Enclosure ideas that may help you

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Matthew43s, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Matthew43s

Matthew43s Established Member

So as most of you know, KP my 5 month old vieled, just got his new 24x24x48 enclosure in last Friday. Ever since I got it, i’ve Been plotting and designing the inside of his enclosure. I wanted something that would be easy to work with, cause as little damage as possible to the actual cage itself (considering I demolished the small enclosure ziptying stuff to the side) and have something that could hold up a considerable amount of weight, make it bug tight so I won’t have to worry about feeders escaping, drainage, and also keep the astetic aspect as close to natural as possible.

So this is what I have so far.

I used an expandable bamboo fence I bought at Home Depot for the sides, so I can attach all of my vines, limbs, and my feeder cup, while also adding a nice climbing surface, got the idea from someone on here and will add them once I remember who it was. I used small zip ties to secure it to the walls and you can’t even tell that a zip tie went through the screen.

Planning on hanging a pothos at the top of the enclosure and drape the vines and intertwine them into the bamboo fence. Adding a scheffelera to the middle section and i’m Gonna add a decent sized croton to the bottom to fill up the enclosure and add some nice color. But I figured maybe these ideas could help someone. Any questions just ask!

40675149-08A9-4310-804A-696B8E71F2CB.jpeg 42DAC078-39D8-4F86-8B57-8ABBAD6F37AA.jpeg 8191E5E4-3538-4622-AD4D-15699A482CE4.jpeg 90022E4A-198C-4522-876E-A1121E8BF281.jpeg

mmsdec0804 and CJ's Exotics like this.
  2. CamrynTheCham22

CamrynTheCham22 Avid Member

Where do you buy the wood lattice on the side? Or did you make it?

Matthew43s likes this.
  3. CJ's Exotics

CJ's Exotics Chameleon Enthusiast

It looks pretty good!!! Looks like I missed the last thread, looking to work on a new chameleon enclosure soon, definitely looks cool!!!:):p:D:p:D:)!

Matthew43s likes this.
  4. ChamLB

ChamLB Avid Member

Post more pictures when you get the plants going. Good start.

Matthew43s and CJ's Exotics like this.
  5. kinyonga

kinyonga Chameleon Enthusiast

What's going to stop the crickets from falling out the bottom or the feces, etc with that grating you have there?

Matthew43s likes this.
  6. Matthew43s

@CamrynTheCham22 I purchased the lattice at Home Depot, used a dremal tool to cut it in half and also trimmed some of the ends so it would fit snug, 48” tall it fits pretty snug It’d be a bit of work to make that lol

Kristen99 likes this.
  7. Matthew43s

Haha thanks CJ! I appreciate that. Hopefully it ends up looking the way I have it imagined. I’ll have to say, I got my inspiration and ideas from @Monta Cham enclosure

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  8. Matthew43s

I plan on taking pics on every step so maybe I can give a few people some ideas. I’ll keep ya’ll posted for sure (y)

ChamLB and CJ's Exotics like this.
  9. Matthew43s

If you zoom in you can see that I have added some window screen over the top of the eggcrate so that none of the critters would escape. This thing is pretty sealed so far.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  10. kinyonga

kinyonga Chameleon Enthusiast

I'm using a tablet and I'm old :(
    so sometimes I can't see things clearly. :(

CJ's Exotics and Matthew43s like this.
  11. CamrynTheCham22

Thanks for the info @Matthew43s ! That is such a cool setup. I was thinking of a cage remodel for my cham anyway.

CJ's Exotics and Matthew43s like this.
  12. Matthew43s

Hahaha ehh I won’t hold it against you. It’s okay, it’s hard to see anyways. But works well.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  13. Matthew43s

Haha thank you, I appreciate that. Hope you can get some ideas off of me, stay tuned I have a few more out of the box ideas i’m Gonna try out ;) @CamrynTheCham22

CJ's Exotics and CamrynTheCham22 like this.
  14. Matthew43s

So I just picked up my schefflera today got a pretty good sized one, it takes up a lot more of the enclosure then I expected. Still have to decide where I want to place it.

I have a pothos that’s going to be hanging from the top of the enclosure with it’s vines extendinh downwards over the branches and through the lattice, I think it’s gonna end up looking really cool. FCC79433-BEBA-4702-9F6C-F2CFA34D238E.jpeg 237595BE-8EA4-4CB5-8C6C-3F047B8E716B.jpeg 6B1EF015-FFE2-4DF2-B445-69194CFB80D6.jpeg

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  15. Matthew43s

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg One of the hanging pothos added, have one more big one that’s currently in KP’s smaller enclosure to add.

All I had to do was drill some holes around the peremiter of the pot, then weave some hemp cord in and out around the rim and then make a handle, which I could then hang on the lattice.

This thing makes life so much easier. So far I don’t have any damage done to the enclosure itself. Which is awesome

ChamLB and CJ's Exotics like this.
  16. CJ's Exotics

CJ's Exotics Chameleon Enthusiast

Looks amazing!!! Looks like I will have to be working on a new enclosure soon, was the wood lattice a pain at all? I'm trying to debate whether to put it in or not.

Matthew43s likes this.
  17. Matthew43s

Not at all, I highly recommend using the lattice, it’s cheap, durable, takes up very little space and an insanely convienant way to hang whatever you want to hang inside of the enclosure. It also ads a nice climbing structure, and the opening are large enough if a feeder does get loose it won’t go unseen behind it. It’s honestly making life with this little project easier, buy one and split it, 15 bucks is a small price to pay to keep away a lot of head aches/wear and tear on the enclosure.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  18. CamrynTheCham22

It looked like the best idea ever! I am going to definitely use it in the future. That should definitely be a featured post. :)

Matthew43s likes this.
  19. Matthew43s

Lol thank you I appreciate that! Get the word out and let more people know about this, I honestly do think it’d help a lot of people. All credit to @Monta she’s the one who gave me the awesome idea

CJ's Exotics and CamrynTheCham22 like this.
  20. ChamLB

ChamLB Avid Member

The lattice will also prevent toe nail injuries that happen when heavier chameleons fall off the screen sides.