Dubia

Flick boy

Chameleon Enthusiast
Never noticed this before. So the albino on the left has shed shell on the right
20210625_190331.jpg

I currently only have dubia but going to try and get red runners. Also. Good 👍 question id only thought about sterile so open to opions but was going to try locusts, crickets as well and trying to get some sun bettles to hatch have at present ( pachnoda grubs) .

Yeah I've seen a couple of sterile setups for roaches neither thought about a bio one which sounds interesting. Frustrating at the moment I usually keep way more insects than I need as the petshops aren't always getting delivery and even at that bought 3 boxes of locusts last week which I got 4 locusts the rest where all dead in 2 days. I have adult locusts which I've had for 2 months just to big for my girl be nice to breed my own stock and know exactly what has gone into them

I think all of my roach bins are bioactive at this point. It has its ups and downs(easier maintenance, roaches tend to do better/breed more with substrate... downside, digging through soil to collect small nymphs) but stays much cleaner when you have many colonies. In time, the soil becomes so rich you can use it to fertilize plants and the soil itself breaks down pretty much anything you bury in it.

For a female panther...
Red runners are a fantastic cricket replacement. Cuban burrowing roaches are very similar looking to dubia, but far more active. Banana roaches are amazing treats, or the nymphs can be fed off once you have a lot, they are active, soft, and can't climb. Ember/shadow roach are nice, similar to banana nymphs, but slightly larger(which is still small, perfect for smaller chams). Really many more options, I'd pick a species that interests you/is available to you over in UK and then go from there, you could make almost any of them work well as feeders. Even huge hissers have tiny soft nymphs that can be fed off!

Are any of you afraid these roaches of any kind can get out and infest your house??
I can only speak with regard to Dubias. They have rather limited reproductive requirements, but this is why they're illegal in FL, CA, LA, AL, and HI, which have climates conducive to their reproduction.
They're also illegal in Canada. 🤷‍♂️

I live in the Northeast US, and while I've had very few escapes, all have been accounted for—dead & desiccated.

Nope the roaches don't really bother me and as I live in the uk don't think they would ever infest the house now on the other hand I fk hate crickets lol I double make sure their box is well closed 😅 jumpy little fkres the only feeder I will handle is my locusts

Back
Top Bottom