Exo rain forests

Looks decent but I prefer making my own. I like seting up everything and designing it especially for my chameleon :)

Presumably the face thing is the background - you don't get to see much of that by the time all the vines, branches and plants are in there! Would probably look better when housing a gecko rather than a chameleon!

I notice they push the CFL's. Anyone have any current info (New, not that boring UK link)
that says exo-terra brand CFLS are eye safe?

i have used them for around 7 months now without issue, according to they're (exoterra) website they don't produce UVB light with a wavelength below 300 (doesn't occur in nature) and these wavelengths i believe are the cause of the CFL issues. i bought my first cham kit from exoterra from an LRS and Dave has never had an issue with them so far i also use a tube aswell. i wouldn't have thought you could buy the exoterra "kits" so readily if they blinded your chameleon theyre not cheap either i remember paying around the £200 mark for mine. other brands are known to produce this artificial UVB (below 300). also one of my friends uses the same viv as this and has done for the past 5 years with their yemen without any issue. i think when it comes to CFLs yes be careful with what you buy but i think there is alot of bad press about these without due cause. im sure i'll be slated for saying that.

In 2020 I think I might have to upgrade to the CFLs I dont like how much glass is around the cage but thats just my personal prefrences:cool:

i have a small exoterra, but i still dont trust any uvb/cfls, so i use a lineal reptisun over the top instead. one other problem with exoterra is that even the largest ones are small for most adult full size chams. they do look cool with the rainforest kit, but new keepers should be wary of using substrate for most chams jmo

yes the substrate in mine was removed after a few weeks it took more upkeep than the rest of the viv!! gnats were a problem with it and lots of little mold patches. i must admit though my yemen liked this viv but sadly its just too small when they grow up, good for juvies though

Exo Terra Rainforest good for Cham's?

I also have the same enclosure (18x18x24) but now am concerned that only having screen on the top allows for enough airflow. Should I be concerned about this and move my veiled chameleon to a screened enclosure instead?

I live in Chicago where the humidity drops to very low levels during the winter. I worry about being able to maintain anything reasonable with a screened enclosure.

Thanks in advance

- Dennis (new cham parent)

How old is your cham? I would leave him in that exo until he gets large enuff for his adult cage. About 7-8 months old. then get him a 24x24x48 screen cage or even larger if you have the room.

Back
Top Bottom