Dubia Infestation

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
I purchased my first bunch of Dubia roaches today and immediately feel dread over a home infestation. I read up through the forums and everyone keeps saying nope they can’t infest a home, they’re from a tropical climate and so on. The problem there is….so are the invasive roaches! Invasive species thrive in homes in temperate climates because it’s warm enough for them to survive winter. So why are Dubia roaches different? I’ve considered taking them out to a field and dumping them. I’m in the northeast US so they can’t get invasive around here with freezing temps.

Welcome to my fear! I’m in Florida, where roaches just about own everything. I have had discoids escape in the past. I had some that escaped being eaten and found them living happy roachy lives inside the bioactive enclosures. I am yet to find any signs of infestation by them in my house though. Dubia and discoid are very similar and neither are very good climbers and can’t fly. I keep my colony and feeder group in smooth sided plastic bins. The feeders/nymphs have a lid that has a gasket seal even though they’d never get that high. The only roaches I have a problem with is the dratted palmetto bugs and have found a couple of wood roaches - all dead since I spray periodically. I also have traps set up as added insurance. I had Surinam roaches for a while and sold the colony. But since it only takes one female to make more, I still had Surinam roaches - they had been living in my isopod colony. Gave the whole bin away…and still had Surinam roaches living in a bioactive enclosure. Tossed all of that out and (fingers crossed), no longer have the stupid Surinams.

These things are flat and move fast. If I dropped one or a few, they would easily scurry out of sight and be in the home. I don’t know if I can handle this level of stress lol.

I purchased my first bunch of Dubia roaches today and immediately feel dread over a home infestation. I read up through the forums and everyone keeps saying nope they can’t infest a home, they’re from a tropical climate and so on. The problem there is….so are the invasive roaches! Invasive species thrive in homes in temperate climates because it’s warm enough for them to survive winter. So why are Dubia roaches different? I’ve considered taking them out to a field and dumping them. I’m in the northeast US so they can’t get invasive around here with freezing temps.
Yeah, I’ve been keeping Roches for years . If you don’t keep the temperature is right, they will die in their bins. Never once except for a few escapees have I found any kind of remote chance of infestation .

Only the tippy tip of florida and below can dubia live outside.

So lets say the worst case scenario happens, a preggers queen escapes.

Now lets say that she beat all the odds and managed to reverse the egg sack. But high odds the sack dries out and dies
Now lets say that the birth went well and you have 30-40 white little guys running around. But high odds of hatching inside of her instead and exploding.

They still are going to die. They wont be able to molt and will die trapped in their own shells.

About the only thing that can survive outside of the bin for weeks and weeks is an adult. And adults wont breed outside of the bin. It takes alot more than mommy roach finding daddy roach in a dark corner...

Only the tippy tip of florida and below can dubia live outside.

So lets say the worst case scenario happens, a preggers queen escapes.

Now lets say that she beat all the odds and managed to reverse the egg sack. But high odds the sack dries out and dies
Now lets say that the birth went well and you have 30-40 white little guys running around. But high odds of hatching inside of her instead and exploding.

They still are going to die. They wont be able to molt and will die trapped in their own shells.

About the only thing that can survive outside of the bin for weeks and weeks is an adult. And adults wont breed outside of the bin. It takes alot more than mommy roach finding daddy roach in a dark corner...
I’m not concerned with whether or not they can survive outside. I know they can’t, because the winters here in the northeast drop well below freezing.

I am asking if they can survive and reproduce within my home. Which is generally about 72 degrees snd 40-50% humidity. And I’m guessing the answer is…yes.

Thank you for providing some of that info. But what is different about the reproductive cycle of a Dubia roach as opposed to the German Cockroach?

I looked up what I could online. The females need a male for reproduction…OK that’s a given. They produce about 30 offspring in the form of larvae. OK…

So why can’t Dubia roaches survive and reproduce within homes in temperate climates?

Last edited:
I do not care if they can or cannot survive outside. I only care if they can and will invade my home. :) Thank you for providing some of that info. But what is different about the reproductive cycle of a Dubia roach as opposed to the German Cockroach? I guess that’s what I’m getting at.
I’m going to guess that it all depends on the conditions the different types of roaches need. Some like the invasive and nasty German roach can live and thrive in colder climates. Others needs high heat and have no cold tolerance.

I’m going to guess that it all depends on the conditions the different types of roaches need. Some like the invasive and nasty German roach can live and thrive in colder climates. Others needs high heat and have no cold tolerance.
I can’t handle this uncertainty. I’ll be served with divorce papers if I infest our home with roaches. Returned!

Imagine all the chirping in his home from the invasion of escaped crickets...

Anway im in ohio. Never had an invasion. Constantly lost feeders, cuz i just like to throw them several feed from the beardy or on the screen for the cham, and sometimes they miss...

They dont even survive during the spring summer when you think it was dubia healthy time.

Imagine all the chirping in his home from the invasion of escaped crickets...

Anway im in ohio. Never had an invasion. Constantly lost feeders, cuz i just like to throw them several feed from the beardy or on the screen for the cham, and sometimes they miss...

They dont even survive during the spring summer when you think it was dubia healthy time.
You know what, you’re absolutely right about the chirping! I’ve had a few escape and chirp all night from behind a radiator or a couch. Drives me nuts! But I’ve never heard of a German cricket infestation so I don’t mind.

I’ve noticed, for the occasional escapee in bio enclosures - if I put a small deli cup with a small dubia in it, and leave it, the escape will eventually end up in the cup, too. Has happened a few times - they somehow seek each other out.
I’ve had the same experience with grasshoppers . When I go to retrieve a couple, sometimes they escape. If I go back in the middle of the night, when the heat lamp is on, they’ll be on the outside of the cage next to the light where they all hang out

I’ve had the same experience with grasshoppers . When I go to retrieve a couple, sometimes they escape. If I go back in the middle of the night, when the heat lamp is on, they’ll be on the outside of the cage next to the light where they all hang out

I have had the same experience with small children. If you lose a few, just fine one and tell it to not leave the deck. Eventually the others get hungry/bored and will end up all together...

Put them in a large tub they can not climb which is why I keep them. I have mine in a tub that is in an aquarium lol. Overkill maybe but my family would kill me if they got out. I have had them this way the last 4 years and no issues. I also never free feed any feeders so lowers the risk of escape.

Floridian here as well…I’ve had some discoid escapees and Surinam in my house. I usually end up finding them. I have had many escapees outside, including red runners and I have never seen one in my house or even outside. I’ve been keeping roaches like other members for 4 years. I also keep the bin in my house during the winter. I think everyone gets that feeling of dread initially lol!

Maybe German roaches only take over really dirty houses. They have to be eating something to swarm like that, right?

Maybe German roaches only take over really dirty houses. They have to be eating something to swarm like that, right?
Actually, yes afaik, but I’m originally from New England where you only had roaches and bugs if you were dirty. In the south, it doesn’t matter how clean you are - you will get roaches if you don’t take preventative steps.

Actually, yes afaik, but I’m originally from New England where you only had roaches and bugs if you were dirty. In the south, it doesn’t matter how clean you are - you will get roaches if you don’t take preventative steps.
I hear that. We rented a beautiful home with a pool in Orlando and there were huge roaches in the garage!

Back
Top Bottom