Dubia Infestation

The bin had a matte finish. The bins must be completely smooth. Like Glass smooth. Not pretty smooth or somewhat smooth. Even on smooth sides if it is misted with hard water the mineral deposits over time can give them something to grip as can dust and dirt accumulation over time. Always use lids for everything. People forget its not only important to keep animals in but unwanted things out. They will not infest your home in Canada.

Thanks. you seem to be very knowledgable about roaches.

Last edited by a moderator:
I received some roaches from a friend and put them in a 5 gallon bucket and some in a 32 oz cup with vented lid. Anyhow~ none of my animals will eat them and they really creep me out so I put them outside to die. It has been around 2 weeks since they have been outside in the bucket. The adults are dead but the ones that are about an inch or so long are still alive. They are moving slowly but they ARE alive.
I just wanted to give this info so that people can see that they don't just die when they get cold. It has been very cold here, on certain nights reaching 20F, I am interested to see how long they can handle being out there, I am also debating on whether or not to feed them. Anyway~ my .02 cents

Thom O

I received some roaches from a friend and put them in a 5 gallon bucket and some in a 32 oz cup with vented lid. Anyhow~ none of my animals will eat them and they really creep me out so I put them outside to die. It has been around 2 weeks since they have been outside in the bucket. The adults are dead but the ones that are about an inch or so long are still alive. They are moving slowly but they ARE alive.
I just wanted to give this info so that people can see that they don't just die when they get cold. It has been very cold here, on certain nights reaching 20F, I am interested to see how long they can handle being out there, I am also debating on whether or not to feed them. Anyway~ my .02 cents

Thom O

the idea is that they can survive cold weather... but not reproduce... or at least very slow reproduction in extreme conditions.

but good info... im curious to see how long they will last as well.

I have some dubia in a tub that i don't feed or keep warm..... they don't seem to be doing that great even with moderate temps.

the idea is that they can survive cold weather... but not reproduce... or at least very slow reproduction in extreme conditions.

but good info... im curious to see how long they will last as well.

I have some dubia in a tub that i don't feed or keep warm..... they don't seem to be doing that great even with moderate temps.

Do they seem to be reproducing at all?

I have my dubias in a 50 gallom aquarium . I did the shipping tape & put a strip around the top sticky side exposed . i have caught 2 small dubias in the sticky stuff . That proves they can dind the seams on the shipping tape to me :) .

I just had some baby Dubia's escape. I know everyone says they can't infest but I have a woodstove for heating that gets really hot. I need to be reassured that they can't infest a house in Canada because I am really worried! It turns out the little buggers can climb plastic rubbermade bins!

yes they can climb thats why u have to get some clear packing tape and put it around the top edge they cant climb up that

Back
Top Bottom