Dubia

Are any of you afraid these roaches of any kind can get out and infest your house??

This is brought up every once in a while. It was probably all of our concern at some point. There are thousands of species of roaches, only I think 6-8 are found around the world as pest species. Some can even be trickier to keep alive than chameleons(not usually the ones used as feeders though). Most are pretty easy, but have certain requirements that make reproduction in the average house nearly impossible. Like dubia may survive for a while, but you won't see them breeding in your house. The only ones I think you could come across that may have some potential to reproduce in your house, and still very unlikely, would IMO be:
-lobster roaches... which can breed at room temp(most species need very warm temps)
-red runners... if you live somewhere warm all year, and they have access to a moisture source to lay their ooths. People in desert climates will find them sometimes. To ease your mind my wife almost divorced me when our cat busted open a container of 200 in our house... within about a week I found no more living ones. They all died off quickly, even here in humid Pennsylvania. Roaches usually don't do well without large numbers, they try to congregate.
-surinam roaches could potentially hang out in the soil of indoor plants for a while and are quick breeders. Thing with them is, once they lose their soil to burrow in, they die quickly. So you wouldn't see them running around the house.

Red runners are my nightmare and I'll never touch them again lol. They've successfully infested my girlfriend's neighborhood in NorCal and I'm not sure if it's my fault 😬

You can get grasshoppers/locusts in the US now, as well! I buy mine from @SauceGandhi
Thanks I need to catch up on stock!

Been wanting to get some from him too, but don't have the space for a screen cage atm 🙁
Yeah that's the main downside. They're quite space-intensive compared to most feeders.

I just keep my locusts in a funarium which isn't that big I think there is an amount vs space ratio but my adults are a couple of months old. What size of enclosure do yea think you need for them ?

How many locusts in there . That would be better than a funarium think mine is roughly 12x10x 6 . Better ventilation
Depends on the sizes. Small nymphs? 500+. Adults? maybe 50.

Apparently that means something different than it does in other parts of the world.
https://www.google.com/search?q=fun...XYWc0KHdG4DV0Q_AUoAnoECAEQBQ&biw=1024&bih=625

I was going to suggest a butterfly cage for keeping locusts. When I was a kid, I caught grasshoppers daily in the back field and fed them directly to my green anoles.
Butterfly cages are good for small nymphs but they start chewing through it when they get bigger.

Not totally off topic but hey its my thread and good to see other members bounce of it in a positive way. So does anyone give their feeders honey 🍯 as some of us use bee pollen?

Yeah nearly complety dark from yesterday. Does anyone on here that breeds their own insects have pictures of their setup ? I only have 1 cham but something I'd like to try just for fun lol flipping chams
Here are pics of my setups for dubias, hornworms, and silkworms.

Me right now my dubia colonies are in here. Once my hornworm eggs are ready they will go in here too with a special feeder cup setup that

6C2DE068-30F8-4A81-96BF-28918F6B1686.jpeg

A62ACE54-EA89-41B6-8635-1836D932A82F.jpeg

F1E0FCF2-BDC0-4698-858D-52087C22259D.jpeg

This is my hornworm setup. I currently have 11 pupa.

4DFF4318-4ACA-4E4F-BBFE-282AEFA5A8EF.jpeg

Finally, my silkworms. These are by far the hardest. I’m learning the most working with these guys.

E3C7919E-94CE-4BEA-834D-0A9C9F4C2FCF.jpeg

Here are pics of my setups for dubias, hornworms, and silkworms.

Me right now my dubia colonies are in here. Once my hornworm eggs are ready they will go in here too with a special feeder cup setup that

View attachment 304469
View attachment 304470
View attachment 304471

This is my hornworm setup. I currently have 11 pupa.

View attachment 304472

Finally, my silkworms. These are by far the hardest. I’m learning the most working with these guys.

View attachment 304473
I'm so jealous of those mulberry leaves!!!

I also give my feeders rolled oats / oatmeal but think I'm going to switch that to oatl bran maybe make little oat bran honey / bee pollen flakes

Back
Top Bottom