Exo terra vines?

A lot of the tropical plant businesses provide a rental type service. I live right by a garden center and check every week for Madagascar jasmine and haven't seen it in two years of searching. Edmonton is a possibility, however that's an entire day's trip which isn't the most feasible while working full time and taking full time university classes. Green gate advertises a large selection of tropical plants but rarely do have a large stock of tropical plants and ordering in a specific plant has come up fruitless. My best bet would be to try ordering a bare root plant in the spring online if I can find it. Home depot is the same situation, they advertise having it online, but then the local stores don't have it. This is what I've run into is a lot of online websites list Madagascar Jasmine, but then don't actually stock it ever. Plus add in the temperature swings 30° Celsius in the summer, -25° to -30° plus windchill in the winter. Tropical plants aren't a big thing in Calgary and the variety that is typically available is bromeliads, Pothos, schlefera, I think I spelled that wrong, or they are large tropicals that won't fit in the enclosure I have. The carnivorous plants I have had to be shipped in from a supplier in British Columbia. Regrettably what is advertised online doesn't match what is actually available.

Last edited:
A lot of the tropical plant businesses provide a rental type service. I live right by a garden center and check every week for Madagascar jasmine and haven't seen it in two years of searching.
You won't—not even as a houseplant. As a large (up to 6m) tropical, it won't survive our winters.

Home depot is the same situation, they advertise having it online, but then the local stores don't have it.
They do in the locations where it'll survive.

Best we could find were seeds, but they didn't germinate.

I don't even have much choice for garden centres, there's home depot that has terrible selection to begin with and basically two major garden centres in Calgary, another just outside the city. And most of the garden centres focus on stuff that is able to easily grow in our climate. I have found one place that rarely has Madagascar Jasmine, but not very often that I've been staying in contact with. Keeping reptiles isn't even that big of a thing here. In the years I've kept chameleons, I've met two other people who have had them. Veiled chameleons are becoming more common though.

I don't even have much choice for garden centres, there's home depot that has terrible selection to begin with and basically two major garden centres in Calgary, another just outside the city. And most of the garden centres focus on stuff that is able to easily grow in our climate. I have found one place that rarely has Madagascar Jasmine, but not very often that I've been staying in contact with. Keeping reptiles isn't even that big of a thing here. In the years I've kept chameleons, I've met two other people who have had them. Veiled chameleons are becoming more common though.
Hey, maybe try and order some Canna Lily bulbs on Amazon! They grow like crazy and they’re gorgeous. Here, I’ll get some links;

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Flowering-Black-Canna-Rhizome/dp/B017O6E76A/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?dchild=1&keywords=canna+lily&qid=1635090485&qsid=141-7110577-6048029&sr=8-12&sres=B08XZM5CDH,B095H499HG,B08WHCVG5D,B09B5V27RN,B0968M49YP,B01M3YV7W3,B084336XT5,B09CDCL9ZJ,B017O6E76A,B078Y81XLQ,B0912XBXPR,B07NKCY7YK,B097BPGSDH,B017O79PEI&srpt=PLANT_SEED

https://www.amazon.com/Tropicanna-Flowering-Lilies-rhizomes-plants/dp/B01A4VDB50/ref=mp_s_a_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=canna+lily+bulb&qid=1635090556&qsid=141-7110577-6048029&sr=8-17&sres=B08XZM5CDH,B095H499HG,B09CDCL9ZJ,B08XZLNN8S,B017O6E76A,B07NKCY7YK,B0968M49YP,B09B5V27RN,B09BPX1B1V,B078Y81XLQ,B097BPGSDH,B0974GKVV4,B07TNWRZ9X,B01A4VDB50&srpt=PLANT_SEED

I have two of these plants that’ll go in my chameleon enclosure and I love them they’re my favorite plant. They’re from the Caribbean but they grow well in Georgia they just go dormant in winter. I’d definitely keep them inside if you managed to get them though for obv reasons.

I definitely will, I also realized that they are filming the Last of Us in the city right now and they have vines, not sure if they are natural or artificial, but it's a possibility of acquiring them once they are done shooting. Also I did not mean to hijack the thread, however it's relevant as we are trouble shooting how to get a decent vine in an area that it's difficult to obtain. I really only have 3-4 reptile stores in the city, the PetSmart's here actually don't stock chameleons anymore as they typically have them for 6 months before they get sold. This is what I mean by limited resources, I pretty much have to order in everything for my chameleon.

I definitely will, I also realized that they are filming the Last of Us in the city right now and they have vines, not sure if they are natural or artificial, but it's a possibility of acquiring them once they are done shooting. Also I did not mean to hijack the thread, however it's relevant as we are trouble shooting how to get a decent vine in an area that it's difficult to obtain. I really only have 3-4 reptile stores in the city, the PetSmart's here actually don't stock chameleons anymore as they typically have them for 6 months before they get sold. This is what I mean by limited resources, I pretty much have to order in everything for my chameleon.
Just walk onto set and snatch some. Make sure you look important so they won’t ask. 😂

Last edited:
Kinda off topic but my mom gave me back my computer so I can easily place links and stuff on the forums! Also isn't it crazy how people regularly talk about chameleons online, I never thought I would be a reptile person, but I'm glad I am!

Kinda off topic but my mom gave me back my computer so I can easily place links and stuff on the forums! Also isn't it crazy how people regularly talk about chameleons online, I never thought I would be a reptile person, but I'm glad I am!
Felt that. I was a coral dude, I love marine science and I had a reef tank. But it’s my senior year in high school and I’ve got a job so I got a chameleon since they’re easier. Now I’m a reptile dude like you lol

Back
Top Bottom