Dubia Tank help.

Sancho

I'm trying to figure out a way to black out the glass so the light is very minimal on them. I don't want to spray paint it though even though on my search someone did. Is there like tint? or something I could use?

Did you try Shelf liner on the outside. It is pretty cheap and easy to get at your local grocery store. But I think getting a cheapy tub/bin at the dollar store would be less trouble and cheaper.

Royden - I have them in my closet so they get darkness 80% of the day / night but I want them to breed :)

yoza717 - I was going to do the plastic bin but decided on a 6 gallon tank instead so I could put the heat pad below it without having a chance of the plastic burning or melting

Get some black foam board and just tape it to the outside. Cheap and easy. You can get foam board from any craft store or stationary store.

Jan - that's a great idea didn't even think of that! My son has black construction paper at home too!

Lancecham - Yes I know but I heard that darkness is best for them rather then daylight.

Royden - I have them in my closet so they get darkness 80% of the day / night but I want them to breed :)

How much light they have won't effect their circadian rhythm. I have a colony inside a sealed box, that's inside another insulated, sealed box (wife won't let them inside the house) so they have total pitch dark 100% of the time. If I open their box during the day..it's dead quiet in there, if I open it at night it's like a mexican wedding going on. They know how to party. They like the darkness..but you can't "fool" their internal clocks.

I honestly don't think this will help you that much. You need high temps,darkness at night, and food and water. That's it. (imo)

If anything, cardboard to block direct sunlight maybe. But if they're in your closet they should be totally fine. It's all about the temperatures.

Last edited:
How much light they have won't effect their circadian rhythm. I have a colony inside a sealed box, that's inside another insulated, sealed box (wife won't let them inside the house) so they have total pitch dark 100% of the time. If I open their box during the day..it's dead quiet in there, if I open it at night it's like a mexican wedding going on. They know how to party. They like the darkness..but you can't "fool" their internal clocks.

I honestly don't think this will help you that much. You need high temps,darkness at night, and food and water. That's it. (imo)

If anything, cardboard to block direct sunlight maybe. But if they're in your closet they should be totally fine. It's all about the temperatures.

I love the part about the mexican wedding. LOL So true.
My roaches breed like crazy and there in clear plastic tubs if they want to be in the dark they go under there egg crate. All you need is a heat source and you'll have so many roaches you won't know what do do with em. I also like to water them at night it's fun to watch them drink ;)

Oh hell yeah.. if you didn't have a heat pad on them - that's your problem. Room temperature is enough for them to survive, but not enough for them to feel..in the mood.. ;)

They need upper 80's, low 90's, then they eventaully all start taking off their clothes and dancing with each other. (it's getting hot in here...)

Personally, I lay three or four layers of egg cartons down, and lay a heating pad right over top of them. (note: my heating pad is patched out through a hole in the side of the container, a chord going up and out of the cage is as good as a ladder and a welcome sign to come and explore your house)

Oh hell yeah.. if you didn't have a heat pad on them - that's your problem. Room temperature is enough for them to survive, but not enough for them to feel..in the mood.. ;)

They need upper 80's, low 90's, then they eventaully all start taking off their clothes and dancing with each other. (it's getting hot in here...)

Personally, I lay three or four layers of egg cartons down, and lay a heating pad right over top of them. (note: my heating pad is patched out through a hole in the side of the container, a chord going up and out of the cage is as good as a ladder and a welcome sign to come and explore your house)

Since I have a glass tank I was just going to use one of these for heat. This is fine correct?

I put a large zoo med heat pad on the bottom of the glass tank and it doesn't seem to be getting it warm in there at all the temp is reading 78 and doesn't go past that. it ranges from 65 to 78 depending on the time of day. Should I just get a ceramic heat emitter?

Well...

If you know it's a good heatig pad..it should work. However, like I said I lay the pad right down on the roaches. I stack egg cartons and then lay the heating pad right over top, so it creates a heating dome.

You could try a ceramic heater though, that'd work too. But you do need to get the heat up to the high 80's for breeding.

Well...

If you know it's a good heatig pad..it should work. However, like I said I lay the pad right down on the roaches. I stack egg cartons and then lay the heating pad right over top, so it creates a heating dome.

You could try a ceramic heater though, that'd work too. But you do need to get the heat up to the high 80's for breeding.

The heat pad used to be on my chams tank when I bought them and Petco said they would need it (BS) yes I know now. It works cause I feel it warm it's just not making enough heat. I've put it on the bottom, I've put it on the top of the tank and I've put it inside the tank hanging about 2 inches above the highest part of their egg flats. :( I think I'm just going to get a heat emitter since I know those things kick off some heat.

Would you also be considering on how to build a contraption that converts glass to plastic? Or you could just buy a rubbermaid container...

Let me whisper this to you and all who house their temperate sensitive feeders who still use glass tanks to house feeders, (glass does not insulate as well as plastic).

If you want to go crazy use a styrofoam cooler. That might be the best insulator next to rubber.

Would you also be considering on how to build a contraption that converts glass to plastic? Or you could just buy a rubbermaid container...

Let me whisper this to you and all who house their temperate sensitive feeders who still use glass tanks to house feeders, (glass does not insulate as well as plastic).

Don't think anyones had any problem everyone I've spoke too has a glass tank for feeders. I have my crickets in a plastic bin and the moisture is insane. I've taken the top off and replaced it with paper towels.

Back
Top Bottom