praying mantis?

I think using praying mantises as feeders is a really interesting idea! It can provide enrichment for your pets and is a natural way to introduce variety into their diet.
As for where to get them, Invertopia could be a great option to explore. They're known for their wide selection of invertebrates, and they prioritize the health and well-being of their animals. However, before you proceed, it's essential to consider the specific needs and care requirements of praying mantises to ensure they're suitable for your pets and setup.

MINE FINALLY HATCHED! i feel like a father 😂😂View attachment 353388View attachment 353389
2/3 have hatched!! These little guys are so cute lol
IMG_3336.jpeg

2/3 have hatched!! These little guys are so cute lolView attachment 353626
Yay! They are cute. Are you going to be able to feed them to your chameleon though? The two ooths I’ve had hatch haven’t been enough to do much for my soil gnat problem. It didn’t help that as soon as I put them into my enclosures, my chameleons found and ate them. There’s one left (that I can see) in Lucky’s enclosure and my little bin of about a couple dozen. Still not sure what I’ll be doing with them. Although not native to Florida, they aren’t considered invasive (from the info I can find), so when bigger maybe I’ll set them free.

Yay! They are cute. Are you going to be able to feed them to your chameleon though? The two ooths I’ve had hatch haven’t been enough to do much for my soil gnat problem. It didn’t help that as soon as I put them into my enclosures, my chameleons found and ate them. There’s one left (that I can see) in Lucky’s enclosure and my little bin of about a couple dozen. Still not sure what I’ll be doing with them. Although not native to Florida, they aren’t considered invasive (from the info I can find), so when bigger maybe I’ll set them free.
yes i will! I’ve tried feeding the smaller ones to todo and for whatever reason he just couldn’t see them or wasn’t interested in them. so i plan to feed them until they’re a little bigger but not big enough to hurt my boy, but i do also plan on keeping some as pets lol

yes i will! I’ve tried feeding the smaller ones to todo and for whatever reason he just couldn’t see them or wasn’t interested in them. so i plan to feed them until they’re a little bigger but not big enough to hurt my boy, but i do also plan on keeping some as pets lol

Sometimes it takes a day or two for my chams to show interest. Some never do.

I am anxiously waiting for mine! Hopefully just a few days behind you.

They are sooooo expensive. I can't remember the price but the price range was out of my budget. I talked to a mantis supplier and he said most people purchase mantis as pets.

I am interested in trying snails as feeders but I could not find a supplier. Also mantis are mean and they definitely bite.
Yeah, if you go on eBay, people sell mantis pods for like $25-$30 .. I mean you get a gazillion mantis, but they scurry quick! I've never used them, but I have family in the Carolinas that are sending me a pod

I'm way in over my head! I have 2 pods just waiting to hatch. This was a really good idea 4 weeks ago. Today, I'm questioning my decision making skills......... 😶‍🌫️
Oh.em GEE! So, seriously, they usually hold like, thousands of hatchling babies and they FLOOD out of the pod ... Google a picture of it!! It's frightening!

I'm way in over my head! I have 2 pods just waiting to hatch. This was a really good idea 4 weeks ago. Today, I'm questioning my decision making skills......... 😶‍🌫️
Aww…you’ve got this! If it makes you feel any better, I currently have a few hundred itty bitty silkworms that I hatched out the other day, have been collecting dozens of eggs from the hawk moths (that finally emerged and have each gender) and those will be hatching maybe tomorrow, have my bin of mantids and one of my ooths hatched out a hundred or so more this morning which Bart has unfortunately promptly found in his enclosure.

Back
Top Bottom