys. They had another Meller's at another booth, some Jackson's and Veileds that look ok but these guys are in really bad shape. I will never understand why people do this and then to say "well I don't know why they packed it" instead of oh my let me get her the care she needs is beyond me.

Thanks Brandy! And atar there was no sign so I have no idea who this vendor is. I wish I would have asked.

For the future, NEVER pay for a 'rescue.' That is called a purchase which benefits the supplier of said animal(s.) In paying, you show them that there is a market for sick, half-dead animals AND you have lost money that could go towards vet bills.

Wow...they are in terrible condition. I wouldn't have given them that much money for them myself, I would have haggled them lower so they would not make as much profit since that will only encourage them to get more, but I'm glad you were able to get them anyway! I hope they recover well for you! Reptile shows are both fascinating and heartbreaking...especially in the world of chams with so many still imported. At least the snakes and geckos are generally in good shape since they're cheap and easy to breed. I'm glad they are now in your capable hands! :)

For the future, NEVER pay for a 'rescue.' That is called a purchase which benefits the supplier of said animal(s.) In paying, you show them that there is a market for sick, half-dead animals AND you have lost money that could go towards vet bills.

I realize that and trust me I thought about it but I just couldn't let them suffer like that.

Wow...they are in terrible condition. I wouldn't have given them that much money for them myself, I would have haggled them lower so they would not make as much profit since that will only encourage them to get more, but I'm glad you were able to get them anyway! I hope they recover well for you! Reptile shows are both fascinating and heartbreaking...especially in the world of chams with so many still imported. At least the snakes and geckos are generally in good shape since they're cheap and easy to breed. I'm glad they are now in your capable hands! :)

Thanks Ferret! I tried to get them down lower on the Meller's but he wasn't having it. I was really afraid the larger one was going to kill the smaller one being so confined in that 10 gallon tank.

Understandable. IMOP, I think it's better to let them die in the sellers care than pay for them. It definitely would show them that they should take better care of them or possibly not purchase them at all.

sad thing is they will have full stock next month time and time again. To really help rescue these animals would to be not buy from vendors as these people. Just supporting there business week in and week out is putting future animals at risk.I know you have saved these guys and will give them a good home, good luck with them all.

sad thing is they will have full stock next month time and time again. To really help rescue these animals would to be not buy from vendors as these people. Just supporting there business week in and week out is putting future animals at risk.I know you have saved these guys and will give them a good home, good luck with them all.

it is absolutely sad and agree with you to a point. unless we can stop the rest of the 6,775,235,741 (thanks google) people in this world from buying animals like this. holding out on a animals well being in hopes of putting a guy out is not the way. it is a vicious cycle and somehow we should figure out a way to stop this. imo i think reptile expo's and such should be monitored and regulated just like anything else. its a shame someone can and has the balls to display a animal in that condition for sell.

it is absolutely sad and agree with you to a point. unless we can stop the rest of the 6,775,235,741 (thanks google) people in this world from buying animals like this. holding out on a animals well being in hopes of putting a guy out is not the way. it is a vicious cycle and somehow we should figure out a way to stop this. imo i think reptile expo's and such should be monitored and regulated just like anything else. its a shame someone can and has the balls to display a animal in that condition for sell.

They are regulated supposedly.

Last edited:
There are certainty going to be two sides to this lol. I just chose to do what I felt in my heart. And your right next month they will be there with a bunch more poorly treated animals and all I can hope is that someone who has the knowledge and resources will get them instead of someone who has no idea what they are getting into. I can't change the way animals are treated or sold but I can at least try and make a difference with these guys :)

THE STARFISH POEM

Once upon a time there was a wise man

who used to go to the ocean

to do his writing.

He had a habit of walking

on the beach

before he began his work.

One day he was walking along

the shore.

As he looked down the beach,

he saw a human

figure moving like a dancer.

He smiled to himself to think

of someone who would

dance to the day.

So he began to walk faster

to catch up.

As he got closer, he saw

that it was a young man

and the young man wasn't dancing,

but instead he was reaching

down to the shore,

picking up something

and very gently throwing it

into the ocean.

As he got closer he called out,

"Good morning! What are you doing?"

The young man paused,

looked up and replied,

"Throwing starfish in the ocean."

"I guess I should have asked,

why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"

"The sun is up and the tide is going out.

And if I don't throw them in they'll die."

"But, young man, don't you realize that

there are miles and miles of beach

and starfish all along it.

You can't possibly make a difference!"

The young man listened politely.

Then bent down, picked up another starfish

and threw it into the sea,

past the breaking waves and said-

"It made a difference for that one."

There are certainty going to be two sides to this lol. I just chose to do what I felt in my heart. And your right next month they will be there with a bunch more poorly treated animals and all I can hope is that someone who has the knowledge and resources will get them instead of someone who has no idea what they are getting into. I can't change the way animals are treated or sold but I can at least try and make a difference with these guys :)

THE STARFISH POEM

Once upon a time there was a wise man

who used to go to the ocean

to do his writing.

He had a habit of walking

on the beach

before he began his work.

One day he was walking along

the shore.

As he looked down the beach,

he saw a human

figure moving like a dancer.

He smiled to himself to think

of someone who would

dance to the day.

So he began to walk faster

to catch up.

As he got closer, he saw

that it was a young man

and the young man wasn't dancing,

but instead he was reaching

down to the shore,

picking up something

and very gently throwing it

into the ocean.

As he got closer he called out,

"Good morning! What are you doing?"

The young man paused,

looked up and replied,

"Throwing starfish in the ocean."

"I guess I should have asked,

why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"

"The sun is up and the tide is going out.

And if I don't throw them in they'll die."

"But, young man, don't you realize that

there are miles and miles of beach

and starfish all along it.

You can't possibly make a difference!"

The young man listened politely.

Then bent down, picked up another starfish

and threw it into the sea,

past the breaking waves and said-

"It made a difference for that one."

This poem is exactly what I was thinking about when reading... No matter what we do, how much we give, or how much we DON'T support animal abuse, it's going to happen. What matters is that THAT one little animal has a better chance at surviving. Thank you for saving them... :)

If vendors care for nothing more than money, take your measly dollars. :rolleyes:

Farrah you weren't kidding when you told me they were in bad shape! Those guys look awful. I hope you are able to save them. I need to hold you away from shows before you burn your self out. That is a lot to take on. Now let's cross our fingers.

Back
Top Bottom