eggbound female veiled

Are there any emergency vets in the phonebook you could look up? Even if they don't treat exotics, vets have numbers to those that do. For the sake of your poor little cham, I would recommend calling around now. She is probably in alot of pain :(

Thank you camigirl89 you have been so helpful!!!! So I should look into another veiled then cuz my boy asked about a panther cham???? I just want him to have the easiest one to take care of

Closest dr in my area is 1 1/2 hr away the other vets have turned me down because they said they don't have the knowledge to help me I don't want her to suffer anymore any suggestions Its so sad but I'd like to do something soon since my boy is in bed and he understands she may not make it through the night

Before you drop $300+ on a panther cham, I would perfect your veiled cham husbandry first. Don't go get a veiled tomorrow, research for a few weeks. There is SO much on here that is great. I print out alot of it to keep around and give to my family members who I have gotten started on chams :) After a few weeks of research, then maybe give a call to one of the sponsors on this site. The people there are always very willing to help you, and give you pointers as well. Also, Jackson's chameleons can be good for starters, as well. I am not saying panthers are bad starters by any means, but they are very expensive, and I think you might want to start in the $80-150 range first :)

Ok I'll do just that I have already a fairly large enclosure waterfall misting system fogger and live plants I also think I'm gonna stick with the veiled also didn't realize till just now how expensive the panther was WOW I will do some research and get another one in a few weeks just unfortunate I had to learn the hard way on the 1st one

Goodluck with your research, sorry to hear about your little female cham. If you need anything, just ask us on here! We will help!

Colton's Dad...Hi. I have a couple of suggestions. First, on the female you have now, it's unlikely she is going to make it. Only you can decide how much medical intervention you are willing to fund. If it were me, dealing with my 7 year old (mine is now 17 but I can remember) I would set her free. Take her to a canyon, put her down, say "good bye" and "we love you" and "we wish you well" and walk away. In my neighborhood, I'd run away because it's full of predators. Of course, if she's died naturally, you can do the normal pet funeral.

Get a captive bred veiled male as your next chameleon. It's just the safest bet. It's not that others can't be kept successfully, but a captive bred male veiled has it all in his favor so is more likely to thrive.

Finally, get yourself a separate identity on the boards because I think Colton did really well and he deserves to have his own identity here. BUT, I really think you need to be here as well. "ColtonsDad" has a nice ring to it.

im really sorry to hear about your girl! :( please tell colton we are all here to help him and you for any questions you guys have for your next cham!

Colton's Dad...Hi. I have a couple of suggestions. First, on the female you have now, it's unlikely she is going to make it. Only you can decide how much medical intervention you are willing to fund. If it were me, dealing with my 7 year old (mine is now 17 but I can remember) I would set her free. Take her to a canyon, put her down, say "good bye" and "we love you" and "we wish you well" and walk away. In my neighborhood, I'd run away because it's full of predators. Of course, if she's died naturally, you can do the normal pet funeral.

Get a captive bred veiled male as your next chameleon. It's just the safest bet. It's not that others can't be kept successfully, but a captive bred male veiled has it all in his favor so is more likely to thrive.

Finally, get yourself a separate identity on the boards because I think Colton did really well and he deserves to have his own identity here. BUT, I really think you need to be here as well. "ColtonsDad" has a nice ring to it.

i agree with everything said here i would just like to add take away the waterfall and replace it with a dripper (more sanitary) imo
i would also like to add im very glad you guys found us this is a great place to learn and meet many experienced cham owners who can help you with alot your son seems like a very smart boy i am very sorry to here about your little cham i just lost a female to the same problem its soo... sad also tell colton we are here to help anytime yourself aswell. chameleons are a very rewarding pet im glad to here you are not going to let this discourage you from chams i know my daughter loves all our chameleons and her face when they shoot there bugs the giggles when they are doin silly things its awsome to see our children happy best of luck:)

Thank you everyone!!!!!!! Her name was Rite Eye cuz when we got her she had an eye infection in her right eye so that's what he named her lol!!!! This deffentally does not encourage us on getting another chameleon it motavates us in owning another. Now that we have this site with all of you helpful people it makes it easy to get another. So the waterfall idea is bad then right???? What about the fogger that I have is that ok???? Once again thank you everyone for your support and cares!!!!

Yes the waterfall is a bad idea. The fogger is okay, but a lot of people have debates on how good it is. I'm from central Illinois, you're going toe have to order and have it shipped to you. Not all panthers are $300 either, Chamelot Chameleons has some beautiful ambanjas and ambilobes for around $175. Or there's always carpets who are smaller and show a lot more color as well. You'll want a male this time though. You'll also want to fix some stuff in the husbandry before you get him. They really are rewarding pets to have and I am sorry for this little girl. If you have any questions at anytime, message me. :)

Thank you everyone!!!!!!! Her name was Rite Eye cuz when we got her she had an eye infection in her right eye so that's what he named her lol!!!! This deffentally does not encourage us on getting another chameleon it motavates us in owning another. Now that we have this site with all of you helpful people it makes it easy to get another. So the waterfall idea is bad then right???? What about the fogger that I have is that ok???? Once again thank you everyone for your support and cares!!!!

Good Morning Colton and Colton's Dad! I am so sorry to see Rite Eye did not make! I just read through all this and you guys are fantastic, you did the best you could to try to help her! I hope that you do get another chameleon in the future and that we can all be here to help you succeed! Good luck!! :D

So sorry you lost your chameleon. I'm sure you will miss her.

With each chameleon/lizard you keep you will learn more about the husbandry and should have them for longer especially if you spend some time reading posts on this forum. You did quite well for the husbandry for the first one.

When it comes to egglaying females, once they are sexually mature IMHO its a good idea to leave an opaque container of washed playsand in the cage at all times so the female has a place to dig to show you that she needs to lay eggs. The other indications that she is ready can be subtle and easily missed. The container should be at least 12" deep x 12" x 8".

Here's some information I hope will help you with supplementing, etc.....
Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

A wide variety of insects that have been well fed and gutloaded should be fed to it.

Since many of the feeder insects we use in captivity have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects just before you feed them to the chameleon at most feedings with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you also dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month as well with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite which has beta carotene.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.
Please note that various supplements have various amounts of D3 and vitamin A and so some can be given more often than others. The idea still is not to overdo the fat soluble vitamins like D3 and prEformed vitamin A.

Here are some good sites for you to read too...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200406080...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/
If you can't access the sites above that have the word "archive" in you can do it through the WayBackMachine.

Best of luck with the next one!

Thank you so much!!! I have learned more in the last day than I have in the last 8mo we have had the chameleon!!! All you people are amazing thank you so much again!!

Back
Top Bottom