Dying Senegal, NEED HELP!

Well we just recently bought a Senegal Chameleon. He has to been doing great until this afternoon. Some symptoms are an open mouth, some discoloration, very weak, and eyes closed (but moving). Not moving body at all. Falling off branches and not putting forth any effort to get back up. Need quick solutions or remedies. Willing to do anything, and everything. He is really on the verge. If anyone has any answers or questions just post them, we really need help. Pictures will soon come!

Attachments

• DSCN1463.jpg
    DSCN1463.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 215
  • DSCN1464.jpg
    DSCN1464.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 203
  • DSCN1465.jpg
    DSCN1465.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN1470.jpg
    DSCN1470.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 209
If you are willing to do anything and everything then get him to the vet ASAP! One that has experience with chameleons if possible:eek:

There are many experienced chameleon keepers here but one can only speculate what is wrong. Senegal chameleons often come in in high numbers and high parasite loads and very beat up. They are also not the easiest of chameleons to keep.

Fill this out to help others get an idea of things. However if you can get to a vet with chameleon experience right now I would not waste time. It sounds like your chameleon is going down hill very quickly:(

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
* Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
* Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
* Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
* Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
* Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
* History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
* Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
* Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
* Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
* Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
* Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
* Location - Where are you geographically located?

Pictures are helpful

Current Problem - some symptoms are an open mouth, some discoloration, very weak, and eyes closed (but moving). Not moving body at all. Falling off branches and not putting forth any effort to get back up.

Chameleon Info:
• Your Chameleon -Senegal, not sure what sex, not sure what age. I have had it for 4-5 days.
• Handling- Pretty often.
• Feeding - Crickets? Reasonable amount.? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
• Supplements –I’ve sprayed it with Vitaspray before?
• Watering –Mist, waterfall? Just a few times, alot?
• Fecal Description – Color is in picture. Ive never had it checked.
• History – Bought it from Petland.

Cage Info:
• Cage Type – Glass cage, around 2 ft sq.
• Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
• Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
• Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
• Plants – a lily
• Location – North Georgia.

Not sure on blank questions. Im not aware since its my brothers, so this is all i can provide.

Take it to a chameleon expirienced vet if you want it to even have a chance at surviving. The symptoms sound like he on his last leg, if you can even call it that. When a chameleon makes no effort to climb back up it usually means it is dying.

well, sounds like your doing just about everything wrong. You need to do alot of research, maybe someone will have more patience and write down all you need to fix, get the poor thing to a vet!

I cant go to a vet right now. Its impossible..but if you have any suggestions, and myths youve heard to help it, ill try anything.

Ok - chameleons are sensitive reptiles, theres no home remedies, or myths that would even begin to help your chameleon, they are not something to be taken lightly. You want my suggestion, GO TO A VET, thats the only chance you have of the chameleon surviving.

I will go out on a limb and give my opinion. I think your chameleon is WC and probably full of parasites. It is probably stress to the max and chameleons don't do well with high stress (you mention handling a lot, as far as the chameleon is concerned you are going to eat him). Chameleons are a "look don't touch type of 'pet'".

You don't mention your temps, so what are you using for a heat source? It might be too high.

I will be the bad guy here and say your chameleon doesn't look so hot and probably will die. :(

He is probably very dehydrated and this will contribute to the stree.

Did you do any research before you bought him or was it on a whim?

For now, try to get some water down its throat and stop handling him.

I am sorry. The chameleon is basically dead:(

Could have just been near death when you bought it and you just did not see it. They hide symptoms until they can not anymore. There are also lots of things to fix about the setup. It could be possible impaction from the bark, dont know if a lily is poisonous, or how the pet shop kept it?

Was it eating at all, drinking, basking, active?

I am sorry. It is not in my possession so I can not say for sure but by the looks of the picture I would have it put out of its misery:( If you can not get a vet to humanely put it down then you can do it yourself. Inhumane ways are decapitation, possibly a gas chamber, freezing, drowning it etc. This might not sound humane but. Crush its head as fast as you can. This will destroy the brain the quickest way causing it the least pain. I am sorry:(

I will go out on a limb and give my opinion. I think your chameleon is WC and probably full of parasites. It is probably stress to the max and chameleons don't do well with high stress (you mention handling a lot, as far as the chameleon is concerned you are going to eat him). Chameleons are a "look don't touch type of 'pet'".

You don't mention your temps, so what are you using for a heat source? It might be too high.

I will be the bad guy here and say your chameleon doesn't look so hot and probably will die. :(

He is probably very dehydrated and this will contribute to the stree.

Did you do any research before you bought him or was it on a whim?

For now, try to get some water down its throat and stop handling him.

Thank you AJA, feeling a bit lazy today.

You got me thinking, if the chameleon is a nonresponsive state putting water down its throat might do more bad then good, It may not choose to swallow it and choke. One thing Ive learned is the biggest mistake that people who buy chameleons on a whim make is not getting them enough water.

Good point Lizardlover. I probably should have clarified that a bit better. :eek:

I am sorry. The chameleon is basically dead:(

Could have just been near death when you bought it and you just did not see it. They hide symptoms until they can not anymore. There are also lots of things to fix about the setup. It could be possible impaction from the bark, dont know if a lily is poisonous, or how the pet shop kept it?

Was it eating at all, drinking, basking, active?

I am sorry. It is not in my possession so I can not say for sure but by the looks of the picture I would have it put out of its misery:( If you can not get a vet to humanely put it down then you can do it yourself. Inhumane ways are decapitation, possibly a gas chamber, freezing, drowning it etc. This might not sound humane but. Crush its head as fast as you can. This will destroy the brain the quickest way causing it the least pain. I am sorry:(

I wouldnt say drowning is even an option! If I were to do a euthenization on a whim I would freeze it, just wrap it in a blanket and it will go to sleep, slowly its body will freeze and it will die with minimal pain.

Gosh I hate talking about euthenasia:eek:

I wouldnt say drowning is even an option! If I were to do a euthenization on a whim I would freeze it, just wrap it in a blanket and it will go to sleep, slowly its body will freeze and it will die with minimal pain.

Gosh I hate talking about euthenasia:eek:

It sucks huh?:( I forget the thread but there was lots of info on doing it humanely. Even gas chamber and freezing was considered inhumane along with freezing. There were plenty of links and professional points of view. In the end the best ways were to have a vet do it or crush its brain as quick as possible. Eg. Between two bricks:eek:

I would not freeze it because it is supposed to be very painful. Ice crystals or something forming in your muscles... It sounds brutal, but smash it's head with a hammer/something heavy or break its neck completely if you choose to euthanize it...

It sucks huh?:( I forget the thread but there was lots of info on doing it humanely. Even gas chamber and freezing was considered inhumane along with freezing. There were plenty of links and professional points of view. In the end the best ways were to have a vet do it or crush its brain as quick as possible. Eg. Between two bricks:eek:

I agree, I cant find the thread, maybe a search under "euthenasia"

Alright, well we are taking him to the vet. Hes showing signs of life, thank God. Ill keep you updated.

Glad to see you are taking it to the vet. If you've only had it for a short while, another option would be to take it back to the petstore for a refund. They will take the animal to the vet (at least I hope they would). If the chameleon is very sick, I would take the vet bill to the petstore and ask them to pay it.

Back
Top Bottom