effect of dogs in the home on chameleon health?

ibjesschillin

i have been doing extensive research before buying a chameleon. I really want a panther but some of the sources i've read discourage having other pets in the home. I have 2 dogs, will this be too stressful on my new chameleon? I've planned on placing the screen cage approximately 3 ft from the ground in a corner of my dining room. The dogs do bark somethimes and will be passing by the cage. Would this be too stressful for my chameleon?

You could always place the enclosure in a quieter area :)

My Peanut does not seem bothered by our small dogs, but they dont pass her enclosure all that often.
She pays more attention to the tortoise than the dogs when she is in the garden too

I would keep the cage in a room the dogs dont have access too.
The barking wont bother the chameleons, but seeing the dogs around the base of the cage may. My chameleons certainly were aware of my cat (who didnt notice the chameleons existed) wandering around before I moved the cages to a cat-free zone.

I have 2 cats, they don't pay any attention to the Chams, and the Chams never seem to even notice the cats... every animal is different though.

I keep my chams in my bedroom, which is a low traffic area except at night, when me and the three dogs sleep. When I move I can have them in their own separate room but in the meantime, they don't seem bothered. I have one that is scared of everything, so for his sake I want to get him into a quieter place, but the others don't mind the dogs.

I don't think it's a reason to not get a chameleon. You can always work your away around that problem, by either putting them in an isolated part of the house or blocking off a corner (room dividers are a great way to do that. It's cheaper to build your own too, btw.)

I would say it depends on you dogs. I have a Great Dane and an older lab-pit mix-they generally do not show a ton of interest in the chams, although the Dane will check on a few of them time to time. No one seems stressed. If you have a hyper yappy dog that is always sniffing the cages, I would probably think twice.

So far, so good for me and I have a beagle and a boxer. The beagle is obviously curious, but my veiled doesn't seem to mind. He's the office, so it's not much a dog traffic area.

Back
Top Bottom