Does Bean have MBD??!!!

You said this is the information you were given...my comments are in capitals...
Mercury vapor light
NEVER USED THEM BUT SOME HAVE
Fluorescent tube down the cage
DOWN THE OUTSIDE OF THE CAGE?
Plexiglass on back and sides
FOR HUMIDITY AND INCREASING TEMPERATURES?
Thermometer down on bottom should read 85. -90
THIS SEEMS HIGH FOR THE BOTTOM OF THE CAGE AND MEANS THE TOO WILL BE EVEN HOTTER.
24" UVB
AT LEAST THIS MAKES SENSE
Thermometer away from heat and shade
AGAIN GOING TO MAKE IT TOO HOT
Cover fish tank with a box
FISH TANK? COVER WITH A BOX? AS WELL AS PLEXIGLASS ON THE SIDES/BACK? NOT UPSIDE DOWN OVER IT I HOPE!
Heat lamp on top
OK
No calcium powders
RIDICULOUS....HER MUSCLES NEED CALCIUM TO PUSH THE EGGS OUT AND THE EGGS WOULD HAVE USED UP A LOT OF CALCIUM FOR THE SHELLS, ETC.
Powdered reptile food and multivitamin
WHAT REPTILE FOOD?
Crusted gecko on insects once a week.
CAN'T COMMENT ON THIS BECAUSE I DON'T KNOW WHAT CRESTED GECKO THING THEY MEAN...IS IT FOOD FOR THE GECKOS? WHAT BRAND?

I'M NOT A VET BUT I HAVE OVER 30 YEARS OF CHAMELEON EXPERIENCE.
WHEN A CHAMELEON HAS MBD, TO CORRECT IT, THEY ARE GIVEN LIQUID CALCIUM IN ADDITION TO REGULAR SUPPLEMENTS, PROPER TEMPERATURES, WELL FED INSECTS, PROPER UVB. WITHOUT THIS SHE WILL ONLY GET WORSE.

IN ADDITION TO THIS, BEING GRAVID, SHE NEEDS CALCIUM FOR THE EGG SHELLS, EMBRYOS, MUSCLES TO LAY THE EGGS.
SHE NEEDS NUTRIENTS TO PUT IN THE EGGS. THE MORE EGGS SHE IS MAKING THE MORE OF EVERYTHING SHE NEEDS TO PUT INTO THE EGGS.

TO LAY THE EGGS, SHE SHOULD HAVE A PROPER PLACE TO DIG TO LAY THEM. IF SHE DIDN'T/HASN'T THEN SHE IS LIKELY EGGBOUND IF ITS BEEN MORE THAN 30 TO 40 DAYS SINCE SHE BECAME GRAVID. IF SHE IS EGGBOUND THE ONKY THING THAT WILL SOLVE IT IS SURGERY TO REMOVE THE EGGS.

IN ALL MY YEARS OF KEEPING CHAMELEONS AND MANY OTHER REPTILES, I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF INCREASING THE HEAT TO ACHIEVE EGG LAYING WORKING SO I WILL BE SHOCKED IF IT WORKS.

IT MAKES ME WONDER...DOES THIS VET HAVE CHAMELEON EXPERIENCE AT ALL? I HOPE YOUR CHAMELEON WONT SUFFER FOR LONG.

Last edited:
Sounds like this vet just has knowledge about geckos and gave you instructions for geckos instead of chameleons. Maybe he thinks the chameleons need the same temps and whatever that geckos do to lay eggs and that’s entirely wrong. I’m so sorry!

Sounds like this vet just has knowledge about geckos and gave you instructions for geckos instead of chameleons. Maybe he thinks the chameleons need the same temps and whatever that geckos do to lay eggs and that’s entirely wrong. I’m so sorry!
I wouldn’t even say gecko knowledge 😬

Bean is doing great!! She laid 83 eggs. Back in her big cage & is eating again.

Thank you everyone

Attachments

• CDA84347-01E7-47EF-AB0A-5E13B438E1E4.jpeg
    CDA84347-01E7-47EF-AB0A-5E13B438E1E4.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 70
Wow!
Where did she lay the eggs? In a hole or on the surface?
Did the vet xray her after to make sure she laid them all?

Why does she look so green? Do you have a green light on hate cage?

I’m so happy for you and bean! I hope she can recoup erase properly now! Given how many eggs she laid and her mbd I think it would be very prudent to cut back on her heat and how much she’s fed to help her have a much smaller clutch size next time.

She seems to be balancing on her own and everything. I’m so happy beans is feeling better. Hopefully you can adjust your husbandry to help her reduce clutches.

Back
Top Bottom