Early detected Coccidia infection.

Update: the lamp I've been using this whole time stopped working for some reason, so I've changed it to a new one.
Something surprising just happened. Jojo started to be all-green once again!
I suppose that something could be wrong with the previous one since a long time, but I couldn't notice it was too cold, since it was still "working" technically.
Today is the another day I have forcefed him with mix: cricket/dubia.
But unfortunately, I couldn't spot any food feces in his enclosure since his first feeding :( And I need his feces to make sure he has been cured successfully.
Can I ask you how long time he refused to eat and hunt? I am in 5th day of treatment and still only drinks watter. I have bit problem to force fed cause he is not opening mount at all 😊 is a good guy maybe . Today i need to give him probiotics.

It will be over a week now. Last time I noticed him hunting was around 07.02 when he did in fact hunted few mealworms, which ended up in his stool.
Since then, I couldn't notice him hunting anything.

Can I ask you how long time he refused to eat and hunt? I am in 5th day of treatment and still only drinks watter. I have bit problem to force fed cause he is not opening mount at all 😊 is a good guy maybe . Today i need to give him probiotics.
When you are giving meds after he gets them down and is still opening and closing the mouth then take a feeder and stick it in the mouth. See if the cham will take one or spit it out. Meds are really hard on their system. Depending on the age of the cham and its weight a week without food may not matter at all.

Hello together, Alberto starts to eat today. I am very happy about this. Today is 6 days of treatment. He ate only one cricket but its very good message for me. How much time should he have untill start next dose of toltrazuril?

Update: Jojo is still not hunting anything, and he often just sits with his eyes closed :(
I will be going to vet with him in two days, to check his mouth and eyes.
Other than that, he still likes to drink, and his colors are bright.

Update: Jojo is still not hunting anything, and he often just sits with his eyes closed :(
I will be going to vet with him in two days, to check his mouth and eyes.
Other than that, he still likes to drink, and his colors are bright.
We have crittical day yesterday , when we must give him also watter through syringe. But he also slept a lot like you wrote. Try mix warm watter with honey. I hope that he will be better tommorow.

We have crittical day yesterday , when we must give him also watter through syringe. But he also slept a lot like you wrote. Try mix warm watter with honey. I hope that he will be better tommorow.
Did he start eating after that?
I have a huge problems getting the ingredients for the bug soup here where I live :(

Don't get me wrong, but I just would like to get more sure about it, as I could even be possible to make a similar mix right now.
@Beman is it safe to feed chameleon with mix containing honey? I have heard that Iguanas are sometimes fed with it, but in term of carnivores like chameleons, I'm not entirely convinced.
As goes for the probiotics, I have heard about reptoboost. I would like to hear your opinion on that.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, but I just would like to get more sure about it, as I could even be possible to make a similar mix right now.
@Beman is it safe to feed chameleon with mix containing honey? I have heard that Iguanas are sometimes fed with it, but in term of carnivores like chameleons, I'm not entirely convinced.
As goes for the probiotics, I have heard about reptoboost. I would like to hear your opinion on that.
I am not 100% sure. I know we are not supposed to feed them fruit because of the high sugar content and their bodies not processing it correctly. I would imagine honey would be high in sugar and have the same issue.

I thought you were able to get him to take a feeder by putting it into his mouth. Was that not working? Have you tried loading the feeder bowl or run with them to see if the movement triggers an eating response?

As for now, no reaction to moving feeders.
As I'm sure he has already eaten some food I have force fed him last time, I try not to stress him with force feeding too much.
His last medication was on 14.02. and since then, he still hasn't hunted anything. Day after tomorrow, I'm going to vet with him to check his health.
And i'm still seeking for the ways on how to increase his appetite. Lack of feces despite the force feeding is also distressing.

Last edited:
As for now, no reaction to moving feeders.
As I'm sure he has already eaten some food I have force fed him last time, I try not to stress him with force feeding too much.
His last medication was on 14.02. and since then, he still hasn't hunted anything. Day after tomorrow, I'm going to vet with him to check his health.
And i'm still seeking for the ways on how to increase his appetite. Lack of feces despite the force feeding is also distressing.
You can crush up the bugs then blend with a tiny bit of water as well. If you have to force feed. Just make sure your very careful forcing the mouth open and aim to the very back of the throat. Their airway is in the front and you can aspirate them very easily.

Got back from the Vet yesterday. He has provided Jojo with a necessary nutrients he has lost due to not eating much on his own.
Today, I tried to feed him with the tiny field crickets, which he become very interested in at the beginning. But as he lowered to them in order to reach them, he decided not to open his mouth,aim or finally shoot with his tongue.
His mouth and eyes were checked, and apparently, they look fine. I can see that he still detects the move, and he appears interested in food, but for some reason, he doesn't shoot the tongue to get it :(

UPDATE: Jojo has catched the crickets!
I have left the cup with the crickets a bit tilted, so he could reach them more easily, and then, went back to my PC. At random moment, I have turned my head towards him, and I have actually noticed him eating the cricket!
I'm not really sure how exactly did it look like as I have only noticed the fact of digestation, and not the hunting, but It's a happy news anyway!

UPDATE: Jojo has catched the crickets!
I have left the cup with the crickets a bit tilted, so he could reach them more easily, and then, went back to my PC. At random moment, I have turned my head towards him, and I have actually noticed him eating the cricket!
I'm not really sure how exactly did it look like as I have only noticed the fact of digestation, and not the hunting, but It's a happy news anyway!
Thats very good message i think now it will be better and better. Naturaly is for him a big stress to visit a vet. Did he get an infusion? I ak still very stressed to take my cham there 😕

Thats very good message i think now it will be better and better. Naturaly is for him a big stress to visit a vet. Did he get an infusion? I ak still very stressed to take my cham there 😕
surprisingly, he generally looks much better after visiting a vet (more accurately, after getting infused with nutritiens)
And today I just observed him from time to time. After noticing him eating, I was observing him a bit more, and have even caught him shooting his tongue to catch the cricket!
I suppose tomorrow will be the day he will be possible to inhabit the new tank. I hope at least.
From this place, I wanted to greatly thank all the people replying in this thread! You are great! ❤️🦎

hello to everyone, Alberto received yesterday the last dose of toltrazuril. Can I ask you , when is the best time to take poo to the laboratory for new tests? Thanks

Back
Top Bottom