Earthworms?

fleetwoodchams

Are earthworms a menu item for chams? I have looked in the feeder list and did not see them. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

No answers about earthworms?
I have never given these as food to my chams but a friend from another site asked if they could be used as chameleon food
Said I didn't know and would ask.

I am no expert, but I do not offer earthworms, even for my chickens. I fear the parasites that the worms carry would then introduce the parasites to my chickens. That is the same reason I don't offer them to my chameleons. Hope that helps.

I am no expert, but I do not offer earthworms, even for my chickens. I fear the parasites that the worms carry would then introduce the parasites to my chickens. That is the same reason I don't offer them to my chameleons. Hope that helps.
Thanks
I have only ever given my chams commercial feeders. I fear parasites and you have just answered that question for me.

Take care

You can get earthworms off of commercial sites. don't know if they carry any parisites or not. something to check into.

I have seen mine eat them from fresh planted plants ( I re pot every new plant with my dirt )
the worms come out and they get them - but these are small " red wigglers" - not huge earthworms - but I dont feed them as a food item - but they do find a few- they seem to enjoy them - I feed alot of wild bugs - my chams live outside all summer, so even if I like it or not, they do get the wild bugs :) my fear in feeding them would not be the parasites, but more the slime a larger worm can produce , and choke the cham -

I have seen mine eat them from fresh planted plants ( I re pot every new plant with my dirt )
the worms come out and they get them - but these are small " red wigglers" - not huge earthworms - but I dont feed them as a food item - but they do find a few- they seem to enjoy them - I feed alot of wild bugs - my chams live outside all summer, so even if I like it or not, they do get the wild bugs :) my fear in feeding them would not be the parasites, but more the slime a larger worm can produce , and choke the cham -
Thanks Leaf,
The little red wigglers are available from Armstrong crickets( where I get my crickets) and I was curious if they were ever a food source for chams. Like posted earlier I would a little afraid of any that I found out in my yard for parasite or chemical issues.

i fed them to charlie

i had to break them in half but i got them from the fishing store. they are fatty and makes for a good snack not a feeder. but i have had good luck....as for finding a wild one.....i do know they have parasites and i will not feed a wild one but from a controlled farm yeah it was all good:D but remeber there is no calcium or any real value to them but fat. so a treat every once and a while is fine but not as a regular feeder

i had to break them in half but i got them from the fishing store. they are fatty and makes for a good snack not a feeder. but i have had good luck....as for finding a wild one.....i do know they have parasites and i will not feed a wild one but from a controlled farm yeah it was all good:D but remeber there is no calcium or any real value to them but fat. so a treat every once and a while is fine but not as a regular feeder
Thanks Van,

I could get a small cup from Armstrong and use them as a treat.
If they don't like them
Well -- I can go fishing : )

Id be cautious about using earthworms. They are well known for nt having the greatest value in terms of the contents of their GI tracts. Id only consider worms that were on a well specified gutloaded diet. Otherwise, I wouldnt feed them. Just my 2 cents.

Hi Beast,

When you say
They are well known for nt having the greatest value in terms of the contents of their GI tracts
Do you mean they retain the most value of what they have eaten? Or are you speaking about parasites?

Please can you clarify.

All of the above. Earthworms are pretty well known for their resiliency. They are even known to consume their own waste casing to try to recover undigested nutrients. There is even some data that says Red Wigglers gave form toxic fluids in their guts during the digestive process.

I worked in a zoo where we have a colony of freshwater stingrays, and for a while they only thing they'd eat was red wigglers and earthworms, and our nutritionist and vet had us trip the GI contents prior to feeding. Granted, thats a bit apples and oranges, going from elasmobranches to reptiles, but i think its still sound. I known a lot of insect eating snakes are only offered earthworms that are strictly dieted.

And, of course, the possibility of vectors for parasites.
In general, I would not feed something that is sued as bait to an animal I was caring for. The producers of these items have no interest, and typically have less insight as to nutritional condition or consequences. They are selling bait.

Back
Top Bottom