eggs are 6 months old now

mary prefontaine

I lost my female after she got pregnant a second time and im feeling so guilty over it, now im worried if ill do ok with the clutch she did lay. I have the first layed clutch marked as march 2nd , so its going on 6 months, the temps are a little under 80 degrees in a bin with a mixture of sand and vermicilite. They are still white and one egg is huge. I know to check on them daily or at least every few days. the mixture is staying moist and the eggs are on top partially covered. When should i start looking for hatchlings to come? Is it still way too early? how often should i be checking them? and when i see them starting to sweat as ive read on here, is that when i should order the pinheads or fruit flies? I know nothing about fruit flies or how to keep them in a container and release them into my tank when the hatchlings do come.I do know how to grow my own crickets as i did this already and it again is hard to figure out how to pick them up and get them into my tank other than to put the whole cricket hatchling bin into the babies tank when the time comes. I know i wasn't ready for this, but since i'm in this situation, i'm hoping i can get this right so as not to lose any babies. Please any advice on what to do to prepare properly for this would be greatly appreciated.

I am so sorry to hear about your female. I'm thinking you have panther eggs so they should be hatching in a couple more months. In the beginning I only check the eggs every few weeks. Closer to the end more often and once they start sweating just about daily. When they start sweating would be a good time to order feeders. Try to get some producing fruit flies because it can take awhile for them to start producing and the babies normally start eating when 2 days old. Now is a good time to get your baby bins ready if you haven't done so already.

thanks.

I do have a 29 gallon tank ready with some very tiny dowels in there and plants too but i think ill just use the dowels for now so i can watch them better . I also have a sun light and a heat lamp on both ends for them to bask under.I also put one of those green carpets on the bottom. so i guess its a waiting game now but thanks for helping me figure out when to expect them

Back
Top Bottom