Egg laying

#Chams4life

Avid Member
My female veiled has been digging a hole in her laying bin and is not turned around facing out but is completely in the hole she dug, I can't see her at all. She looks like she's sleeping in it and not moving right now but then she starts moving and I don't know what to think, she has a pile of dirt on her head and I don't think she wants to open her eyes because of it, is there any way to help her? This is her first time laying eggs since I have had her and I'm nervous, I just want her to be healthy and ok.

My female veiled has been digging a hole in her laying bin and is not turned around facing out but is completely in the hole she dug, I can't see her at all. She looks like she's sleeping in it and not moving right now but then she starts moving and I don't know what to think, she has a pile of dirt on her head and I don't think she wants to open her eyes because of it, is there any way to help her? This is her first time laying eggs since I have had her and I'm nervous, I just want her to be healthy and ok.
When a gravid female digging a tunnel,she will usually dig all the way down to the bottom of the bucket,the most important thing is NOT to disturb her at all,or else she will abandon the hole ,Im sure she will be fine once she laid all her eggs away.

When a gravid female digging a tunnel,she will usually dig all the way down to the bottom of the bucket,the most important thing is NOT to disturb her at all,or else she will abandon the hole ,Im sure she will be fine once she laid all her eggs away.

Ok. I have her cage covered, Is it normal for them to rest/sleep in the hole they dug? And should I leave her lights on all night or turn them off? Also is it ok to mist them? I haven't messed with her since I covered her cage.

The female do need rest at night ,it can be happen right in the dug hole,turn the light off at night in her normal lighting schedule,u can mist them once she laid all her eggs .

Leaving so soon....I feel used.....just kidding,ur more than welcome .

Lol. I came in to the room this morning and checked on her and she's back in her basking spot but she didn't lay, the whole she dug is still there uncovered, is she just warming up and then going to go back to the hole? She looks dehydrated and hasn't eaten in about 4days.

Offer her some food and mist her. She may well go back down to the hole and carry on.

Ok I just mister her and offered food she didn't eat or drink, I'll leave her alone for now and check on her every so often through the little holes I cut in the cover on her cage. Thank you
Oh and I noticed that she shakes her head sometimes like a male does when attracting a mate, she did it when she was digging in the hole yesterday and just now when I misted her is that a warning sign of some kind, should I be worried?

Ok I just mister her and offered food she didn't eat or drink, I'll leave her alone for now and check on her every so often through the little holes I cut in the cover on her cage. Thank you
Oh and I noticed that she shakes her head sometimes like a male does when attracting a mate, she did it when she was digging in the hole yesterday and just now when I misted her is that a warning sign of some kind, should I be worried?
Right now her priority is to lay all these eggs out and hide the eggs away,usually the female gravid cham will not eat during the egg laying process,shaking head on ur female....mmm .....was she trying to shake the dirt away ,usually males are the one doing the bopping n mounting on the female,maybe u have a female likes to be in control :rolleyes:

Lol!

How long should I let her go before taking her to the vet for help? It's been almost a week since she started digging and is still at it, also she hasn't eaten in a little more than a week and I'm starting to worry, she has been drinking some and I make sure that it's water with calcium in it. She digs a hole leaves it alone covers it and then digs in the same spot again.

Lol!

How long should I let her go before taking her to the vet for help? It's been almost a week since she started digging and is still at it, also she hasn't eaten in a little more than a week and I'm starting to worry, she has been drinking some and I make sure that it's water with calcium in it. She digs a hole leaves it alone covers it and then digs in the same spot again.
Have u try to feel her stomach? Try lightly touch and see if u can find any thing in there ? The stomach can still look big but it might be empty inside....if u cant feel anything in her tummy,than its time to dig the eggs out from the hole,if its still in there then I would bring her to the vet just incase she is having egg bound problem.

Ok, I just felt her stomach and it does feel like there are eggs in there. A few time I thought she did lay them because she would just sit in the hole she dug and look around. So I guess it's time to make a vet visit. Thank you for the help.

Btw was it a shallow tunnel she dug or all the way down?
Usually a shallow one is not the one she will feel comfortable to lay the eggs inside,when the female laid ,they always like to dug all the way down n deposit the eggs there.
Keep us posted on her,hope this help u a bit.

It was all the way to the bottom I put my hand down to make sure there wasn't any eggs in there and I could feel the plastic bottom, all the holes she dug went down to the bottom. I will and thank you again for the help

It was all the way to the bottom I put my hand down to make sure there wasn't any eggs in there and I could feel the plastic bottom, all the holes she dug went down to the bottom. I will and thank you again for the help
Your more than welcome,and that means she couldn't laid the eggs out even she dug all the way down when a week pass by,when u see ur vet ,u can mentioned the "Oxytocin" which is a hormone approved for use in multiple animal species to increase uterine contractions and/or milk letdown. It is also used for the treatment of egg binding in birds and reptiles.
Before ur vet appointment,u can try again tonight with a trash can or deeper bucket method with a lid cover n "completely leave her along" maybe she will lay in there hopefully.

Your more than welcome,and that means she couldn't laid the eggs out even she dug all the way down when a week pass by,when u see ur vet ,u can mentioned the "Oxytocin" which is a hormone approved for use in multiple animal species to increase uterine contractions and/or milk letdown. It is also used for the treatment of egg binding in birds and reptiles.
Before ur vet appointment,u can try again tonight with a trash can or deeper bucket method with a lid cover n "completely leave her along" maybe she will lay in there hopefully.

Ok thank you that will be helpful I will mention that. Her bin is 12 inches deep maybe a little more, how deep should I fill a container that would be deeper, my only fear is the tunnel collapsing on her.

Ok thank you that will be helpful I will mention that. Her bin is 12 inches deep maybe a little more, how deep should I fill a container that would be deeper, my only fear is the tunnel collapsing on her.
Dont be afraid to dig a test hole in the trash can urself(dont mean to tell u be a homeless lady)as long the moisture is right in the medium,it should hold the shape of a tunnel,plus if she can dig down ,she will also know how to dig back out,privacy is the most important thing for her,try again since ur appointment wont happen tonight,never give up cause u will never know how strong the chamy's dedications to lay her eggs.

Last edited:
Ok thank you. The appointment won't be till next week so I'll have to get a trash can and do that when I get home today. Also will she eat at all even if she didn't lay her eggs? I have been offering her food just incase, but should I stop doing that? She seems interested like she wants to eat but won't. I know that they won't eat, but it being a little more than a week I would think her instincts would be to eat to keep herself alive to lay her eggs and more energy, because she's very slow right now.

Back
Top Bottom