Dusting question…grasshoppers

I do not feed hoppers but everything I have ever read has only mentioned BSFL being ok not to dust because they have a high calcium ratio. The purpose of dusting is to balance out the phosphorus to calcium ratio of the insects. Lightly dusting insects does not hurt the chameleon. Not dusting however can.

I do not feed hoppers but everything I have ever read has only mentioned BSFL being ok not to dust because they have a high calcium ratio. The purpose of dusting is to balance out the phosphorus to calcium ratio of the insects. Lightly dusting insects does not hurt the chameleon. Not dusting however can.
I also heard this about silkies? That they’re high in calcium so don’t need to be dusted

I also heard this about silkies? That they’re high in calcium so don’t need to be dusted
So from my understanding this would be incorrect. We dust to balance the calcium to phosphorus levels of the insect. If you look below Nutrigrubs are BSFL. See how the calcium level is 3 times the phosphorus? That is why we do not have to dust them. If you look at all other feeders the calcium level is a fraction of the phosphorus level and this is why we have to dust these to try to balance that calcium to phosphorus level back out. If you look at silkworms their calcium to phosphorus level is really low and unbalanced. So you would need to dust them as well.

Feeder nutrition chart.jpeg

So from my understanding this would be incorrect. We dust to balance the calcium to phosphorus levels of the insect. If you look below Nutrigrubs are BSFL. See how the calcium level is 3 times the phosphorus? That is why we do not have to dust them. If you look at all other feeders the calcium level is a fraction of the phosphorus level and this is why we have to dust these to try to balance that calcium to phosphorus level back out. If you look at silkworms their calcium to phosphorus level is really low and unbalanced. So you would need to dust them as well.

View attachment 345865
Oooh this is a helpful table. Where did you find it?

Many of these numbers are questionable. I don't know about this one specifically, but dubia roach companies made charts like these, skewed in their favor, to boost sales. I noticed that sources were often missing or not scientific at all, but no one bothers to check (understandable, we don't have infinite time). Some of it could be completely made up 😆. It would probably be a good idea to make our own chart with proper sources from the scientific literature.

Many of these numbers are questionable. I don't know about this one specifically, but dubia roach companies made charts like these, skewed in their favor, to boost sales. I noticed that sources were often missing or not scientific at all, but no one bothers to check (understandable, we don't have infinite time). Some of it could be completely made up 😆. It would probably be a good idea to make our own chart with proper sources from the scientific literature.
If you decide to make one..... Then you know we would love it. :)

I think I’ve heard you mentioned this during Bill’s podcast interview or maybe read it before. If you can come up with an unbiased and science based feeder nutritional value chart the community will really appreciate it. I hope you can squeezed in doing the research in your busy schedule. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom