egg records......

Paul R

egg records...... whats the most eggs you had from a single cluch? a veiled was recorded with 123!!!!!

I was thinking about starting the same thread myself - You beat me to it! :D

My 14 month veiled (Lily) laid her first clutch of 103 eggs on December 23rd 08! :D

HA HA HA, THAT IS ALOT OF EGGS. mine lay on average within the 60 range.
those eggs are precious!!!!!!! incubate with care:D

why thankfully? Do you not want babies?

Lily is my first and only chameleon. I don't have room for more at the moment. 'Thankfully' was because I wouldn't have a clue where to start with 103 babies all at once!! I've no experience with baby chameleons - I got Lily when she was 6 months old. One or two would be nice maybe - but certainly not 103!!:D

HA HA HA, ok i see what you mean! Well if she is laying 103 eggs then get a male cause she will make an excellent breeder!!!!!

Took a couple of photos then binned them. :D They were definitely infertile as Lily has never been mated.

a004452de5.jpg

HA HA HA, ok i see what you mean! Well if she is laying 103 eggs then get a male cause she will make an excellent breeder!!!!!

I disagree.
clutches of this size take a tremendous toll on the animal and work should be done (adjusting husbandry) to try and reduce the clutch size in the future.
Conditions that promote too large of clutches are mostly ones that we associate with taking good care of the animal (ie: warm temps, a lot of food, etc.)
When the conditions are too good it can promote an unnaturally large clutch.

There may be a lot of eggs, but the female won't be around long enough to lay many of them.
I am one who is not in favor of working these girls like that.
Considering she is a pet, you should be aiming for no eggs.
I am sure you have read the article on keeping females here:

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

-Brad

My largest veiled clutch was 54 and I felt that was way too much. This time of the year it is hard to keep the temps down in my sunroom because my glass doors face south. I finally put a sheer curtain over the windows which cuts down somewhat. I am going to let my lady rest for at least 6 months before breeding her again, and then only after 6 months of cooler temps and less food. I will keep up the calcium and occassional outside stints. I want to protect my females and have them around 6-7 years if at all possible. They are, after all, my "little ones" (pets).

I disagree.
clutches of this size take a tremendous toll on the animal and work should be done (adjusting husbandry) to try and reduce the clutch size in the future.
Conditions that promote too large of clutches are mostly ones that we associate with taking good care of the animal (ie: warm temps, a lot of food, etc.)
When the conditions are too good it can promote an unnaturally large clutch.

There may be a lot of eggs, but the female won't be around long enough to lay many of them.
I am one who is not in favor of working these girls like that.
Considering she is a pet, you should be aiming for no eggs.
I am sure you have read the article on keeping females here:

http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

-Brad

With regard to aiming for no eggs, I didn't think she'd lay that many as her temps were cooler (a little too cold I thought) when the weather changed over here, plus she was hardly eating anything for a few months on and off. Her temps were too cool at the time and she did look a bit unwell - with slightly sunken eyes. I thought I had improved things for her by increasing the temps, which, in turn, increased her appetite! So after having cooler temps and eating hardly anything, I mistakenly thought that she'd lay less than 30. I was shocked that she laid so many.

From your comment Brad, it would appear that I am caring for Lily rather too well! :( I am well aware of the problems caused by larger clutches and certainly don't want her to lay again for a while (if at all). I will re-read the raising kitty website again with regard to temps and feeding, etc. She has been more hungry again since she laid, but its nice to see her actually want to eat!

I had a similar situation when keeping my animals at lower temps (hibernation experiment)
Everything took longer at the lower temps:
gestation
period of not eating
recovery time.

I was not aware that she was starting to cycle eggs at the time I started the temperature lowering.

Getting things "just right" can be a bit tricky.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom