Egg yolk peritonitis

JoXie411

Chameleon Enthusiast
This morning I took Imelda to the vet because after she laid her 65 eggs she hasn’t been acting normal, very lethargic, not basking, and appetite down. After an ultra sound the vet noticed she’s has free fluid, bright liver, and producing egg yokes again. She appears to be in permanent ovulation, vet has given me oral antibiotics and oral calcium to to help her. He’s considering spaying her, witch I’m not surprised about because we talked about it last visit, want the antibiotic to work first b4 we try anything else. She also has a tiny whistle to her breathing that the vet is going to treat as well.

Meds are

Smz tmp 240 suspension cherry flavored
240mg/5ml
Give 0.08mls, by mouth, once daily for 21 days

Calcium glubionate (calcionate) syrup
(115gm/5ml)
Give 0.1 mls, by mouth, once daily for 30 days

This might help a little...some reasons for it happening, etc...
https://www.reptifiles.com/bearded-...ded-dragon-illnesses-health/yolk-peritonitis/

There are lots of other reasons for it to happen too.
Yes I’ve done my best to help her recover since finding her on Craig’s list. I’ve been researching none stop and doing my best. Unfortunately due to her poor husbandry in her first year of life her body is taking a beating. Honestly I thought she should die the week I got her and she come around a lot. The vet said this is the best looking chameleon he’s seen in awhile and it was refreshing to see someone who actually takes the time to care for them properly

Can I just say my vet has some sexy chops :hilarious: :love: I love a name who can handle a tegu. Sorry I joke a lot when I’m stressed

Attachments

• CDA2F3FF-86CE-4D25-A25D-FF8392FDB2A1.png
    CDA2F3FF-86CE-4D25-A25D-FF8392FDB2A1.png
    434 KB · Views: 146
Were all the eggs she laid shelled properly.

There could be something wrong with the shelling gland or she may be lacking calcium for the egg shells so it's good that the vet gave you calcium for her....don't forget I'm not a vet and what I say is just my best "guess" base on my experiences and what I've read and learned from others.

I had a veiled female a long time ago...the male latched onto her side and pulled on her when trying to get her to mate. After that she produced unshelled eggs. She did that for several years before she finally died. The vet called it Yolkahrea. We were sure the male damaged the shelling "gland".

Ruptured follicles can cause/lead to yolk peritonitis too.

Veiled chameleons seem to have follicles developing almost constantly from what I've read.

I hope she can get through this all.

I'm an anxious joke maker too Jox. You're giving Imelda a life no one else would. Shes a lucky chamalama.

I'll send you bug gifs on imgur to sooth you. :notworthy:

Also I've never told you but Imelda is like THE NEST fem veiled name everrrrrrrrrrr ever.

Were all the eggs she laid shelled properly.

There could be something wrong with the shelling gland or she may be lacking calcium for the egg shells so it's good that the vet gave you calcium for her....don't forget I'm not a vet and what I say is just my best "guess" base on my experiences and what I've read and learned from others.

I had a veiled female a long time ago...the male latched onto her side and pulled on her when trying to get her to mate. After that she produced unshelled eggs. She did that for several years before she finally died. The vet called it Yolkahrea. We were sure the male damaged the shelling "gland".

Ruptured follicles can cause/lead to yolk peritonitis too.

Veiled chameleons seem to have follicles developing almost constantly from what I've read.

I hope she can get through this all.
I think they were, I will attach a photo. She does have old thermal burn on her body so idk if that may also come into play or not

Attachments

• DF78AAAC-1E00-4FE3-90D5-955DDC1676F8.jpeg
    DF78AAAC-1E00-4FE3-90D5-955DDC1676F8.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 126
You have done an amazing job with her. We knew surgery was a possibility after her last clutch. Now you know that even with perfect care the first year of life made it’s impact on her. You have a great vet that is 100% on board with you. Just keep saying Imelda prayers while she gets stronger and y’all figure out the next step for her.

I'm an anxious joke maker too Jox. You're giving Imelda a life no one else would. Shes a lucky chamalama.

I'll send you bug gifs on imgur to sooth you. :notworthy:

Also I've never told you but Imelda is like THE NEST fem veiled name everrrrrrrrrrr ever.
Thanks you, I felt she needed a dramatic name, she’s my feisty little shoemaker through and through :hilarious:

Back
Top Bottom