Does Bean have MBD??!!!

The ER vet receptionist just told me that due to the weakness & her not eating that she most likely won’t pull through surgery & recommends putting her down. I just don’t want to do that yet. But I’m not sure if that’s my only option at this point. 💔😢
I agree with Beman, too, but it is VERY irresponsible not to mention illegal for a receptionist to diagnose over the phone! I know it is a long shot but a large dose of calcium along with IV fluids might allow her to have contractions. Sometimes vets assume us "reptile people" wont spend any money and think our animals are disposable-which is sometimes true-but not true of the people on this forum. You hang in there and keep advocating for the little girl.

Unfortunately what they are telling you is very true. The fact that she is laying the way she is and not supporting her weight lowers her chances of being able to make it through surgery. It shows how weak she is. You can of course pay for surgery and try but they are trying to be honest with you. Which is a hell of a lot more then others would do. I do not think her not eating is abnormal for a cham in her condition though.

In the end you have to decide what is best for her. If you feel like her getting the surgery is important to you then do it. The only thing in her favor is she has lasted as long as she has. Typically when we see them in the forum at this point it is a 24 hour downward spiral. They do not hold on like she is.
Thank you! I do appreciate her honesty, that’s the most I’ve gotten from EVERYONE I have called. I do love that she’s been holding on this long. She’s a fighter like ALL of us girls in this household. 😉

I appreciate EVERYONE in this forum so so much. You all have helped keep me sane at times I just wanted to loose it.

"If we are not open, or are unable to accommodate your pet’s emergency, please contact your local emergency hospitals which include:

Tanasbourne Veterinary Emergency at (503) 629-5800

DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital at (503) 228-7281

Emergency Veterinary Clinic of Tualatin - Not accepting exotics at this time. "...
https://www.scalesandtailspetclinic.com/contact-us
Literally have been on the phone with them everyday. The Tanasbourne had a 12 hour wait the other day & they want you to stay there the whole time which at times is impossible. I wasn’t there that day as Bean went the next day & was turned away after 5 hours because a dog needed surgery from eating metal. 😢

I agree with Beman, too, but it is VERY irresponsible not to mention illegal for a receptionist to diagnose over the phone! I know it is a long shot but a large dose of calcium along with IV fluids might allow her to have contractions. Sometimes vets assume us "reptile people" wont spend any money and think our animals are disposable-which is sometimes true-but not true of the people on this forum. You hang in there and keep advocating for the little girl.
That’s what I feel like they’re doing when I tell them I need her in NOW!! I just want her to be ok & be stronger than ever.

Thank you! I do appreciate her honesty, that’s the most I’ve gotten from EVERYONE I have called. I do love that she’s been holding on this long. She’s a fighter like ALL of us girls in this household. 😉

I appreciate EVERYONE in this forum so so much. You all have helped keep me sane at times I just wanted to loose it.
Beman…

I’m actually surprised she’s held on this long. Happy she drank yesterday. And today I’ve noticed that her eyes are starting to sink. I want to feed her, I tried yesterday & she was NOT having it. She’s stubborn like me

Beman…

I’m actually surprised she’s held on this long. Happy she drank yesterday. And today I’ve noticed that her eyes are starting to sink. I want to feed her, I tried yesterday & she was NOT having it. She’s stubborn like me
eyes starting to sink is not a good sign. But it also does not have anything to do with her going off food the last 6 days. This indicates illness. I would be concerned that her being egg bound she has now developed an infection.

@dinomom said..." I know it is a long shot but a large dose of calcium along with IV fluids might allow her to have contractions"... That could very well kick her into contraction so the hormone levels are ok...but if the eggs are too big or deformed or blocked then it could also cause a rupture. It's really not a good situation she's in.

eyes starting to sink is not a good sign. But it also does not have anything to do with her going off food the last 6 days. This indicates illness. I would be concerned that her being egg bound she has now developed an infection.

Attachments

• 385F5B7F-FCAB-4BBA-8535-75BDDA1E6ED9.jpeg
    385F5B7F-FCAB-4BBA-8535-75BDDA1E6ED9.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 77
  • 1BBFAC52-D32D-477F-BFEE-E6896EDDD9A5.jpeg
    1BBFAC52-D32D-477F-BFEE-E6896EDDD9A5.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 77
  • D74A11D4-C03B-46EB-921E-3AAB091C481A.jpeg
    D74A11D4-C03B-46EB-921E-3AAB091C481A.jpeg
    122.5 KB · Views: 69
  • B486CC65-3F92-4426-8660-BA043EC0A270.jpeg
    B486CC65-3F92-4426-8660-BA043EC0A270.jpeg
    117.6 KB · Views: 64
  • A7ED7A13-123D-4D59-936C-22A10D7DB190.jpeg
    A7ED7A13-123D-4D59-936C-22A10D7DB190.jpeg
    134.7 KB · Views: 66
  • F7787FA4-1ABB-4E57-97BE-3422456DF0DE.jpeg
    F7787FA4-1ABB-4E57-97BE-3422456DF0DE.jpeg
    134.6 KB · Views: 75
eyes are not that sunk in. I will say she does not have perfect angles to her front arms. Looking at it I can not tell if it is just swelling or if she may have MBD as well. IF MBD this explains a lot with her not wanting to lay. Eggbinding is very common in MBD females.

I’d wait for the vet. It’s not the best situation
I know it’s not. She wants to climb out of her box so bad. But her hind legs just don’t have the strength to help her up. Her grip is strong. I can’t even get her to open her mouth for me. She’s a stubborn one. I’m just so sad.
eyes are not that sunk in. I will say she does not have perfect angles to her front arms. Looking at it I can not tell if it is just swelling or if she may have MBD as well. IF MBD this explains a lot with her not wanting to lay. Eggbinding is very common in MBD females.
her back legs are the worst. I agree that she may have MBD now & it’s so so bad. I’ll get a pic later of her back legs if I can.

Got her in to the one ER vet. Got a calcium shot. Recommended surgery, but says the chances of her surviving it is very slim. Recommends to put her down. I’m just so heart broken & I couldn’t stop crying. Need to talk to my daughter to see what she would like to do.
May I ask for your opinion please?

Attachments

• 17D340B3-91DA-4AC6-B612-DEDA79BEDE2E.jpeg
    17D340B3-91DA-4AC6-B612-DEDA79BEDE2E.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 5E317941-4B6E-40C6-B2EA-D02CAEA5F4D1.jpeg
    5E317941-4B6E-40C6-B2EA-D02CAEA5F4D1.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 9BA3C7A9-2262-4988-B203-F17436C8B147.jpeg
    9BA3C7A9-2262-4988-B203-F17436C8B147.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 65
  • AD5C1756-7F51-4063-8BFD-26D4E06D6690.jpeg
    AD5C1756-7F51-4063-8BFD-26D4E06D6690.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 65D9AE0F-D8C2-46E3-A379-D631339F9AD2.jpeg
    65D9AE0F-D8C2-46E3-A379-D631339F9AD2.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 66
Got her in to the one ER vet. Got a calcium shot. Recommended surgery, but says the chances of her surviving it is very slim. Recommends to put her down. I’m just so heart broken & I couldn’t stop crying. Need to talk to my daughter to see what she would like to do.
If it were me I would try everything. Honestly looking at her she is alert, eyes open, Turrets are not sunken in. But she is huge and maybe getting those eggs out and spaying her would give her a fighting chance. Like I said before surgery is always risky with these guys. Ask how many times they have performed a spay on a chameleon.

Also in the end this is what is best for your family. If you decide to humanly euthanize her then that is a valid choice as well. I have dealt with this. There is a point where they just give up and are on deaths door and that is when I had to make the choice. It is not easy. None of this is. The only reason why I said that I would try the surgery is only because visually she is still alert and eyes are not sunk in. This shows there is still some fight to her. But this does not mean that the surgery will work either.

If you choose to move forward with surgery you will need to set up a hospital bin for her to be in until she regains some strength and heals.

I’d try everything just as Beman says. Surgery is a chance that could go well. You never know.

If it were me I would try everything. Honestly looking at her she is alert, eyes open, Turrets are not sunken in. But she is huge and maybe getting those eggs out and spaying her would give her a fighting chance. Like I said before surgery is always risky with these guys. Ask how many times they have performed a spay on a chameleon.
Great!! Will do thank you. I can’t express how much you have helped me calm down at times during this.

Back
Top Bottom