Early detected Coccidia infection.

I'm really having some troubles with putting them on a screen :( Cockroaches just drop off/wander away from him really fast, and the crickets just jump off any surface I drop them (and as a result, they end up on the soil/fake tree leaves) Do you know how could I avoid these issues? I've seen that many people are using a structure that keeps the insects alive on the small net sheet. But how does it work? is that net sticky or something?
So it works best with crickets to do this with. But you have to let them settle in the cup before you get one out. If they are all bouncy they will jump off.

There are a few options for feeder runs. Full throttle feeders and then the shooting gallery by TK chameleons. They are not sticky but the bugs are more trapped and just crawl up. The full throttle is its own thing that goes in. The shooting gallery gets pinned to your screen and they use that to crawl up.

Hello again!

I wasn't possible to buy the full throttle feeder yet, but I've come with new informations.
It looks weird, however Jojo sometimes tends to notice the food, and sometimes, he's even interested in it (gets closer and observes) but never really opens his mouth to shoot his tongue :(
He doesn't even try to do that, so I could confim that he fails at it.
Besides that, his colors are mostly back to normal (not all bright like most of your chams in here, but generally I can spot his pattern, which differs a lot from his previous all-muddy state)
Could it be, that nematodes are the cause of it? I haven't finished curing the coccidia yet, and the vet asked me to start curing the nematodes, starting next week. Won't be that long time without food too dangerous for him? :(

Hello again!

I wasn't possible to buy the full throttle feeder yet, but I've come with new informations.
It looks weird, however Jojo sometimes tends to notice the food, and sometimes, he's even interested in it (gets closer and observes) but never really opens his mouth to shoot his tongue :(
He doesn't even try to do that, so I could confim that he fails at it.
Besides that, his colors are mostly back to normal (not all bright like most of your chams in here, but generally I can spot his pattern, which differs a lot from his previous all-muddy state)
Could it be, that nematodes are the cause of it? I haven't finished curing the coccidia yet, and the vet asked me to start curing the nematodes, starting next week. Won't be that long time without food too dangerous for him? :(
So as I said for me this would be a vet visit. Whenever there is an issue of targeting food you need to ensure there is not an actual issue with the mouth. Things like mouth rot will make them avoid food. So it may not be a tongue issue but actually a mouth issue.

Then there is the fact that he is being treated with meds. So if the eating stopped when treatment started then it may very well be just an issue of not wanting to eat due to the meds. Not all chams get this type of reaction though. So this is why ensuring there is not a mouth issue is important.

@kinyonga knows a way of making bug soup essentially. This is better than doing the different mixtures the vets will offer because those typically have vitamins loaded in them. Which again you have to worry about too much fat soluble vitamins. With this and force feeding you have to aim at the very back of the throat though. Because their airway is up front. So you have to be very careful not to aspirate them.

With him not eating it might be better to wait a week between starting another medication. These meds can be hard on their organ system.

I will make sure to bring him to the vet as soon as possible.
Also, not sure if this might be connected to the previous issues, but I also noticed that somehow, he tends to keep his eyes closed during the day :(
How am I also supposed to smash the bugs into the liquid? what's the best method for doing that?

I will make sure to bring him to the vet as soon as possible.
Also, not sure if this might be connected to the previous issues, but I also noticed that somehow, he tends to keep his eyes closed during the day :(
How am I also supposed to smash the bugs into the liquid? what's the best method for doing that?
Closing eyes can be linked to illness. It can also be linked to not having the right type of UVB light. It can also be linked to leaving lights on at night and them not being able to get real sleep.
What UVB lighting type and bulb strength are you using and what is the distance from the bottom of the fixture to the branches below it?

I tagged Kinyonga to give you the bug soup method. I personally do not know it.

The UVB is actually good, and I've got no concerns about it since it was recommended to buy in there.
It is Arcadia 6% UVB, and it is placed directly on the enclosure's roof.
As goes for the leaving lights on at night, I always make sure to give him at least 11 hours of sleep (22:00-9:00)
I have already contacted kiyonga, let's hope the soup will work on him.

The UVB is actually good, and I've got no concerns about it since it was recommended to buy in there.
It is Arcadia 6% UVB, and it is placed directly on the enclosure's roof.
As goes for the leaving lights on at night, I always make sure to give him at least 11 hours of sleep (22:00-9:00)
I have already contacted kiyonga, let's hope the soup will work on him.
Ok and do you have a distance of 8-9 inches between the screen where the fixture is placed and the branches below? You need this distance for the chameleon to be in the correct UVI level.

The branches are located around 9-10 inches from the ceiling.
He has also received his last coccidia meds.
From now on, he will be having full week free of any medicine.
He started to have tongue problems not even the moment I started to cure him, but during a week between his medicine intakes
(I had to give them to him three days in a row, then 5 days were cure-free, and then, third days of intake again)
I will still take him to the vet, so he could observe his mouth.
IMG_20230214_181907.jpg

Here's the current picture of Jojo. For me, he looks much better than he looked a while ago. Colors aside, even his mass on the legs look much better.
What do you think?

The branches are located around 9-10 inches from the ceiling.
He has also received his last coccidia meds.
From now on, he will be having full week free of any medicine.
He started to have tongue problems not even the moment I started to cure him, but during a week between his medicine intakes
(I had to give them to him three days in a row, then 5 days were cure-free, and then, third days of intake again)
I will still take him to the vet, so he could observe his mouth.
IMG_20230214_181907.jpg

Here's the current picture of Jojo. For me, he looks much better than he looked a while ago. Colors aside, even his mass on the legs look much better.
What do you think?
What is going on with his mouth at the front? Did he take a feeder?

It is a mealworm. The moment I gave him the medicine, I have also fed him with them, making use of his mouth being easy to open.
Also, don't worry about the cables. I am completely sure about their safety, they are turned on only during autumn-winter, to provide additional heat throughout the whole enclosure (aside from the basking spot)
And they only emit a heat of around 15 Celsius.

It is a mealworm. The moment I gave him the medicine, I have also fed him with them, making use of his mouth being easy to open.
Ok so did he eat that or spit it back out? Have you been doing this or was this just today?

Today, and the day before yesterday. Last time i've only managed to give him one cricket, and it took him some time to eat it.
This time however, he ate and swallowed mealworms pretty easily. (I have also tried to give him adult madagascar cockroach' insides, but he didn't like them in any way)

Today, and the day before yesterday. Last time i've only managed to give him one cricket, and it took him some time to eat it.
This time however, he ate and swallowed mealworms pretty easily. (I have also tried to give him adult madagascar cockroach' insides, but he didn't like them in any way)
Ok so as long as your getting feeders into him keep doing this causing as little stress as possible.

So as I said for me this would be a vet visit. Whenever there is an issue of targeting food you need to ensure there is not an actual issue with the mouth. Things like mouth rot will make them avoid food. So it may not be a tongue issue but actually a mouth issue.

Then there is the fact that he is being treated with meds. So if the eating stopped when treatment started then it may very well be just an issue of not wanting to eat due to the meds. Not all chams get this type of reaction though. So this is why ensuring there is not a mouth issue is important.

@kinyonga knows a way of making bug soup essentially. This is better than doing the different mixtures the vets will offer because those typically have vitamins loaded in them. Which again you have to worry about too much fat soluble vitamins. With this and force feeding you have to aim at the very back of the throat though. Because their airway is up front. So you have to be very careful not to aspirate them.

With him not eating it might be better to wait a week between starting another medication. These meds can be hard on their organ system.
Bug juice…
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

Hello to everyone, sry that i use this chanell but i am new here and also have a question regarding my new chameleon. He is 7 months old panther and we bought him from one guy which is raiser cca 52 pieces at home. We decide to have a poo examined in laboratory and after 2 days we have result that he is massive contaminated with oocysts Isospora +++ . I put here a photo but i am from Slovakia and this is in my language. The problem is that guy who sold me chameleon said , this result is completely OK and chameleon can live with this cause of natural immunity. My vet said this is realy massive (+++) and chameleon must have immediately Toltrazuril . This is in my country as approved medicine. Chameleon is now third day with medicine also he has first dose behind but he is lethargically , doesnt eat and drinks little watter. Now my question is : who is here right? Should I stop the treatment as guy said or should I continue as vet said ? Tommorow should chameleon start with probiotics for regeneration. Thank you very much for advise.

Attachments

• thumbnail_5C1B01BB-54C1-4636-8755-D527B616CEE1.jpg
    thumbnail_5C1B01BB-54C1-4636-8755-D527B616CEE1.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 52
Hello to everyone, sry that i use this chanell but i am new here and also have a question regarding my new chameleon. He is 7 months old panther and we bought him from one guy which is raiser cca 52 pieces at home. We decide to have a poo examined in laboratory and after 2 days we have result that he is massive contaminated with oocysts Isospora +++ . I put here a photo but i am from Slovakia and this is in my language. The problem is that guy who sold me chameleon said , this result is completely OK and chameleon can live with this cause of natural immunity. My vet said this is realy massive (+++) and chameleon must have immediately Toltrazuril . This is in my country as approved medicine. Chameleon is now third day with medicine also he has first dose behind but he is lethargically , doesnt eat and drinks little watter. Now my question is : who is here right? Should I stop the treatment as guy said or should I continue as vet said ? Tommorow should chameleon start with probiotics for regeneration. Thank you very much for advise.
@JacksJill can you give feedback on this?

Your vet is correct. High numbers of coccidia require treatment. The medication will affect their appetite during treatment but so will having a large load of parasites. If necessary you can force feed but appetite should improve once the medication is finished. Live food should contain probiotics in it's digestive track.
If the vet gave you probiotics then give them. Offer water with a dripper frequently.

Your vet is correct. High numbers of coccidia require treatment. The medication will affect their appetite during treatment but so will having a large load of parasites. If necessary you can force feed but appetite should improve once the medication is finished. Live food should contain probiotics in it's digestive track.
If the vet gave you probiotics then give them. Offer water with a dripper frequently.
Thanks guys for your advice i will inform how it continue with Alberto . 😊🦎

Attachments

• 9AC8EAB7-3F3B-46AA-AA0F-F04B6D153A0E.jpeg
    9AC8EAB7-3F3B-46AA-AA0F-F04B6D153A0E.jpeg
    295.2 KB · Views: 48
Update: the lamp I've been using this whole time stopped working for some reason, so I've changed it to a new one.
Something surprising just happened. Jojo started to be all-green once again!
I suppose that something could be wrong with the previous one since a long time, but I couldn't notice it was too cold, since it was still "working" technically.
Today is the another day I have forcefed him with mix: cricket/dubia.
But unfortunately, I couldn't spot any food feces in his enclosure since his first feeding :( And I need his feces to make sure he has been cured successfully.

Update: the lamp I've been using this whole time stopped working for some reason, so I've changed it to a new one.
Something surprising just happened. Jojo started to be all-green once again!
I suppose that something could be wrong with the previous one since a long time, but I couldn't notice it was too cold, since it was still "working" technically.
Today is the another day I have forcefed him with mix: cricket/dubia.
But unfortunately, I couldn't spot any food feces in his enclosure since his first feeding :( And I need his feces to make sure he has been cured successfully.
Just remember with coccidia your wanting 3 clean fecals. Typically done 2-3 weeks a part. Because of the parasite cycle you may get a clean fecal but it may be due to the parasite not producing the oocysts at that time. And that is what is in the fecal that they look for.

Back
Top Bottom