Dubia's .. Sweet

What temps. do they have to be kept? If I could keep them in my shed in the summer, and in the furnace room in the winter..then I might be okay. Just worried about finding excapees in my bed. I wouldn't sleep for a month. thinking about one of those crawling in my mouth...

They aren't to fast as for care info look at post 13 of this thread. I wrote a pretty good care guide here earlier today.

you eat approximately 8 spiders a year, I don't think a roach will be bad. :D
Haha, Btw, where is a good place to buy/get dubias?
I'm getting a Nosy Be in about a weeks time, I've studied and researched a lot on these fellas, so I think I'm ready to own a cham!
Only one problem though, can someone inbox me Feeding info, such as how often do I feed a juvenile Panther Chameleon.
And which Live plant is most ideal for a chameleon's cage?

do a search on here on anything you would like to know.. also someone will help u out pretty fast on here with any questions as you have.. good luck

do these roaches die off naturally, i.e. old age or do they feed off each other? How long do they live for naturally if not used as a staple feed as far as the adults are concerned? How long does it take for the eggs/babies take to mature to breeding age? I also have an unused 10 gallon fish tank collecting dust in my garage, is that an acceptable housing or container for these roaches, it also has a screen top. also is there such a concept as over crowding in a 10 gallon tank or how many is too many?

A 10 gallon tank would work perfect....I've read somewhere that having too big of a bin is not soo good since the roaches like to snuggle with each other lol....getting one of those sterilite drawer systems is perfect...u can keep adults in one area and babies and feeders in another..

do these roachesed? die off naturally, i.e. old age or do they feed off each other? How long do they live for naturally if not used as a staple feed as far as the adults are concern How long does it take for the eggs/babies take to mature to breeding age? I also have an unused 10 gallon fish tank collecting dust in my garage, is that an acceptable housing for container for these roaches, it also has a screen top. also is there such a concept as over crowding in a 10 gallon tank or how many is too many?

Hope this helps.
  • Dubias can live for up to about 1.5 years
  • They are born Live (incubated inside the mother)
  • Maturity is reached at 3 to 5 months (depending on heat and diet)

I don't use glass tanks, because I have bad luck with them braking (from being bumped or something falling on them. Also, I worry about the tank cracking from the heatpad.

The best thing I have found was to use Sterilite 64 Qt./61 Litter storage totes.

Reasons:
  • Easy to find (Walmart, K-Mart, etc.)
  • Cheap ($8)
  • Easy to modify (holes for ventilation)
  • Easy to clean (no hard edges or silicone)
  • Durable (can take a beating)
  • Stack-able

For more info on care Check Post 13 from this thread.

The 64 Qt. tub I have my colony in right now easily supports the room needed for all 4000ish roaches I have at the moment, and could easily support a couple more thousand.

Yes, you can keep the babies in the colony with all the rest, as long as they are fed properly there will be no cannibalism.

Next to no smell, as for the noise its no where near as annoying as crickets. For the most part they are very quiet. When you open the tub to feed them and take out ones for feeding they will scatter (causing some noise) and occasionally I here them moving around thru the day.

Next to no smell, as for the noise its no where near as annoying as crickets. For the most part they are very quiet. When you open the tub to feed them and take out ones for feeding they will scatter (causing some noise) and occasionally I here them moving around thru the day.

ok but no noise as far as chirping or any kind of insectile communications that go on between them?

Just feed them high protein low calcium dry food. If you see missing wings from males, its usually caused by too much males in the enclosure (fighting) or lack of protein.

You can hear my colonies eating if they are really hungry (like if I've been out of town for a couple days and return and feed them).

it has to be so quiet for you to hear them or you have to have a couple thousand for it to reach a decible level loud enough to interupt your t.v. sound

it has to be so quiet for you to hear them or you have to have a couple thousand for it to reach a decible level loud enough to interupt your t.v. sound

Apparently its about 2 feet away from my bed. When i'm laying in bed, i can hear them. And yes i have couple of thousands. Sometimes it scares me thinking that there was escapes...:eek:

Back
Top Bottom