Exo terra vines?

Ok so I have been told multiple times that exo terra vines are bad but i have seen people like @Gingero and @Jevin using them are they ok now?
I'm not using the Exoterra vines, I use to, but I got someone to build a similar to an Exoterra for the bioactive build I've got. Still a wire base, covered in paper for bulkiness, but then they diverge. I got them built by a friend of mine. They look very similar to exoterra vines though. I wouldn't use exoterra vines as in past experience, the outer sheath breaks off and exposes the core and wire. I actually limited the use of fake vines in my bioactive build and once it is grown in enough, the ones in there will be coming out and the mounting holes plugged most likely.

I think my friend used a YouTube video as a guide to make them. I'll ask them. I have been lucky with having no issues with the fake vines, but I've seen the downfalls of them so I tried to avoid using them.

For me it's reeaally simple. Nothing but live plants & vines go into the enclosure. Period.
Trust me, I agree. I'm using fake vines until the plants grow in enough, then I'll be removing them. The small exoterra vines are the worst and I only used them in past as I was limited in what I could build. I think flukers makes one and I've looked at it and it looks like it would have the same issue of deteriorating. I think the ones I've got are different in the fact that unlike the exoterra, they don't have an outer paper sheath that is covered in silicone and I think either shredded rubber or coco fibre? The ones I have took a few weeks to make as there are multiple coats of silicone on the core and the coco fibre was adhered and then any poorly attached chunks removed using a artificial fibre power brush. I'm still removing them once the enclosure grows in enough which should be in about a month.

My way sounds MUCH simpler.
Trust me, your way is but unfortunately I don't live where you are so I have to adapt to the resources that are available. I also live in an area that is low humidity so free ranging is a no go for me even though I would love to do a free range setup.

In all honesty, I wanted to go and make my bioactive build as close to a Panther chameleons natural environment as possible, but it's not easy getting plants native to Madagascar where I live so I had to modify it. By the way @Klyde O'Scope, your bias is showing.

Last edited:
Give exo terra vines a good soak to get flakey bits off before your build, think all problems have been a few cases of debris getting in eye's

For me it's reeaally simple. Nothing but live plants & vines go into the enclosure. Period.

So you don't have plant pots? Zip ties? I mean, you probably have a misting nozzle or two in there.

FWIW I use plants and grapevines, no fake vines anymore or anything...but I do have plastic in there in the form of pots and zip ties and misting nozzles. I guess the point is we are keeping chameleons in captivity so there's trade offs, and provided those trade offs don't harm them and allow us to provide a safe environment, they're OK.

I am right there with Klyde... All real is not only better but safer.

Truth is you run a risk with any fake vine. If they bite it or rub on it. And no they should not be used. They are not a benefit to the cham. Just because you see someone doing something does not mean you should.

If someone is going to use a fake option there are far better fake options than the exo terra jungle vines or moss vines. But in the end real branches are always going to be your best option.

And there are inherent issues with collecting vines from the wild as well. Ultimately, whatever you choose to use, you have to make sure that it will be safe for the chameleon in every way.

I am right there with Klyde... All real is not only better but safer.

Truth is you run a risk with any fake vine. If they bite it or rub on it. And no they should not be used. They are not a benefit to the cham. Just because you see someone doing something does not mean you should.

If someone is going to use a fake option there are far better fake options than the exo terra jungle vines or moss vines. But in the end real branches are always going to be your best option.
Technically you run an equal risk even with a natural branch, if a cham bites of a large chunk of a natural branch, it can cause the same issues. There really isn't a right or wrong answer as we can't control the behaviour of our chameleons, but we can alter their environment to limit the possibility of disaster.

Technically you run an equal risk even with a natural branch, if a cham bites of a large chunk of a natural branch, it can cause the same issues. There really isn't a right or wrong answer as we can't control the behaviour of our chameleons, but we can alter their environment to limit the possibility of disaster.
I do not want to argue about it... I was not going after you or your choices just simply saying that just because one person does something it does not mean another should. Real is better and safer.

Exo terra vines suck. The jungle vines have bits and pieces that can rub off into their eyes. These pieces flake all over the plants that they drink off of. These are not natural and they do not break down like a real branch does. The moss vines do not dry out all the way and not only can grow bacteria but pose an impaction risk to a cham that decides to chew on them.

If they work for you then that is great but it does not mean others should go buy them because they have and do cause harm to chams.

I do not want to argue about it... I was not going after you or your choices just simply saying that just because one person does something it does not mean another should. Real is better and safer.

Exo terra vines suck. The jungle vines have bits and pieces that can rub off into their eyes. These pieces flake all over the plants that they drink off of. These are not natural and they do not break down like a real branch does. The moss vines do not dry out all the way and not only can grow bacteria but pose an impaction risk to a cham that decides to chew on them.

If they work for you then that is great but it does not mean others should go buy them because they have and do cause harm to chams.
Agreed on the exoterra and I'm not looking to argue either. I used exoterra in past and saw the issues, hence why I had a fake vine built from scratch for my bioactive build that is temporary and will be removed once the Pothos grow in as I would like to limit the amount of artificial materials in the build. Even though I know how my vines are constructed and the outer coating is a natural substance, I know it's not like a natural vine.

On a related note, do you know where to obtain Madagascar Jasmine?

I've been searching for it as it's a native plant to Madagascar and a climbing vine.

If you live in the Southeastern United States you can find muscadine vines everywhere and they’re safe just dry them out and clean them beforehand. They grow legit everywhere, just don’t take more than you need.

Thank you, it's apparently a easy plant to obtain, but I searched for two years to find it locally with no lucky. Hopefully they ship to Canada. I'll have to check it out, but thank you for the link.

Back
Top Bottom